"Time Stand Still" Movie - The Drummer Slows His Frantic Pace In Pain and Desperation

Geddyleegenes

Just saw the "Rush - Time Stand Still" movie. I've got to say, this is one of the truly saddest movies I have ever seen. I had tears in my eyes at the end, and I'm not the kind of guy who tears-up at movies.

While I thought I knew what Neil "must have" been going through during his performances on the R40 tour, in actuality, there really was no way whatsoever for me to truly know. Learning during this movie, of the pain and suffering Neil was really experiencing is enough for me to regrettably say, "Neil, go ahead and retire. You deserve it, man."

Of course, the movie wasn't all sadness. There was plenty of opportunities for howls of laughter, and to even learn some new things about the band, such as their youngster dreams of acquiring a station wagon to tour in, and then - glory of glory - a mini-camper! That was all new to me. Ray Daniels once fired Geddy from the band?! That information seemed new even to Ray himself. But Geddy's memory couldn't be wrong about something like that, could it?

Really surprising to me was learning that Neil had picked up a fungus while riding his motorcycle through hopeless rains between gigs. An awful, painful fungus on the bottoms of his feet. And the man still performed! Incredible as well as horrible.

And something which simply had not occurred to me prior to seeing this movie: The entire Rush crew - the roadies, drivers, sound guys, lighting guys. All the backstage and forward-stage workers who Geddy, Alex and Neil consider family. The movie clearly shows that they all knew that the end was upon them. They knew that that last show at the Los Angeles Forum was going to be THEE last show.

I myself have been easily able to dismiss any "End of Rush" severities. I've held hope that Neil would simply one day soon change his mind and say, "Guys, I've just got to tour, it's in my soul!" But the Rush crew knew otherwise long ago. They accepted it long ago. The movie shows Geddy and Alex accepting it. They may both have a slight hope otherwise, but from the sadness present in their eyes when having to discuss the subject, it seems they know deep down in their hearts, that Rush is done.

A great movie accompanied by a really good short documentary, "A Salute to Kings" as well as a very funny Rush animated short. I hope they are both on the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray release.

• Like 15

Just saw the "Rush - Time Stand Still" movie. I've got to say, this is one of the truly saddest movies I have ever seen. I had tears in my eyes at the end, and I'm not the kind of guy who tears-up at movies.

While I thought I knew what Neil "must have" been going through during his performances on the R40 tour, in actuality, there really was no way whatsoever for me to truly know. Learning during this movie, of the pain and suffering Neil was really experiencing is enough for me to regrettably say, "Neil, go ahead and retire. You deserve it, man."

Of course, the movie wasn't all sadness. There was plenty of opportunities for howls of laughter, and to even learn some new things about the band, such as their youngster dreams of acquiring a station wagon to tour in, and then - glory of glory - a mini-camper! That was all new to me. Ray Daniels once fired Geddy from the band?! That information seemed new even to Ray himself. But Geddy's memory couldn't be wrong about something like that, could it?

Really surprising to me was learning that Neil had picked up a fungus while riding his motorcycle through hopeless rains between gigs. An awful, painful fungus on the bottoms of his feet. And the man still performed! Incredible as well as horrible.

And something which simply had not occurred to me prior to seeing this movie: The entire Rush crew - the roadies, drivers, sound guys, lighting guys. All the backstage and forward-stage workers who Geddy, Alex and Neil consider family. The movie clearly shows that they all knew that the end was upon them. They knew that that last show at the Los Angeles Forum was going to be THEE last show.

I myself have been easily able to dismiss any "End of Rush" severities. I've held hope that Neil would simply one day soon change his mind and say, "Guys, I've just got to tour, it's in my soul!" But the Rush crew knew otherwise long ago. They accepted it long ago. The movie shows Geddy and Alex accepting it. They may both have a slight hope otherwise, but from the sadness present in their eyes when having to discuss the subject, it seems they know deep down in their hearts, that Rush is done.

A great movie accompanied by a really good short documentary, "A Salute to Kings" as well as a very funny Rush animated short. I hope they are both on the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Amazing review. I agree. The tears were falling man. Just like when I was front row in Inglewood. It was so depressing but an amazing film. Gene Simmons stole the show. JMO

I'm about to put on "Behind The Lighted Stage." That was a fun one to watch in the theater!! Not much Rush Love in Walnut Creek California!! The theater was almost empty.

