TOP TENS: Mastodon

Chronos

I love these guys so much. I can't listen to them every day, because there's something about their melodies that causes me to get all melancholic. I don't see them in "Albums You've Listened to Today" very often, but I know there are a few fans here, like Stormtron, Segue (hey, did you get around to sampling some BÖC?), and maybe PolarizeMe. I know there must be more.

My Top Ten tracks in no particular order (except I'm placing the Crack the Skye album tracks first because that album positively SLAYS).

The Czar

Don't stay, run away / The Tsarina has warned of the danger

The Ghost of Karelia

How long has it been since we flew through the shadows?

Oblivion

Leaving you behind with my lonesome song...

Dry Bone Valley

Leave this desert for the sick and damned...

Stargasm

And then we shift into overdrive, but you're not here

Blood and Thunder

White whale! Holy grail!

Break your backs and crack your oars, men!

The Wolf is Loose

The belly of the whale!

Colony of Birchmen

Lion slicerrrrr!

Asleep in the Deep

Throw salt in all the corners here / Make sure you watch him leave

Bedazzled Fingernails

Lay me down / Stand my ground

A stunning fan-made stop-motion animated video:

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 3

Yep I'm a fan of Mastodon (even sporting a Mastodon tee right now actually) and my top 10 could easily include the entire Crack The Skye album cause I still think it's their magnum opus. Believe it or not, half of your top 10 is also my top 10 as well!

In no particular order and in reverse chronological order:

Chimes At Midnight

Octopus Has No Friends

Bedazzled Fingernails

The Czar

The Last Baron (this could very well be my #1 favorite actually)

The Wolf Is Loose

This Mortal Soil

Blood And Thunder

Hearts Alive

Crusher Destroyer

• Like 3

I've heard of them but never listened. I just listened to the czar and will check out more when I get a chance. Need to figure out if I like the vocals or not. Obviously, the music is pretty solid. Technically great but listenable.
  • Like 1

I've heard of them but never listened. I just listened to the czar and will check out more when I get a chance. Need to figure out if I like the vocals or not. Obviously, the music is pretty solid. Technically great but listenable.

It's precisely the vocals that drew me in, when I heard "Colony of Birchmen" for the first time. I love Brent Hinds' voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQo9bwQ2rQc

Edited by Chronos

I would really have to dwell on that

But this thread is gonna make me go and tevisit all mt mastodon . Except for once more around the sun, i vowed not to give it another chance lol

Edited by djflex
  • Like 1

I love Brent Hinds' voice.

I dig Brent's vocal style as well, but I guess it's an acquired taste. Usually, I hear fans online thinking his vocals suck live pointing to Live At The Aragon as proof that he can't sing live. To their credit I think their criticisms weren't completely unjustified cause I thought there were a few spots on that release where his vocals fell flat for me but he definitely became a better live vocalist by the time I saw them live 2 years ago with Gojira and Kvlertak.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

It's precisely the vocals that drew me in, when I heard "Colony of Birchmen" for the first time. I love Brent Hinds' voice.

It sounded like there were two different vocalists in the czar. Is that true or is it all same guy?

It sounded like there were two different vocalists in the czar. Is that true or is it all same guy?

Everyone except Bill Kelliher (guitars) sings in Mastodon. Sometimes within the same song, usually one sings the verse, the other sings the chorus etc. In "The Czar", it's Brent Hinds (guitars) and Troy Sanders (bass) on vocals.
  • Like 1

Have you seen them live? None of the four can sing a lick. Good thing for them they are such amazing musicians.
  • Like 1

I dig Brent's vocal style as well, but I guess it's an acquired taste. Usually, I hear fans online thinking his vocals suck live pointing to Live At The Aragon as proof that he can't sing live. To their credit I think their criticisms weren't completely unjustified cause I thought there were a few spots on that release where his vocals fell flat for me but he definitely became a better live vocalist by the time I saw them live 2 years ago with Gojira and Kvlertak.

I think I saw that tour too. Was Kvlertak that band with the goof who wears the stuffed owl on his head? :wtf:

And I'm in the camp that thinks all of their vocals suck live. Still love them, and think they put on one hell of a show.

Since Mastodon is probably my second favorite band after Rush, I find it wicked cool seeing them getting some love.

Here are my ten in no particular order, except that Oblivion is my all time favorite song from the band.

Oblivion

The Czar

The Last Baron

Hearts Alive

Curl of the Burl

The Motherload

High Road

Black Tongue

Sleeping Giant

Blood and Thunder

Honorable mentions: Crystal Skull, Dry Bone Valley, Chimes At Midnight, and Ember City.

• Like 1

Have you seen them live? None of the four can sing a lick. Good thing for them they are such amazing musicians.

Out of all Brann has the best voice, still though, pretty much this is correct.

• Like 1

Everyone except Bill Kelliher (guitars) sings in Mastodon. Sometimes within the same song, usually one sings the verse, the other sings the chorus etc. In "The Czar", it's Brent Hinds (guitars) and Troy Sanders (bass) on vocals.

Bill did the vocals on Deathbound. And now the excellent video! :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdqz877e6F8

• Like 1

I think I saw that tour too. Was Kvlertak that band with the goof who wears the stuffed owl on his head? :wtf:

And I'm in the camp that thinks all of their vocals suck live. Still love them, and think they put on one hell of a show.

Yeah I'm sure Kvlertak was that band cause I remember a guy with a stuffed owl on his head as well.

Bill did the vocals on Deathbound. And now the excellent video! :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdqz877e6F8

Totally forgot about that one actually...it was a bonus track on The Hunter but my version doesn't have it!