Deepest rush lyrics

TheLountainofFamneth

I don't know if I can choose just one...however, the Hold Your Fire album is loaded with goodies, as far as heavy themes are concerned.

In the second half of the '80s, Neil was just on fire with the lyric-writing.

• Like 6

I don't know if I can choose just one...however, the Hold Your Fire album is loaded with goodies, as far as heavy themes are concerned.

Vapor Trials and Presto are two others that I'd cite as having very strong lyrics.
  • Like 5

I agree - while HYF and Presto are not my favorite albums musically, the lyrics are goldmines.

• Like 3

Vapor Trials and Presto are two others that I'd cite as having very strong lyrics.

VT is a strong album.

• Like 3

VT is a strong album.

A very dark album lyrically for obvious reasons, but with patches of hope.

ceiling unlimited - world so wide - turn and turn again

feeling unlimited - still unsatisfied - changes never end

This means more to me than Xanadu's lyrics; although Xanadu is very carefully structured and very clever, you never get a sense of what the writer is like. You get a cool story with well thought-out lines, but you don't really see the guy holding the pen, if this makes sense. There's more directness in VT I guess is what I'm trying to say, less "cleverness" (same with his drum parts), which helps me connect more with what he's written. :finbar:

• Like 4

I agree - while HYF and Presto are not my favorite albums musically, the lyrics are goldmines.

I happen to love them sonically, too. ;)

• Like 3

I don't consider any Rush lyrics deep, but a few of them speak to me more than others.

Yeah. I pretty much agree. Some of the original sources.that Neil lifts his ideas from are pretty deep, but the lyrics themselves, alone, not so much.
  • Like 2

The Cygnus story of a lone adventurer, the tragedy he endures, and eventual rebirth is what is special for me - I can project a lot into that tale from personal experience ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

All of Losing It, which is my favorite song lyrically. The way he conveys the sense of desperation after losing a perfected art is amazing, and in a way explains why he wants to retire before he can't play his songs anymore.

The Garden is also a personal lyrical favorite.

• Like 5

Yeah. I'd go with Power Windows and Hold Your Fire as best lyrics overall. A single song, I might pick Losing It. Don't know. There's a lot to choose from.

• Like 2

All of Losing It, which is my favorite song lyrically. The way he conveys the sense of desperation after losing a perfected art is amazing, and in a way explains why he wants to retire before he can't play his songs anymore.

Losing it is very well done. :yes:
  • Like 2

For me it's Bravado; pretty much the whole song gets me every time. Not sure if it's what I would call "deep" but it grabs me emotionally. Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

Breathe deep the gathering gloom, Watch lights fade from every room. Bedsitter people look back and lament,

Another day's useless energy spent. Impassioned lovers wrestle as one, Lonely man cries for love and has none.

New mother picks up and suckles her son, Senior citizens wish they were young. Cold hearted orb that rules the night,

Removes the colours from our sight. Red is grey and yellow white. But we decide which is right.

And which is an illusion?

WAIT, I'm Now being told this was NOT written by Neil Peart.....carry on

• Like 5

I happen to love them sonically, too. ;)

Obviously I like them, but IMO they are not top tier Rush albums. But that's a discussion for another time. :-)

We can walk our road together

If our goals are all the same

We can run alone and free

If we pursue a different aim

Let the truth of love be lighted

Let the love of truth shine clear

Sensibility

Armed with sense and liberty

With the heart and mind united

In a single, perfect sphere

• Like 9

I don't consider any Rush lyrics deep, but a few of them speak to me more than others.

Yeah. I pretty much agree. Some of the original sources.that Neil lifts his ideas from are pretty deep, but the lyrics themselves, alone, not so much.

I guess I can see that, too. But I think the best of his lyrics paint a very distinct picture- they are indelibly Neil...and the sources of those things are very deep and mature ideas.