Facebook ain't all bad!

ILSnwdog

Yesterday, I get home from church, and I decide that I'm going to start a fire and burn all the leaves from my yard. The first thing I do when I get home is let my three dogs out. I start the fire, and I split a log for more wood, and I notice the dogs stopped barking. I call them and I see Payton the Sheltie and Sven the German Shepard, but I don't see Shelby, our 12 year old Old English Sheepdog. She is old, with bad eyes, and she is kind of senile. I fear the worst. I go off looking for her, and a car pulls up, asking me if I'm looking for a dog. I tell them yes, and the tell me where they saw her cross the street. I go looking for her, calling her, but I can't find a trace of her. There is a big summer camp across the street, with lots of forest, and that is where she went. My wife get home from shopping with the kids, and I tell her what happens. Of course, she goes off on me because it happened on my watch. We look for her for the next four hours. We walk all over in the camp across the street. I drive around looking for her. My in-laws also came over to help with the search. We stop our search when the sun went down. My wife goes on facebook and makes a post (picture below), asking everyone in the area to look for her, and asks people to share the post.

14925628_10210164026924831_6666836348952251356_n.jpg?oh=73ec75c442635a5e1881f2edc2e164dd&oe=58C9CA66

I start making dinner for the family and the in-laws. My wife continues to drive around the neighborhood looking for her. After we eat, the in-laws go home, and my wife continues her search, walking up and down the street with a flashlight, calling for Shelby. She is a sobbing mess. I tell her to go in, and that I would stay outside for a while and listen for her (the wife is convinced that she has heard her barking). We finally turn in at 10:30.

At 3:00 this morning, my wife wakes me up and says "someone rang the doorbell." I jump out of bed and put some clothes on. I go to the door, and I see a cop standing there. I open the door, and he says "Are you James?" I say yes. He says "you missing a puppy?" I scream "YES", and he replies "I have her. Someone in the development on the other side of the camp recognized her from a Facebook post, and called the police."

Shelby was very tired and VERY hungry. :LOL: She was an absolute mess. All full of burrs, and it looks like she walked through a marsh or something! I know a lot of people like to rip on Facebook. I certainly get tired of all of the narcissistic ramblings of people posting stupid trivial happenings throughout their day...but without Facebook, I don't know if we would have gotten our dog back.:)

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 17

Facebook IS great for stuff like that. Last Friday there was a big fire in my town, and though luckily no one was hurt, four houses and their entire contents were lost. Facebook has been a great resource for organising help and donations for the affected families.
  • Like 2

So happy you got your pooch back. Having been through that, but for nearly as long, I know it's a terrible feeling. I highly recommend some tags for collars that have phone numbers on them. That saved me a lot of time and misery once. An example below that would have the numbers on the opposite side.5ea8dece1daf2dfe88500a31c9c1fe2a.jpg Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 2

So happy you got your pooch back. Having been through that, but for nearly as long, I know it's a terrible feeling. I highly recommend some tags for collars that have phone numbers on them. That saved me a lot of time and misery once. An example below that would have the numbers on the opposite side.5ea8dece1daf2dfe88500a31c9c1fe2a.jpg

She does have tags. She has one like this.

http://www.athleticpets.com/images/sox-round-id-tag.jpg

I suppose we would have gotten her back at some point. If the people hadn't have recognized her from the facebook post, I don't think they would have gone and gotten her at 2:00 in the morning.

• Like 1

So happy you got your pooch back. Having been through that, but for nearly as long, I know it's a terrible feeling. I highly recommend some tags for collars that have phone numbers on them. That saved me a lot of time and misery once. An example below that would have the numbers on the opposite side.

I suppose we would have gotten her back at some point. If the people hadn't have recognized her from the facebook post, I don't think they would have gone and gotten her at 2:00 in the morning.

As a dog loving Cubs fan, I would have been very conflicted. :D
  • Like 1

So happy you got your pooch back. Having been through that, but for nearly as long, I know it's a terrible feeling. I highly recommend some tags for collars that have phone numbers on them. That saved me a lot of time and misery once. An example below that would have the numbers on the opposite side.

As a dog loving Cubs fan, I would have been very conflicted. :D

Sven's dog tag looks like this:

c6e733c58788159cf4f05ff2dfde4219.jpg

And Payton's looks like this:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/6862/products/bears-nl-tag_large.jpg?v=1377705849

If they get lost, it's good to know I don't have to worry if Cub fans find her. :P

So happy you got Shelby back! :wub: :hug2:

You should have seen how elated my wife was when Shelby walked through the door. :)

I'm happy this story had such a happy ending. :D

• Like 2

I'm so glad she got back ok! I'm not sure I would have been calm enough to answer if I opened the door and found a cop at 3 am, though!

I'm a pretty chill dude. ;)
  • Like 1

So happy you got Shelby back! :wub: :hug2:

You should have seen how elated my wife was when Shelby walked through the door. :)

I'm happy this story had such a happy ending. :D

Awwww! :wub:

• Like 1