Rush and Kansas: rivals?

fraroc

the Big Four Of Prog (Rush, Kansas, Yes, and ELP).

I'd say that's more debatable than a Rush / Kansas rivalry...

Indeed. A big four without King Crimson is ridiculous.

• Like 4

It is. It's more like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Genesis.

Edited by Stormtron
  • Like 3

It is. It's more like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Genesis.

:yes:

That's odd... I've always liked both bands, and get into moods to listen to them occasionally... Not one of my go to bands when I don't know what musical mood I'm in, but they make the serious rotation about once every two years (when I get into one of those...start with the first album, and listen to each successive one until I get tired of them, or get to the last one)

I pulled Point of Know Return and Two for the Show over the summer...

• Like 2

One is Canadian Prog, the other Hillbilly Prog. Hillbilly Progsters think Canadian Progsters have purty mouths...

Kansas isn't in the Appalachian or ozarks so not hillbilly

Yeah, sorry for being hopelessly human.

One is Canadian Prog, the other Hillbilly Prog. Hillbilly Progsters think Canadian Progsters have purty mouths...

For some reason I see Tony R dressed up as Vince Neil today.

• Like 2

You make it sound like there was some question in our minds about that.

Sometimes it really just does seem to me that there is sort of this disproportionate amount of disdain for Kansas by Rush superfans. I mean, I tried to make a thread about which of the two violinists Kansas had were better and a lot of the comments were either "I don't know who they are", "I don't know much Kansas other than Carry On", or a good amount of "Kansas is overrated and Rush and Yes are a billion times better."

Both bands kind of came out around the same time period and got popular around the same year (2112 and Leftoverture came out around the same time), so I would imagine that despite there not being a public rivalry or trash talking session, the two bands could be viewed as rivals.

• Like 1

In my twenty something years as a Rush fan, I have never been aware of a rivalry with Kansas. There could have been a quiet friendly one back in the day. But certainly nothing huge otherwise we would probably know about it.

Not sure where you're getting that Rush fans look down on Kansas. If you read around this forum, you'll find a lot of people who are big fans of both.

• Like 2

Kansas SUCKS!!

That's very useful and astute, thank you.

She means it like Primus sucks.

Primus is another terrible band tbh.

i don't think many people will be looking to you for advice about music though to be honest. :P

Good posting

• Like 1

Kansas and Styx make a better comparison.

I don't get this thread at all...sounds like someone got bored one afternoon and over thought a theory about a subject he knows little about.

• Like 2

Kansas and Styx make a better comparison.

I don't get this thread at all...sounds like someone got bored one afternoon and over thought a theory about a subject he knows little about.

It's no Texas King poll, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Rush was a metal trio back then, and while there was an overlapping of fans, Rush and Kansas were not mentioned in the same breath then as they might be now ..

Rush never toured with Kansas ... Rush toured with KISS, Thin Lizzy, Hawkwind, UFO, Ted Nugent, BOC, .38 Special, Aerosmith - and in '78 did shows with Judas Priest and AC/DC

I saw them in 1980 and Saxon opened

Rush was not one of the universally embraced "prog" type bands ..

They were a loud, overdramatic intense band with a singer not many prog fans appreciated

Kansas went down easy and were palatable while Rush was obnoxious and unique - that turned a lot of people off

• Like 1

Rush was a metal trio back then, and while there was an overlapping of fans, Rush and Kansas were not mentioned in the same breath then as they might be now ..

Rush never toured with Kansas ... Rush toured with KISS, Thin Lizzy, Hawkwind, UFO, Ted Nugent, BOC, .38 Special, Aerosmith - and in '78 did shows with Judas Priest and AC/DC

Lucas please don't do that. Rush have supported Kansas or have at least been on the same bill as them on several occasions in the mid 70s probably 2112 tour or ATWAS tour.

Lucas please don't do that. Rush have supported Kansas or have at least been on the same bill as them on several occasions in the mid 70s probably 2112 tour or ATWAS tour.

Tony, I went down their entire history and didn't see it ..

I'll go back and double check

Tony, I went down their entire history and didn't see it ..

I'll go back and double check

You don't need to. As arrogant as it seems if I say it it's true because why else would I contradict you on a "fact".

• Like 1

ok, I stand corrected ( the first time around I used the "find" feature and began disregarding after all the "Black Oak Arkansas" and "Wichita, Kansas" kept apprearing )

Anyways, I found five shows total:

- March 5, 1976 Randhurst Mall Ice Arena -- Mt. Prospect, Illinois (Kansas, Starcastle)

- November 15, 1976 Veterans Memorial Auditorium -- Des Moines, Iowa (Montrose, Kansas)

- February 15, 1977 Memorial Auditorium -- Chattanooga, Tennessee (Kansas)

- March 8, 1977 Scope Arena -- Norfolk, Virginia (Kansas, Rick Derringer)

- March 12, 1977 Capitol Theater -- Passaic, New Jersey (Kansas)

Perhaps he made a human mistake

• Like 1

Shots from the Feb 15th 1977 show in Chattanooga TN ( supporting Kansas )

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-chattanooga-02.15.1977/15.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-chattanooga-02.15.1977/5.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-chattanooga-02.15.1977/28.jpg

• Like 2