Ten Things We Learned from Time Stand Still - RS Article

Wil1972

I'd absolutely hate for RUSH to tour without Neil. I want more, but I know it 99.99999999999%, ok let's just say it won't happen. I'd hate for them to turn into YES, with just one original member and a bunch of replacements (though the current YES doesn't sound that bad, let's face it, it's not YES). Time Machine/Clockwork Angels album cycle and R40 were a killer way to go out. End the career on two of your best tours and one of your best albums. Not much more we could ask for. Outside of RUSH, what other classic bands will fans rank the new stuff as high or higher than the old stuff? (For me, S&A is #1, Counterparts #2 and CA #6)

"We always said that if the three of us aren't on board, we don't do a thing. There have been other decisions in our career where the three of us weren't on board and we didn't do it. Nothing as profound as ending our touring life, but fair enough. So one guy doesn't want to do that thing anymore that I love to do. That hurts. But there's nothing I can do about it and that's part of the agreement."

I love Geddy Lee, but he really shouldn't let Neil trample all over his career like this. He needs to seriously grow a backbone.

On a similar note, I like Dennis DeYoung as a singer and songwriter, but sometimes, I think Tommy Shaw had the right idea continuing without him.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Geddy and Alex are probably not going to do anything else together either because Neil implanted the idea in their heads that they're worthless and unmarketable without him...I hope you're glad Neil, you may have ended your career on a high, but you didn't have to end the other two guys' careers without their consent.

What??? I can't believe Neil would have that kind of influence on their psyches. Total BTS.

It might not be psychological manipulation, but I'm sure thst they have this idea that Rush cannot exist without all three members.

If they tried to do a new musical project together with a different drummer, I'm sure there will be people out there that will give them crap about because "oh how can you tour without Neil Peart? This is just a cheap imitation of Rush!"

Maybe not "cannot", but 'should not'...which is bullshit, but hey, a lot of fans here seem to think that as well. I'd think it awesome if Geddy and Alex toured as Rush again (heck, even not as Rush). They were the heart and soul of Rush on stage, what made the whole concert experience so entertaining...and as scandalous as it sounds, Neil and his set (with the exception of the drum solo) were back-ground. Easily the most replaceable member of the band. Talent or not.

:facepalm: I am going to get so much shit for saying that.

Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 1

Geddy and Alex are probably not going to do anything else together either because Neil implanted the idea in their heads that they're worthless and unmarketable without him...I hope you're glad Neil, you may have ended your career on a high, but you didn't have to end the other two guys' careers without their consent.

What??? I can't believe Neil would have that kind of influence on their psyches. Total BTS.

It might not be psychological manipulation, but I'm sure thst they have this idea that Rush cannot exist without all three members.

If they tried to do a new musical project together with a different drummer, I'm sure there will be people out there that will give them crap about because "oh how can you tour without Neil Peart? This is just a cheap imitation of Rush!"

Neil...the most replaceable member of the band. Talent or not.

:LOL:

Probably...

Maybe not "cannot", but 'should not'...which is bullshit, but hey, a lot of fans here seem to think that as well. I'd think it awesome if Geddy and Alex toured as Rush again (heck, even not as Rush). They were the heart and soul of Rush on stage, what made the whole concert experience so entertaining...and as scandalous as it sounds, Neil and his set (with the exception of the drum solo) were back-ground. Easily the most replaceable member of the band. Talent or not.

Besides, it seems more apparent than ever that in the end, Geddy and Alex weren't even talking to Neil that much and even Alex himself said a few months ago when asked about future Rush music and/or concerts that he doesn't know what will happen because he hasn't even heard from Neil in quite a while. For all intents and purposes they really aren't even "friends" with Neil anymore.

How are they even going to perform anymore if they're not even talking?

Edited by fraroc

Jesus Christ....

If Geddy & Alex wanted to play bad enough, they would. End of story. Neil effectively ended it for his health and family, which wasn't a real surprise to anyone in the organization. Especially since they had to convince Neil to do the R40 shows to begin with. He wanted to hang it up before that even. Wanting to avoid further pain, enjoy more time with your family, and go out on top are "selfish" reasons, but none of them are bad or in anyway unreasonable.

• Like 4

Besides, it seems more apparent than ever that in the end, Geddy and Alex weren't even talking to Neil that much and even Alex himself said a few months ago when asked about future Rush music and/or concerts that he doesn't know what will happen because he hasn't even heard from Neil in quite a while. For all intents and purposes they really aren't even "friends" with Neil anymore.

How are they even going to perform anymore if they're not even talking?

Proof?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but starting waaaaay back around the p/g or HYF days Peart was really only corresponding with Geddy and Alex via fax and email regarding the albums until it came time to actually get together and record. Stands to reason that he wouldn't really be bothered with them after the "ride" was over. That said, my only real gripe is that there wasn't another leg of the R40 tour. While I loved the setlist (minus 1 song) I would have loved to see a second leg with some other oldies brought out. I still can't even call it a gripe though because the sheer volume of DIFFERENT songs that they performed over the last 5 tours is amazing. They made a conscious effort to play stuff that had either never been played or VERY rarely been played. Loved every minute of the last 5 or 6 tours....hell, I loved every show that I saw but once they became "evening with" without any opening act the shows were epic.I can understand if Geddy and Alex are underwhelmed with the prospect of no more Rush, but Alex has been having problems with his hands for a very long time (as documented in the RIo video). Seems like the only one who wasn't physically breaking down was Geddy.
  • Like 1