After "Time Stand Still": Do you think they'll play again?

zappafrank

While I highly doubt that we'll see them live again, I highly doubt Clockwork was the last album. While anything is possible, and it still could be a fitting finale, I've never heard Neil talk bad about recording. They would likely take it at a slow pace, and it would come out in late 2019 or so if they started working on it in, say, the spring of next year. Maybe they'd play a show or something, but I doubt it. As we've seen Ged and Al have both done little bits and pieces musically recently. Also, Ged must be hoping for something (be it Rush or solo), because he continues to buy basses. Maybe we'll see a Ged/Al supergroup or something. I doubt Ged and Al are done. I also think Neil isn't done in music- he's done with live shows, and I think that won't change.
  • Like 1

I think they're done, and if they are, i'm happy they ended on a high note instead of playing endless soulless greatest hits runthroughs.

I'm glad that R40 wasn't like this -

Tom Sawyer

Subdivisions

Limelight

Freewill

YYZ

Red Barchetta

The Big Money

Clockwork Angels

The Trees

The Spirit of Radio

2112 Overture/Temples

Working Man

... could've easily been that if they played their show like Journey (although the current Journey show is very enjoyable)

No.

The last tour was perfect.

The Garden as the last song on their last studio album is perfect.

It's over.

THIS!!!!

They went out on top. "Clockwork" was their masterpiece to them.

Geddy and Alex will keep busy recording.

Selfishly I'm glad the boys retired the same year I got divorced.

I can't afford to chase my band around the country anymore............

So fuckking SAD!

• Like 1

So fuckking SAD!

Yup, this exactly.

• Like 1

No.

It's over.

THIS!!!!

So fuckking SAD!

The one thing I won't miss is the ticket buying circus. It was light-years beyond the point of ridiculous - the very second Tampa tickets go on sale (that's pre-sale!) and there were instantly more than 8000 tickets available for 3x-10x prices on stubhub or ticketbastard's after market shop. Inside job? Sooooooo will not miss that!

No.

It's over.

THIS!!!!

So fuckking SAD!

The one thing I won't miss is the ticket buying circus. It was light-years beyond the point of ridiculous - the very second Tampa tickets go on sale (that's pre-sale!) and there were instantly more than 8000 tickets available for 3x-10x prices on stubhub or ticketbastard's after market shop. Inside job? Sooooooo will not miss that!

Not an inside job, just modern ticket buying hassles for big-name acts. It's like this for every major act. You either need to get lucky through any presale, take a lot of time clicking and releasing until something pops up, pay an online broker or get lucky last minute.

While I highly doubt that we'll see them live again, I highly doubt Clockwork was the last album. While anything is possible, and it still could be a fitting finale, I've never heard Neil talk bad about recording. They would likely take it at a slow pace, and it would come out in late 2019 or so if they started working on it in, say, the spring of next year. Maybe they'd play a show or something, but I doubt it. As we've seen Ged and Al have both done little bits and pieces musically recently. Also, Ged must be hoping for something (be it Rush or solo), because he continues to buy basses. Maybe we'll see a Ged/Al supergroup or something. I doubt Ged and Al are done. I also think Neil isn't done in music- he's done with live shows, and I think that won't change.

No album and no tour. There's no money in an album. And Neil said (paraphrasing here... it's the album we always wanted to make). They're retired, sadly.

• Like 1

No.

It's over.

THIS!!!!

So fuckking SAD!

Not an inside job, just modern ticket buying hassles for big-name acts. It's like this for every major act. You either need to get lucky through any presale, take a lot of time clicking and releasing until something pops up, pay an online broker or get lucky last minute.

8000 tickets (with rows and seat number) on stubhub/TM "post-market" the very second that the pre-sale goes live? that's not "lucky clicking"

Neil is never going to play drums professionally again. I highly doubt he plays them at home. Ged and Alex can cash in on their celebrity by writing with or guesting on other musicians songs. Not a bad life . It is certainly not as profitable . If Ged and Al needed a gig where they generate the kind of income they had in Rush they would need to form a band . A BAND WITHOUT NEIL .It is a fact there is no Rush without Neil so there is no Rush. Ged and Al might try to resurrect Rush without Neil but the shitstorm coming from that would probably sink the project before it gets started.If there was a way Rush could keep going Ged and Al would of done it by now . I understand some fans and especially Geddy and Alex want to continue but it is over . Even they are smart enough to understand that hiring a pro drummer and touring will just diminish the legacy. Best to just leave alone.
  • Like 1

Neil is never going to play drums professionally again. I highly doubt he plays them at home. Ged and Alex can cash in on their celebrity by writing with or guesting on other musicians songs. Not a bad life . It is certainly not as profitable . If Ged and Al needed a gig where they generate the kind of income they had in Rush they would need to form a band . A BAND WITHOUT NEIL .It is a fact there is no Rush without Neil so there is no Rush. Ged and Al might try to resurrect Rush without Neil but the shitstorm coming from that would probably sink the project before it gets started.If there was a way Rush could keep going Ged and Al would of done it by now . I understand some fans and especially Geddy and Alex want to continue but it is over . Even they are smart enough to understand that hiring a pro drummer and touring will just diminish the legacy. Best to just leave alone.

I agree and disagree with various points here. But I'll only comment on the "will diminish the legacy" bit. I disagree. As an example, I can't think of anything that The Who, Pink Floyd, or Led Zepp has done that's diminished their legacy. Rush's legacy as well as those 3 legendary bands' are intact and will remain so. I don't really want a new drummer playing with Lee & Lifeson and it called "Rush" but I don't think doing so would undo the 40 years of greatness.

"Best to just leave alone", I think so too. "Diminish the legacy", no.

• Like 2

Honestly, the best we have to hope for is another record, but I think that's doubtful. I wish I could be optimistic and hopeful and say "Oh yeah they could go out one more time." That one last time already happened.
  • Like 3

Honestly, the best we have to hope for is another record, but I think that's doubtful. I wish I could be optimistic and hopeful and say "Oh yeah they could go out one more time." That one last time already happened.

Perfect summary of my perception.

• Like 1

Don't think someone can walk away from a craft to spend time with his family and never be seen again?????????????

Google: Rick Moranis

Dig a little deeper and you'll find that it was because he was a single parent and felt it was too hard to work and be a parent. Also, he admitted he hasn't really retired but just became more selective. (He wisely declined a cameo in the Ghostbusters reboot).

He put out a comedy album 2-3 years ago so he's not totally out of showbiz.

I´d do it if I could afford it. These days, all the recognition I could want comes from my roles as father and husband. I could go without working easily.

I don't miss work at all. :no:
  • Like 1

I would not completely count out a one off reunion show at some point down the road. or maybe some other appearance for a reunion tribute, where they could play just a couple of songs and let younger guys do the heavy lifting. R50 Comedy Central roast?
  • Like 1