Teddy and Alex let Neil anything he wanted on his bike in order to get the tour on the road. Neil has his "Freewill" but if he didn't do all of that riding in the rampant rain his feet would have been fine!!!

He is still a trooper and despite his retirement he is still THE MAN to me. He did his job. He honored his contract.

Now he is a free man.

RUSH ON!

• Like 6

Too bad Walnut Creek was almost empty. We had almost a full house (and lots of other gals besides myself!!!) in San Jose, CA. Cried for a lot of the ending. This was their goodbye to all of us. We can only hope Geddy and Alex convince Neil to do one or two studio CD's. If not, I'm placing my bets we'll see another solo CD from Geddy and maybe more collaborating by Alex with other musicians. While this was definitely closure, I'm very sad right now. Can't wait to buy it and watch some of my favorite parts again. Very nicely done.
  • Like 8

Too bad Walnut Creek was almost empty. We had almost a full house (and lots of other gals besides myself!!!) in San Jose, CA. Cried for a lot of the ending. This was their goodbye to all of us. We can only hope Geddy and Alex convince Neil to do one or two studio CD's. If not, I'm placing my bets we'll see another solo CD from Geddy and maybe more collaborating by Alex with other musicians. While this was definitely closure, I'm very sad right now. Can't wait to buy it and watch some of my favorite parts again. Very nicely done.

Hi Turn The Page!!!

I was a sad turn out in Walnut Creek.

I so bummed I'm watching "Beyond The Lighted Stage" tonight which is funny because I saw "Beyond The Lighted Stage" in San Jose!!!!! It was soooooooooo awesome!! It was a full packed house! Everyone was in a Rush tee shirt! Everyone was screaming and yelling and cheers!! Laughing and crying!!!! My San Jose experience was EPIC!!

Tonight was subdued but so fitting for the film.

I'm so sad and Neil just couldn't wait to end it.

As a drummer I get it though.

I know many Rush fans on the earth are pissed off at Neil but the wear and tear on the human body is a understandable reason for calling it quitting.

I've been playing for 35 years on the drums. I'm just a Neil Peart clone. Never made in the rock and roll biz but man I would play everyday. I still do. But even a nobody like me is having a rotator cuff issue. I've never had an issue playing. Sucks getting old.

Ironically drumming keeps me young mentally and physically.

It is what it is.

Everything ends,

Everything begins again.....

No band will ever replace RUSH.

I can't even imagine a band now going on for 40 years.

I hate to say it but the only band I can think of could be Pearl Jam.

Ugh.

They should have quit after "TEN."

JMO

Cheers!!!

RUSH ON!!!!

Amazing review. I agree. The tears were falling man. Just like when I was front row in Inglewood. It was so depressing but an amazing film. Gene Simmons stole the show. JMO

I'm about to put on "Behind The Lighted Stage." That was a fun one to watch in the theater!! Not much Rush Love in Walnut Creek California!! The theater was almost empty.

Teddy and Alex let Neil anything he wanted on his bike in order to get the tour on the road. Neil has his "Freewill" but if he didn't do all of that riding in the rampant rain his feet would have been fine!!!

He is still a trooper and despite his retirement he is still THE MAN to me. He did his job. He honored his contract.

Now he is a free man.

RUSH ON!

Just reading the OP's post brought tears to my eyes..... :(

• Like 4

Apparently Neil has been trying to quit touring since the FBN days.

In interviews he's said things to the contrary many times over in the 80s to at least the early 90s. He may not even remember saying (or maybe feeling) those things though.

I think it was in Success Under Pressure where he said, "The only thing worse than touring is NOT touring. That's my motto."
  • Like 2

In interviews he's said things to the contrary many times over in the 80s to at least the early 90s. He may not even remember saying (or maybe feeling) those things though.

It's hyperbole to say that he's been "trying to quit touring" since the Fly By Night days. While I wouldn't doubt that he's been bitching about the touring process since then, I don't believe he would have been able to do it for all these years if he truly didn't want to. If he had really been "trying to quit touring" since then, I'm pretty sure that Rush would have ground to a halt during those early years when it was more-or-less all they did.

