rush- 2112 40th anniversary packages available for pre-order.

canadianice

For anyone who hasn't ordered this yet, you can get free shipping in Canada and the U.S. from MusicVaultz using the discount code RUSH2112.

Code works for the Super Deluxe Box Set, 3LP Set, and 2CD+DVD Set.

This is a good deal for any Americans on this forum, because the Canadian price is roughly the same as the American price, so the favorable exchange rate pushes it down even further, plus free shipping!

• Like 1

Yep, already ordered mine as well. Hope I ordered early enough for the Twilight Zone bonus disc. It's obviously for completionists but what I like is that somehow none of the bonus things are redundant with the 2012 super deluxe version (which I have). That one will still be unique and valuable for the DTS audio, comic book, unreleased live tracks from 1980-1981, etc. none of which are on this new package. In addition to all the collectables the highlights of this one to me are the lengthy video interview about the album with Alex and Terry Brown and of course having more unreleased audio from the original ATWAS recordings. I never would have thought we'd hear 2112 from one of the other two nights, plus another version of Something For Nothing. And the live version of Twilight Zone from 1977 (which I'd imagine is fairly low quality but still...). When they first said they were working on this months ago even I as a collector figured I wouldn't bother, but I'm excited about this!

I really don't like that 2012 version at all (except for the bonus live tracks so I can't dump it.)

I'll get the new CD/DVD at some point. (I do want the 7 inch (have the original) but not at that price point. The art is nice too (but not at that price point.) so I'll be settling for the no frills reissue somewhere down the road because I want those live bonus tracks.

I'm going to guess The Twilight Zone comes from 12/31/76 which they could have recorded. (Bootleg sounds really bad) I don't think they would have randomly recorded a show in Washington DC in April 1977 (although a fan obviously did!)

The live version cant be from 1976, because it specifically states its from 1977 in the tracklisting.

I have ordered the deluxe package but it was my wish that they would do a release of the June '76 Massey Hall stint like Deep Purple did with "Made in Japan" - all 3 nights in their entirety. and then when it comes time for an anniversary edition of ESL - complete 3 nighter in Toronto or at the very least the complete Montreal show
  • Like 1

Yep, already ordered mine as well. Hope I ordered early enough for the Twilight Zone bonus disc. It's obviously for completionists but what I like is that somehow none of the bonus things are redundant with the 2012 super deluxe version (which I have). That one will still be unique and valuable for the DTS audio, comic book, unreleased live tracks from 1980-1981, etc. none of which are on this new package. In addition to all the collectables the highlights of this one to me are the lengthy video interview about the album with Alex and Terry Brown and of course having more unreleased audio from the original ATWAS recordings. I never would have thought we'd hear 2112 from one of the other two nights, plus another version of Something For Nothing. And the live version of Twilight Zone from 1977 (which I'd imagine is fairly low quality but still...). When they first said they were working on this months ago even I as a collector figured I wouldn't bother, but I'm excited about this!

I really don't like that 2012 version at all (except for the bonus live tracks so I can't dump it.)

I'll get the new CD/DVD at some point. (I do want the 7 inch (have the original) but not at that price point. The art is nice too (but not at that price point.) so I'll be settling for the no frills reissue somewhere down the road because I want those live bonus tracks.

I'm going to guess The Twilight Zone comes from 12/31/76 which they could have recorded. (Bootleg sounds really bad) I don't think they would have randomly recorded a show in Washington DC in April 1977 (although a fan obviously did!)

The live version cant be from 1976, because it specifically states its from 1977 in the tracklisting.

My initial thought would have been that they played the song after the clock struck 12, but I checked the tape and that is not the case. That song was a rare occurrence for that tour. This is the other only known performance of it.

Unless there are other bootlegs from that period that have surfaced?

Maybe they have a soundcheck version that is of better quality. Hopefully it's a similar to what was performed in D.C. I always liked this version.

