"Time Stand Still" Movie - The Drummer Slows His Frantic Pace In Pain and Desperation

Geddyleegenes

I wasn't able to make it out to see this in the theater. I am looking forward to watching the DVD. I better have tissues close at hand. :(

I feel fortunate that I did go last night.

But anyone who didn't will only have to wait a couple of weeks!

It'll be a good experience, no matter what or when.

Yeah that's what I figured too. I can wait a couple weeks. Actually I am looking forward to it but also not. I have mostly accepted that it is over but I am sad about it. I am more sad for Geddy and Alex who clearly weren't ready to be done. My heart is broken for them.

• Like 2

Apparently Neil has been trying to quit touring since the FBN days.

In interviews he's said things to the contrary many times over in the 80s to at least the early 90s. He may not even remember saying (or maybe feeling) those things though.

It's hyperbole to say that he's been "trying to quit touring" since the Fly By Night days. While I wouldn't doubt that he's been bitching about the touring process since then, I don't believe he would have been able to do it for all these years if he truly didn't want to. If he had really been "trying to quit touring" since then, I'm pretty sure that Rush would have ground to a halt during those early years when it was more-or-less all they did.

Also, I don't think people are understanding the difference between disliking the touring process and not wanting to play live. Neil has obviously very much wanted to play live throughout the years, and has said so many times, including stating unequivocally on a few occasions that he enjoys the actual performing, but doesn't like all the boredom and hassle surrounding it. Having had an exciting, creative job that involved extensive travel myself, I can relate to that. It can be a fun adventure at first, but soon you really feel the conflict between your desire to do a job that you genuinely love, and having to gird yourself against the wearying grind of extensive travel.

Did you see the doc? That's where my info came from. My statement is not hyperbole. Maybe the comment in the doc was but I can only report what was said.

• Like 1

In interviews he's said things to the contrary many times over in the 80s to at least the early 90s. He may not even remember saying (or maybe feeling) those things though.

It's hyperbole to say that he's been "trying to quit touring" since the Fly By Night days. While I wouldn't doubt that he's been bitching about the touring process since then, I don't believe he would have been able to do it for all these years if he truly didn't want to. If he had really been "trying to quit touring" since then, I'm pretty sure that Rush would have ground to a halt during those early years when it was more-or-less all they did.

Also, I don't think people are understanding the difference between disliking the touring process and not wanting to play live. Neil has obviously very much wanted to play live throughout the years, and has said so many times, including stating unequivocally on a few occasions that he enjoys the actual performing, but doesn't like all the boredom and hassle surrounding it. Having had an exciting, creative job that involved extensive travel myself, I can relate to that. It can be a fun adventure at first, but soon you really feel the conflict between your desire to do a job that you genuinely love, and having to gird yourself against the wearying grind of extensive travel.

Did you see the doc? That's where my info came from. My statement is not hyperbole. Maybe the comment in the doc was but I can only report what was said.

Yes, I saw the doc, and I think that he was speaking hyperbolically.

It had its moments for sure. It was a nice 120 minute escape. I got lost in it.

I got there 5 minutes late due to traffic and bought my ticket. I'd say the theater was a bout half full. There were a few false starts and the it finally got going around 8. Theater staff were apologetic and gave out free passes to another show because of the delay. Instant stocking stuffer!

• Like 1

I heard that from someone else too, were you in Hamilton??

Yup.

Comedy of errors in the beginning. People were playing bits Limelight, The Spirit Of Radio and 2112 on their phones. It was pretty funny.

It was a very low key affair. Couldn't find a poster for it anywhere.

Yeah, he kept messaging me. "Nothing yet" ,"nothing yet." Glad it worked out and a free movie is cool! Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 1

I didn't think it would have such an effect.....It was like my whole Rush life flashed before my eyes.......They will forever be ingrained in me! :)

After seeing this movie sadly i can see why I got divorced last year.

I spent lots of money on Rush tickets and travel over the decades instead of putting in a new kitchen.

Luckily I kept my land and my house so i still have my old kitchen with all of my Rush memories still intact.

I have no regrets.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

Haha...yes, it seems he was really never enamored with it at all.

It's a good bet that a LOT of rock musicians - and musical performers in general - do not like touring.

Yes, it's how they earn their paychecks, but aside from the financial aspect, it's a total grind. Physically, mentally, and emotionally, it's no different than being a truck driver, or traveling construction worker, or any other profession that keeps you away from home for long periods of time.

I didn't think it would have such an effect.....It was like my whole Rush life flashed before my eyes.......They will forever be ingrained in me! :)

After seeing this movie sadly i can see why I got divorced last year.

