rush- 2112 40th anniversary packages available for pre-order.

canadianice

Just saw that. I don't need yet another purchase of 2112. Nothing will top my signed hemispheres CD at this point. The exclusive stuff is really nice, but much of it has been out there for a while, like the Passaic, NJ show.
  • Like 1

Yep, already ordered mine as well. Hope I ordered early enough for the Twilight Zone bonus disc. It's obviously for completionists but what I like is that somehow none of the bonus things are redundant with the 2012 super deluxe version (which I have). That one will still be unique and valuable for the DTS audio, comic book, unreleased live tracks from 1980-1981, etc. none of which are on this new package. In addition to all the collectables the highlights of this one to me are the lengthy video interview about the album with Alex and Terry Brown and of course having more unreleased audio from the original ATWAS recordings. I never would have thought we'd hear 2112 from one of the other two nights, plus another version of Something For Nothing. And the live version of Twilight Zone from 1977 (which I'd imagine is fairly low quality but still...). When they first said they were working on this months ago even I as a collector figured I wouldn't bother, but I'm excited about this!

• Like 2

Yep, already ordered mine as well. Hope I ordered early enough for the Twilight Zone bonus disc. It's obviously for completionists but what I like is that somehow none of the bonus things are redundant with the 2012 super deluxe version (which I have). That one will still be unique and valuable for the DTS audio, comic book, unreleased live tracks from 1980-1981, etc. none of which are on this new package. In addition to all the collectables the highlights of this one to me are the lengthy video interview about the album with Alex and Terry Brown and of course having more unreleased audio from the original ATWAS recordings. I never would have thought we'd hear 2112 from one of the other two nights, plus another version of Something For Nothing. And the live version of Twilight Zone from 1977 (which I'd imagine is fairly low quality but still...). When they first said they were working on this months ago even I as a collector figured I wouldn't bother, but I'm excited about this!

Good info! :cheers:

The Twilight Zone/Lessons 7" looks really cool, and normally I don't care too much about other people covering Rush (with a few exceptions) but hearing another one from Jacob Moon should be great and I'm really curious to hear Steven Wilson cover a Rush song. Although I think it may have made more sense for the Moon and Alice in Chains songs to be reversed. And I don't know what "contraband" means on the 1977 version of Twilight Zone but I have to think it just means it's from a low quality recording/audience bootleg. And there's only so much they can do with it but "Newly Restored Video & Audio of CAPITOL THEATRE 1976 Concert" is encouraging as well. But it's having more audio from the ATWAS sessions that's the biggest draw to me, as I said above.
  • Like 2

The cash grabs are starting to get a bit...cash grabby.

It´s all part of Neil´s retirement plan...I think we´ll be flooded with reissues/special editions from now on. Maiden started doing this years ago...every three years or so their albums from the first up to 07th Son (and sometimes up to Fear of the Dark) were reissues with bonus tracks, 10 minute interviews, bonus disc with the videos for certain songs...to be honest, unless Rush includes bonus songs - which is unlikely, since they threw away anything that wasn´t used on the official releases - I´ll give the reissues a pass.

• Like 1

The cash grabs are starting to get a bit...cash grabby.

It´s all part of Neil´s retirement plan...I think we´ll be flooded with reissues/special editions from now on. Maiden started doing this years ago...every three years or so their albums from the first up to 07th Son (and sometimes up to Fear of the Dark) were reissues with bonus tracks, 10 minute interviews, bonus disc with the videos for certain songs...to be honest, unless Rush includes bonus songs - which is unlikely, since they threw away anything that wasn´t used on the official releases - I´ll give the reissues a pass.

I will consider buying reissues if they have content that is of interest to me that I don't have elsewhere, but those merch bundles are way over the top!

• Like 1

There's no such thing as a "cash grab" in the free market. There just isn't. You have options, buy or don't. The only entities that can "cash grab" are thieves and the government, anybody else who complains about too much product simply has no control over their own choices.
  • Like 3

There's no such thing as a "cash grab" in the free market. There just isn't. You have options, buy or don't. The only entities that can "cash grab" are thieves and the government, anybody else who complains about too much product simply has no control over their own choices.

I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

The practise of reissuing old content in a new form with other related content is idiomatically referred to as a "cash grab" because it is designed to earn a quick burst of money by capitalising on the fact that many fans are collectors and enjoy buying product. My remark that the cash grabs are getting very cash-grabby was a comment on the fact that they're really milking 2112 for all it's worth, considering that there was a deluxe reissue of it just a few years ago, and on how they're having to scramble pretty hard to find new things to package it with that will be of sufficient interest to all but the Ray Wawrzyniaks of the world (i.e., the pure completists).

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

Just saw that. I don't need yet another purchase of 2112. Nothing will top my signed hemispheres CD at this point. The exclusive stuff is really nice, but much of it has been out there for a while, like the Passaic, NJ show.

I will probably get this at some point. (Just the CD/DVD for the bonus stuff and to have the Passaic show in its proper place where it belongs.)

The packaging is nice (I don't need a the t-shirt or the skateboard) and if I'm honest I would have wanted the reissue 7 inch (I have the original) but I can't justify the extra artwork at that price point.

The only reason I got the last version of 2112 with that ridiculous artwork was for the three tracks recording in 1981 in Edmonton.

And why mess with iconic artwork in the first place?

Jeez I got the email notice today and I must say Im getting sick of all these crazy special limited edition deluxe lp 3lp crap!!! This is just like KISS. Except with music instead of caskets!!

I don't see the big deal. Just don't buy them. There's a 99.999% chance that I won't. Who cares if others buy them?

I really don't like that 2012 version at all (except for the bonus live tracks so I can't dump it.)

I'll get the new CD/DVD at some point. (I do want the 7 inch (have the original) but not at that price point. The art is nice too (but not at that price point.) so I'll be settling for the no frills reissue somewhere down the road because I want those live bonus tracks.

I'm going to guess The Twilight Zone comes from 12/31/76 which they could have recorded. (Bootleg sounds really bad) I don't think they would have randomly recorded a show in Washington DC in April 1977 (although a fan obviously did!)