A second chance for S&A, on Vinyl

bootlegguy

So when this album came I was in a period when my fandom for Rush was down to a modest level. I didn't listen to the album much when it was new at all, didn't click right off the bad. I always liked far cry and MMB from watching the live blu ray over time, but even seeing the show in 08 I just remember selfishly wanting them to get to Red Barchetta to air drum with my buddies.

Anyways 9 years later, or almost 10, I am making an effort to revisit some of these works. After seeing TSS doc in theatres I noticed a shop here had S A vinyl for a great price, and also Presto, but that's another story. This is a quality pressing. Flat, heavy, centered. Pretty well mastered for a modern ablum.

I'm really glad I picked this up. It's a fantastic album. The first disc is so good I had a hard time moving onto disc 2. This studio version of Far Cry is amazing.

I'm enjoying this one more than Presto which is also on my "I'm not into that one" list, despite loving RTB right off the bat.

Edited by bootlegguy
  • Like 3

Another 'Grower' following the trend of less-popular recent Rush albums ?

First couple of listens one or two outstanding tracks followed by a lot of similar sounding allright songs. Keep listening.

Snakes & Arrows is one of my favourite Rush albums.

The production is indeed clean, crisp and muscular. Great songwriting and all three are on fine form. Alex is really good here. Preferring intricate subtlety over any technical flash with plenty of experimentation. Good to hear acoustic guitars add layer and texture.

Highlights? The Way The Wind Blows (Alex), the riff and fast jamming on Far Cry, folk rocker Larger Bowl, Armor and Sword is epic. The Main Monkey Business is one of the best pieces of music the band has ever produced. More instrumentals in future please gents.

Snakes is the sound of an evolving and maturing band sounding as good as they ever did.

I will take Snakes and Arrows over 2112 or Moving Pictures any day.

Another 'Grower' following the trend of less-popular recent Rush albums ?

First couple of listens one or two outstanding tracks followed by a lot of similar sounding allright songs. Keep listening.

Snakes & Arrows is one of my favourite Rush albums.

The production is indeed clean, crisp and muscular. Great songwriting and all three are on fine form. Alex is really good here. Preferring intricate subtlety over any technical flash with plenty of experimentation. Good to hear acoustic guitars add layer and texture.

Highlights? The Way The Wind Blows (Alex), the riff and fast jamming on Far Cry, folk rocker Larger Bowl, Armor and Sword is epic. The Main Monkey Business is one of the best pieces of music the band has ever produced. More instrumentals in future please gents.

Snakes is the sound of an evolving and maturing band sounding as good as they ever did.

I will take Snakes and Arrows over 2112 or Moving Pictures any day.

Wow...that's bold! In my opinion, anyway.

I like Snakes...it's good. Some of it is very, very good. Favourite song on it is Workin' Them Angels.

I think three instrumentals are a little much, for one Rush album.

I think it would be a better album, more concise, more piowerful overall, if it were cut down to 45-50 minutes, rather than an hour plus.

:blah:

That is all.