One bad move on the vapor trails tour was - - - - -

nicky6

Set list placement,, the should have never put bravado after "the pass, too many slow songs in a row, should have not played bravado at all and just went right into the big money after "the pass, just my opinion.. I think it slowed the action down too much doing it that way..

Not playing more songs from the Vapor Trails album, even on a rotation basis

Yep, some great songs on there never saw the light of day.

Only 4 new songs each show, compared with 9 on the S&A and CA tours...

Coming back from hiatus had a lot to do with that.

Also, R30 allowed Rush to play a lot of older songs (even if some were part of a medley). I think THAT and the fact that they were excited about S&A made them want to play more tracks from their newest album.

VT and its tour was more about survival and being able to successfully do it or not.

• Like 4

The biggest mistake of all: Where was Subdivisions?

I'd guess it was either in the high school halls, shopping malls, basement bars or the backs of cars http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0006.gif
  • Like 5

I'd guess it was either in the high school halls, shopping malls, basement bars or the backs of cars http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0006.gif

It was being rested and New World Man was being played in its stead. Wasn't that the first year that the petition was started asking Rush to play certain songs on that tour? I remember New World Man was pretty high on the list I saw. So I think they pulled it out and gave Subdivisions a rest.

It makes sense, Wil. But if I was to chose what to be taken out of that setlist, it would have been Bravado for sure, and put Subdivisions back in.

Yea I like Bravado, and I know they do too, I think they have played it on pretty much every tour since it came out. I guess they felt one Signals song was enough.

A bad memory I have of the tour is the wind pretty much ruining the show at the Gorge, WA. T4E had been a perfect night (one that Neil wrote about), but gale-force winds made the VT show a real bummer. The follow-up Portland show - to a half-filled arena - was stellar!
  • Like 2

I remember Geddy saying somewhere how tough a lot of Vapor Trails stuff was to play and I remember before that tour started he made a comment in an interview when asked about new stuff to play he said it depends on what he could sing and play bass at the same time proficiently. Now this is Geddy I know, really what can't he do but maybe that had something to do with it. The only stuff off vapor trails never done live that I would be interested in would be Peaceable Kingdom, VT, Stars Look Down and Freeze. Out of those the only one I wish they would have done was PK.

Remember for S&A, there were quite a few instrumentals, a couple were very short which also helped increase the total count from that album. Even though I dug the album at the time its funny because now I feel like it was one of their worst. It just hasn't held up after years.

• Like 1

A bad memory I have of the tour is the wind pretty much ruining the show at the Gorge, WA. T4E had been a perfect night (one that Neil wrote about), but gale-force winds made the VT show a real bummer. The follow-up Portland show - to a half-filled arena - was stellar!

...I remember the T4E show. Absolutely awesome. One of the best shows I've seen from any band. Didn't go to the VT tour. Weather is either one of two ways at the Gorge... great or freaking awful.

• Like 1

That's why I hate most of the 1990s setlists. They made a huge mistake when they started cutting hits for new songs that didn't go over well. I mean, on the Presto tour, they thought it was a good idea to cut f***in' The Spirit Of Radio for the beginning of the tour.

That's why I hate most of the 1990s setlists. They made a huge mistake when they started cutting hits for new songs that didn't go over well. I mean, on the Presto tour, they thought it was a good idea to cut f***in' The Spirit Of Radio for the beginning of the tour.

I always want to hear the new songs rather "the hits" myself.

• Like 2

I always want to hear the new songs rather "the hits" myself.

I'd rather hear Subdivisions than Vapor Trail any day

That album is my absolute favourite Rush album, yet, they only played 3 songs from it. Earthshine, One Little Victory and Ceiling Unlimited. Wth? Usually they try to play almost all the songs from it, but not that one. So disappointed
  • Like 1

That album is my absolute favourite Rush album, yet, they only played 3 songs from it. Earthshine, One Little Victory and Ceiling Unlimited. Wth? Usually they try to play almost all the songs from it, but not that one. So disappointed

Don't forget when they alternated Ghost Rider with Ceiling(coolest song BTW)
  • Like 1