• Like 1

My initial thought would have been that they played the song after the clock struck 12, but I checked the tape and that is not the case. That song was a rare occurrence for that tour. This is the other only known performance of it.

Maybe they have a soundcheck version that is of better quality. Hopefully it's a similar to what was performed in D.C. I always liked this version.

Yeah, supposedly there are only 2 performances of the song (at least recorded, or at least what has showed up on bootlegs). Either it's the one recorded on the ATWAS tour in 77 in soundboard quality, a soundcheck like you said, an audience recording which we already have, or a completely different performance that no one knew was recorded.

Personally as long as it sounds decent idc if it's a soundcheck or a soundboard, but I really don't want an audience recording.

• Like 2

Yeah, supposedly there are only 2 performances of the song (at least recorded, or at least what has showed up on bootlegs). Either it's the one recorded on the ATWAS tour in 77 in soundboard quality, a soundcheck like you said, an audience recording which we already have, or a completely different performance that no one knew was recorded.

Personally as long as it sounds decent idc if it's a soundcheck or a soundboard, but I really don't want an audience recording.

Rush won't release an audience recording. They've released soundboard recordings before (Rush In Rio) though.

• Like 1

Rush won't release an audience recording. They've released soundboard recordings before (Rush In Rio) though.

That's why i'm really excited for this release. The version of The Twilight Zone alone was justified by the purchase, im just a teeny tiny bit worried but I think even if it is an audience I would still like it. It's probably the most rare song played live out there

That's why i'm really excited for this release. The version of The Twilight Zone alone was justified by the purchase, im just a teeny tiny bit worried but I think even if it is an audience I would still like it. It's probably the most rare song played live out there

Don't worry. They aren't going to release an audience recording from the '70s. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

Don't worry. They aren't going to release an audience recording from the '70s. Not going to happen.

Got the album today... unfortunately it's exactly what happened. I

In fact pretty sure i've heard better quality recordings on youtube then what i'm hearing as I type this.

Pretty disappointed to be honest.

• Like 1

In fact pretty sure i've heard better quality recordings on youtube then what i'm hearing as I type this.

I don't know what to say. Other than a similar indiscretion with the Don Kirshner set on R30 when they used MPEGS (even when there were better versions available) the quality control has always been high.

Clearly their modus operandi has changed.

Kind of inexcusable that it was a bootleg. Even more inexcusable that it wasn't the best available one. Unless of course I'm not getting the joke and that's why it's "Contraband."

• Like 1

I don't know what to say. Other than a similar indiscretion with the Don Kirshner set on R30 when they used MPEGS (even when there were better versions available) the quality control has always been high.

Kind of inexcusable that it was a bootleg. Even more inexcusable that it wasn't the best available one. Unless of course I'm not getting the joke and that's why it's "Contraband."

Lol after I listened to the version on the Anniversary Edition I looked on youtube for better quality recordings and the ones from the same show sounded better then on the album. And the 1976 performance sounds better too.

Idk on one hand if they don't have a better recording then there isn't much more they can do but on the other at least use the best sounding performance available.

• Like 1

Lol after I listened to the version on the Anniversary Edition I looked on youtube for better quality recordings and the ones from the same show sounded better then on the album. And the 1976 performance sounds better too.

Idk on one hand if they don't have a better recording then there isn't much more they can do but on the other at least use the best sounding performance available.

If you're going to use a use a bootleg recording, you should at least try to make sure that you can get the best version out there. As you said, it appears not to have been done in this case.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that is dissapointed with this release? The 1976 video concert had been released earlier and the quality is really bad. The live version of The Twilight Zone was just awful quality, could not even listen to the whole song! And the cover of Overture was poorly done by the band (Foo Fighters?)

The only thing I really liked was The Twilight Zone cover done by Steven Wilson.

I have not yet listened to the original album, I at least hope that is well remastered

And also the turntable mat is poor quality.

I almost regret buying this box set...

