When did rush become big money makers???

nicky6

I would say by the roll the bones tour and cd..

cause there were 2 legs to that tour and the tickets were more money by 91-92, and roll the bones sold really well too and generated a lot new fans. unlike presto (which bombed). Alot of young people were getting into roll the bones at the time. plus. dreamline was a radio hit and mtv showed the video for roll the bones a lot.. Counterparts didn't fair as well and the tour was cut short due to a nasty cold geddy got.. any others?? on this..

Usually things switch when you start playing arenas rather then theatres. (i.e. Wembley Arena - or now O2 Arena - instead of Hammersmith Odeon in London)
  • Like 1

Yeah MP helped a ton however Counterparts blew up immensely (sold more than MP did), the late 90s is when they stopped touring in buses and flew in planes to their venues. Basically, the 90s really helped them become "money makers", but really most of the money they make goes back into touring (or it did :( ), now they probably save it, use it to remaster old concerts to be released, or make a new album (please dear god LOL)
  • Like 1

Yeah MP helped a ton however Counterparts blew up immensely (sold more than MP did), the late 90s is when they stopped touring in buses and flew in planes to their venues. Basically, the 90s really helped them become "money makers", but really most of the money they make goes back into touring (or it did :( ), now they probably save it, use it to remaster old concerts to be released, or make a new album (please dear god LOL)

Nah. Geddy uses it to travel, Neil buys cars and Alex buys pot.

• Like 1

Nah. Geddy uses it to travel, Neil buys cars and Alex buys pot.

:LMAO: lmfao, they're all having midlife crisis's

• Like 1

What a load of bollocks. I really hate this culture of the narrative in people's imagination becoming their reality.

Moving Pictures is the band's biggest selling album fact.

What you think is not a fact. Facts still matter.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures = 4.4 Million Sales in USA and Canada

Counterparts = 600,000 n USA and Canada.

Maybe Counterparts sold million and millions around the world but a quick internet search does not substantiate that...

• Like 1

Moving Pictures did blow them wide open- international super rock stars after that.

But I'm wondering why it was that Permanent Waves didn't do it instead.

Going off on a tangent, here, but I wonder if the commercial success of Moving Pictures is part of what enabled or encouraged them to go in such radically different directions over the succeeding years...probably not, as they always sort of blazed their own path. But I wonder.

Moving Pictures did blow them wide open- international super rock stars after that.

They certainly broke the UK earlier, where both AFTK and PW sold more than MP. Possibly as a consequence of the two singles, Closer and Spirit.

The American market is more of a slow burn so it was probably a cumulative effect of PW and MP, which were released only a matter of months apart after all...

• Like 1

Given that PoW was released in Oct of 85, I'm guessing The Big Money was made some time in the late spring/early summer. ;)
  • Like 1

I think it was in the book Visions that it was mentioned that after the release of Power Windows, Rush was making enough money to survive without touring. Touring from that point forward was no longer a necessity financially speaking. So I guess you could say after Power Windows. And from that point forward, I am pretty sure Neil tried to get out of touring!

cause there were 2 legs to that tour and the tickets were more money by 91-92, and roll the bones sold really well too and generated a lot new fans. unlike presto (which bombed). Alot of young people were getting into roll the bones at the time. plus. dreamline was a radio hit and mtv showed the video for roll the bones a lot.. Counterparts didn't fair as well and the tour was cut short due to a nasty cold geddy got.. any others?? on this..

Roll the Bones Tour was 4 legs (3 US and 1 UK/Euro.) Roll The Bones got a ton of record label support too. Arguably the most record label support ever for a Rush.album in the US.

Counterparts Tour was cut short because Geddy wanted to be home for the birth of his daughter.

• Like 2

Roll the Bones Tour was 4 legs (3 US and 1 UK/Euro.) Roll The Bones got a ton of record label support too. Arguably the most record label support ever for a Rush.album in the US.

103 shows. Snakes and Arrows had 114, second only to the Hemispheres tour, apparently.

:cheers:

Edited by goose

What is considered "big money?"

I think the "out of debt after MP" part, has to do with corporately, the band / Anthem label were out of debt. But, from what I've read over the years, somewhere in the AFTK / Hemispheres days, the guys all had nice homes and nice cars, like a Jaguar or something similar.

More to the point, it was just two years before the AFTK Tour that they were flat broke, nearly lost their deal with Mercury and were still playing half-filled small halls and high schools on the CS Tour (while driving around in a car.) So, within three years of Neil joining, they were headlining 3,000 seaters in the US and Europe and headlining 10,000 - 12,000 seat arenas in Canada.

So, the "big money" is relative.

When did the boys technically become millionaires? I recall reading an article in Canadian Musician Magazine just after the Hemisphere Tour (the one where Geddy is on the cover shot with a close up, holding one of his cats) where the writer called them "three millionaires." But, remember, if you have a net worth of $1,000,000, that makes you a millionaire...

• Like 1

They certainly broke the UK earlier, where both AFTK and PW sold more than MP. Possibly as a consequence of the two singles, Closer and Spirit.

The American market is more of a slow burn so it was probably a cumulative effect of PW and MP, which were released only a matter of months apart after all...

NM

Edited by Tony R