Also, I don't think people are understanding the difference between disliking the touring process and not wanting to play live. Neil has obviously very much wanted to play live throughout the years, and has said so many times, including stating unequivocally on a few occasions that he enjoys the actual performing, but doesn't like all the boredom and hassle surrounding it. Having had an exciting, creative job that involved extensive travel myself, I can relate to that. It can be a fun adventure at first, but soon you really feel the conflict between your desire to do a job that you genuinely love, and having to gird yourself against the wearying grind of extensive travel.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 5

It's hyperbole to say that he's been "trying to quit touring" since the Fly By Night days. While I wouldn't doubt that he's been bitching about the touring process since then, I don't believe he would have been able to do it for all these years if he truly didn't want to. If he had really been "trying to quit touring" since then, I'm pretty sure that Rush would have ground to a halt during those early years when it was more-or-less all they did.

Also, I don't think people are understanding the difference between disliking the touring process and not wanting to play live. Neil has obviously very much wanted to play live throughout the years, and has said so many times, including stating unequivocally on a few occasions that he enjoys the actual performing, but doesn't like all the boredom and hassle surrounding it. Having had an exciting, creative job that involved extensive travel myself, I can relate to that. It can be a fun adventure at first, but soon you really feel the conflict between your desire to do a job that you genuinely love, and having to gird yourself against the wearying grind of extensive travel.

:goodone:
  • Like 2

Yeah, it was quite enlightening to hear about all his issues. The movie was great. I got teary too.

Coming up on a year since I met Alex and Geddy at the Sirius Town Hall. It was such a great day....sigh.

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 3

OP here. Thanks for the kind replies.

I saw it at the Crystal Lake, Illinois theater. It was packed, only a couple seats empty in the front row. Can you guess how I know this? Because, for the first time in my life... I HAD A FRONT ROW SEAT for RUSH!!!

Yes, I was an idiot and didn't think to pre-order a ticket until the night before. At least they had those couple of front row seats available. Really, it wasn't so bad. I can confirm, Geddy keeps his nose hairs trimmed quite nicely.

• Like 2

I didn't think it would have such an effect.....It was like my whole Rush life flashed before my eyes.......They will forever be ingrained in me! :)
  • Like 3

I saw it at the Crystal Lake, Illinois theater. It was packed, only a couple seats empty in the front row. Can you guess how I know this? Because, for the first time in my life... I HAD A FRONT ROW SEAT for RUSH!!!

Yes, I was an idiot and didn't think to pre-order a ticket until the night before. At least they had those couple of front row seats available. Really, it wasn't so bad. I can confirm, Geddy keeps his nose hairs trimmed quite nicely.

I did the same thing and ended up on the 3rd row, the guys were towering over me but it was wonderful and sad :| We had about 3/4ths full at the Salt Lake show and they had a second one scheduled after too...just had to go and see them on the big screen. Had no idea all the problems Neil had with his feet and yet he soldiered on.

Got in the car and drove around playing clockwork angels, couldn't go home without some more music... :haz:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I did the same thing and ended up on the 3rd row, the guys were towering over me but it was wonderful and sad :| We had about 3/4ths full at the Salt Lake show and they had a second one scheduled after too...just had to go and see them on the big screen. Had no idea all the problems Neil had with his feet and yet he soldiered on.

Got in the car and drove around playing clockwork angels, couldn't go home without some more music... :haz:

That's the first I've heard of more than a single showing, anywhere. Right on.

I listened to Clockwork Angels two or three days ago, and then again today. I've had a handful of other Rush albums in the middle of the playlist, there, too.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

The message i took away from Time Stand Still was that Rush was apologizing and justifying why theyre hanging it up.

Apologizing? How do you figure?

I wasn't able to make it out to see this in the theater. I am looking forward to watching the DVD. I better have tissues close at hand. :(
  • Like 1

I wasn't able to make it out to see this in the theater. I am looking forward to watching the DVD. I better have tissues close at hand. :(

I feel fortunate that I did go last night.

But anyone who didn't will only have to wait a couple of weeks!

It'll be a good experience, no matter what or when.

• Like 2