Edited by YYZumbi

Am I the only one that is dissapointed with this release? The 1976 video concert had been released earlier and the quality is really bad. The live version of The Twilight Zone was just awful quality, could not even listen to the whole song! And the cover of Overture was poorly done by the band (Foo Fighters?)

The only thing I really liked was The Twilight Zone cover done by Steven Wilson.

I have not yet listened to the original album, I at least hope that is well remastered

And also the turntable mat is poor quality.

I almost regret buying this box set...

Have you read the rest of this thread?

• Like 1

The Twilight Zone recording from 1977 runs over 7 PERCENT TOO FAST. What kind of idiot was put in charge of this? To put this in perspective, here is a sample of what Tom Sawyer sounds like at this ridiculous speed:

twqwctf.github.io/TSspedup7pct.mp3

Interns at Ole?

Might explain the skateboard anyway.....

I went looking for the R40 Dvd, but could not find it in the stores.

At the last minute I found the 2112 40th Anniv. box. I am very happy with it. The bonus discs are awesome. The Capitol Theater video was remastered very well.

Alice In Chains version of Tears is pretty cool as well as Dave Grohl's Overture recording.

I will soon have the audio on my iPod.

Happy New Years everyone!

Edited by Self-Indulgence
  • Like 2

Picked this (CD/DVD) up in the used bin on Record Store Day for a price I was willing to pay and finally got a chance to go through it once today. I like the packaging and liner notes. The DVD of the Capitol show was cleaned up a lot. It sounded very strange to see the footage matched with the remastered sound. It kind of seemed unnatural in a way to have the sound mastered like it was to that video. Kept asking my self if it was real compared to the other versions I have.

As I've been saying all along it's the live outtakes that were most important in this set to me. The covers were better than I thought they were going to be, but I can't imagine I'd be going back to them a lot. The real surprise is that this 2112 CD might just be the best sounding version I own. I never thought much of the Mobile Fidelity. I was always partial to the original vinyl (don't have the 2015 reissue yet) or the original CD, but this new version sounds pretty amazing. The bass tones are very warm and rounded....likely better than anything else I've heard from this album. I wasn't expecting it to sound quite like this at all. I hope all of the those 2015 vinyl masters get transferred to CD. My wallet won't be happy, but if the rest are like this, I could be hearing Rush for the first time again and how cool would that be........

Was totally not expecting to be blown away like this.

• Like 2

Picked this (CD/DVD) up in the used bin on Record Store Day for a price I was willing to pay and finally got a chance to go through it once today. I like the packaging and liner notes. The DVD of the Capitol show was cleaned up a lot. It sounded very strange to see the footage matched with the remastered sound. It kind of seemed unnatural in a way to have the sound mastered like it was to that video. Kept asking my self if it was real compared to the other versions I have.

As I've been saying all along it's the live outtakes that were most important in this set to me. The covers were better than I thought they were going to be, but I can't imagine I'd be going back to them a lot. The real surprise is that this 2112 CD might just be the best sounding version I own. I never thought much of the Mobile Fidelity. I was always partial to the original vinyl (don't have the 2015 reissue yet) or the original CD, but this new version sounds pretty amazing. The bass tones are very warm and rounded....likely better than anything else I've heard from this album. I wasn't expecting it to sound quite like this at all. I hope all of the those 2015 vinyl masters get transferred to CD. My wallet won't be happy, but if the rest are like this, I could be hearing Rush for the first time again and how cool would that be........

Yes, I got it as a Christmas present and have enjoyed the sound a lot!

I listened to side 2 of this myself yesterday. I agree that the sound is really good. "Lessons" sounded especially good.

• Like 1

I listened to side 2 of this myself yesterday. I agree that the sound is really good. "Lessons" sounded especially good.

On day I'll get this and maybe the 2015 on vinyl, but until then the CD/DVD (and other 2112 vinyl) will have to do.

• Like 1