R40 Set 2

winter17

Is the second set potentially the best set Rush has ever played, top to bottom?

• Like 3

Meh.

:LOL:

It was incredible, and a heck of a way to go out! Got to share it with my long-time RUSH buds from the Northwest, which was great fun. And Jacob's Ladder... :drool:

• Like 3

The section from Narural Science to 2112 was the best they'd done in years. Jacob's Ladder still gives me chills. And that light show was the best ever. Howard was at the top of his form.
  • Like 5

I would go with the Hemispheres setlist. It certainly has the advantage of being from the era where there was only one long set and thus gets the benefit of not being one of two sets from a show:

Anthem

Bangkok

By Tor

Xanadu

Something For Nothing

Trees

Cygnus X1

Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

Circumstances

Farewell To Kings

La Villa

Working Man

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drums

• Like 4

Yes. First time I saw them do an extended set of 70s material since MP tour (back then it would have been difficult NOT to!).

Next tour came Signals - the comedy and overall goofiness - and focus on their synth material live. Gone was their edgy and heavy live sound . A rather long wait, then 35 R40 shows later, history written. That's what made their first ever lack of a second leg disappointing, they FINALLY featured an extended set of 70s material, ONLY because it was their last chance to do so.

If it was perfect to my liking, they would have cut out MMB and the VT song, ended Set 1 with Moving Pictures, opened Set 2 with Spirit of Radio and then (finally) have La Villa after Jacob's Ladder.

This is a cool idea. And it works, as TSOR can shoulder the set opener status. And set one therefore ends with even more crowd energy than Subdivisions provides, and that is saying a lot.