I spent lots of money on Rush tickets and travel over the decades instead of putting in a new kitchen.

Luckily I kept my land and my house so i still have my old kitchen with all of my Rush memories still intact.

I have no regrets.

Yeah "stuff" is well, just stuff. Music that you love feeds the soul and stays with you forever. You definitely made the right choice in how to spend your coin man.

I'm sure the kitchen still serves its primary function of storing and cooking food just fine, so really how is a newly remodeled one more important than Rush concerts anyway?

Edited by driventotheedge

Neil certainly did perform like a trooper on the tour, but really, he brought that extra pain on himself. You don't slog around with soaking wet feet for a whole day in heavy boots. If that were me, I'd be wanting a break and then a quick last leg added with healthy feet to put a nicer ending on the last tour instead of suffering through almost all of it. But that's just me. Anyway, I don't assume that once Neil's child is a little older, and he's had a ton of time off that he won't consider writing another song or two, or maybe playing a one-off show for a 50th anniversary if he doesn't become a couch potato for the next 8 years.

Yeah, he kept messaging me. "Nothing yet" ,"nothing yet." Glad it worked out and a free movie is cool!

That's pretty funny. My son wanted to be there but he was at school so we were messaging back and forth and I kept texting him at various intervals "Still waiting...." Still waiting...."

I suppose I could use the free pass for the encore showing, but I don't need to see it on the big screen again even for free. I wasn't blown away by it as a whole.

Yeah, he kept messaging me. "Nothing yet" ,"nothing yet." Glad it worked out and a free movie is cool!

That's pretty funny. My son wanted to be there but he was at school so we were messaging back and forth and I kept texting him at various intervals "Still waiting...." Still waiting...."

I suppose I could use the free pass for the encore showing, but I don't need to see it on the big screen again even for free. I wasn't blown away by it as a whole.

Really? I liked it so much, plus just for that little bit of time, I felt like they weren't "gone."

Really? I liked it so much, plus just for that little bit of time, I felt like they weren't "gone."

It had it's moments. I like Beyond The Lighted Stage better although this is really a different thing.

I guess I don't see them as being "gone" even if the band is done. Their legacy is undeniable.

It had it's moments. I like Beyond The Lighted Stage better although this is really a different thing.

I guess I don't see them as being "gone" even if the band is done. Their legacy is undeniable.

Well yes, indeed. I guess I meant gone as in, we'll never see them tour again. But never gone from our memories! Or our stereos or iPods or turntables, lol.

• Like 1

Well yes, indeed. I guess I meant gone as in, we'll never see them tour again. But never gone from our memories! Or our stereos or iPods or turntables, lol.

I'm OK with never seeing them live again (if it turns out that way and it probably will) I sort of knew going in and I enjoyed the hell out of the two shows attended although they weren't really consistently at their best. (Truth be told, I thought they were much better for the Clockwork Angels tour although R40 had a few highlights (mostly in the first set and witnessing Losing It really put the exclamation point on it for me)).

So experiencing that live and watching about 75 percent of the tour through periscope and making those "sacrifices." made it very clear that it was time. During that time, Alex was the guy I was most worried about after seeing him play -- not even knowing what Neil suffered through. A lot of that was a bit painful to watch for me (especially through most of the the first two thirds of the tour) although they seemed to be enjoying themselves up there..

I actually made peace with never seeing them again after the Clockworks Angels tour because I couldn't see them topping it and I don't think they ever did overall.

But I guess we all have different expectations....

• Like 2

I'm OK with never seeing them live again (if it turns out that way and it probably will) I sort of knew going in and I enjoyed the hell out of the two shows attended although they weren't really consistently at their best. (Truth be told, I thought they were much better for the Clockwork Angels tour although R40 had a few highlights (mostly in the first set and witnessing Losing It really put the exclamation point on it for me)).

So experiencing that live and watching about 75 percent of the tour through periscope and making those "sacrifices." made it very clear that it was time. During that time, Alex was the guy I was most worried about after seeing him play -- not even knowing what Neil suffered through. A lot of that was a bit painful to watch for me (especially through most of the the first two thirds of the tour) although they seemed to be enjoying themselves up there..

I actually made peace with never seeing them again after the Clockworks Angels tour because I couldn't see them topping it and I don't think they ever did overall.

I haven't really made peace yet because even though I've been a fan for 30 years, I only ever saw them a few times and now I wish I had seen them so many more. Ah well. As we said, the music will live on.

• Like 2

I haven't really made peace yet because even though I've been a fan for 30 years, I only ever saw them a few times and now I wish I had seen them so many more. Ah well. As we said, the music will live on.

It sure will...as well as their attitude toward life in general.

• Like 1