Ten Things We Learned from Time Stand Still - RS Article

Wil1972

Wow. Just . . . wow. Thanks for posting this. It gives people who are going Thursday night ( I hope I feel well enough to go!) a hint that it might not be all happiness and The Spirit Of Radio.

I wish the article had made it clear that Alex has psoriatic arthritis, which creates more pain, inflammation and exhaustion than "regular" aging osteoarthritis. The RS article doesn't make that clear.

And Neil, as always, sounds enlightening and very aggravating at the same time. :ranton: Tourette's is an overlapping condition with OCD in many people, and nothing to make light of. NEIL !- are you saying you really have it? If not, please don't use that term, it's really unfair to people, and especially kids that struggle with it. :rantoff:

The part about his feet sounds horrible, though.

It sounds (from this article) like the movie answers the question about whether Alex and Geddy would ever go out to do Rush stuff with someone else. It should be a very interesting Thursday night and interesting when the DVD comes out. Thanks for posting, Wil !

• Like 1

Having just read "Far & Wide" it's very obvious, even to the most obtuse of us, that Peart is finished playing the drums. I don't quite see how an artist just stops their art but it seems apparent that he's quit playing altogether.

All of this double speak about "maybe last significant tour" and so forth was all from Ray Daniels advising them what to say so that it wouldn't spiral into a full blown farewell tour.

That's it y'all. Rush is done. From now on it's just The Lee / Lifeson Experience.

• Like 2

Wow. Just . . . wow. Thanks for posting this. It gives people who are going Thursday night ( I hope I feel well enough to go!) a hint that it might not be all happiness and The Spirit Of Radio.

I wish the article had made it clear that Alex has psoriatic arthritis, which creates more pain, inflammation and exhaustion than "regular" aging osteoarthritis. The RS article doesn't make that clear.

And Neil, as always, sounds enlightening and very aggravating at the same time. :ranton: Tourette's is an overlapping condition with OCD in many people, and nothing to make light of. NEIL !- are you saying you really have it? If not, please don't use that term, it's really unfair to people, and especially kids that struggle with it. :rantoff:

The part about his feet sounds horrible, though.

It sounds (from this article) like the movie answers the question about whether Alex and Geddy would ever go out to do Rush stuff with someone else. It should be a very interesting Thursday night and interesting when the DVD comes out. Thanks for posting, Wil !

Yea I think it gives definitive answers to a lot of speculation around here.

• Like 1

Having just read "Far & Wide" it's very obvious, even to the most obtuse of us, that Peart is finished playing the drums. I don't quite see how an artist just stops their art but it seems apparent that he's quit playing altogether.

All of this double speak about "maybe last significant tour" and so forth was all from Ray Daniels advising them what to say so that it wouldn't spiral into a full blown farewell tour.

That's it y'all. Rush is done. From now on it's just The Lee / Lifeson Experience.

Yup. This stuff isn't a surprise if you'd read Neil's book. That being said, I hope the film isn't depressing.

• Like 1

Yup. This stuff isn't a surprise if you'd read Neil's book. That being said, I hope the film isn't depressing.

I have a feeling it will be sad. My wife will probably cry. I got her into Rush so late in their career. Although we were able to see them 4 times together, it seemed to all end just as quickly as it began for her.

• Like 1

Needless to say: IF he had just flown from show to show he'd feel a whole lot better. Much of his physical difficulties are squarely on his shoulders for choosing to travel as he did.

OK, that explains it. I was thinking it was a Neil thing but a tiny part of me was wondering if it was a guy thing. (Apologies.) Like when Mr. blues is outside trying to finish cutting the grass even though it has started thundering and lightning.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Needless to say: IF he had just flown from show to show he'd feel a whole lot better. Much of his physical difficulties are squarely on his shoulders for choosing to travel as he did.

OK, that explains it. I was thinking it was a Neil thing but a tiny part of me was wondering if it was a guy thing. (Apologies.) Like when Mr. blues is outside trying to finish cutting the grass even though it has started thundering and lightning.

We only do that so that the Mrs. doesn't give us heck about not finishing the job! :LOL: ;) just kidding! I will stop mowing when I hear thunder or see lightning. I do not play around with that stuff.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Neil has viewed his drumming as an art since the mid nineties. I think he was curious to see if he could do it again circa VT and since then has been doing it for the money. I will miss them but hold no ill feelings towards either Neil or Alex if they choose to stop

• Like 2

DVD of the 1976 Capitol Theater Show coming out with the 40th Anniversary 2112 release.

http://youtu.be/W6xhHRVoDqg

This was in the R40 Box. Makes sense to match it up with the album now.

If nothing else it makes the previous revisionist 2112 package obsolete.except for those live tracks from 1981 Edmonton.

Yes but odds are had he not travelled that way he probably wouldn't have toured past Vapor Trails.

• Like 3

Yes but odds are had he not travelled that way he probably wouldn't have toured past Vapor Trails.

That's impossible to say. Neil might say that but that's a Neil who DID that. Alternate reality Neil who didn't do that is a whole different ballgame.

Makes me sad, but I'm glad I got to see them live as often as I did, and I'm eternally grateful for all the great music they've given us over the years.
  • Like 1

According to what Neil wrote in Ghost Rider, funds needed to be replenished after the hiatus. So we got a 13 year bonus section to his career. Had concerts in the 80s and early 90s cost what they do now, inflation adjusted, he possibly would have retired in 1997.

I'm still surprised that some people who call themselves Rush fans bash Neil for retiring. The guy is 64... he could have retired when he was 34 for Chrise-sake.

I'm glad he didn't... and thankful for the 40 years that WE got out of this wicked band.

• Like 2

I was struck by the footage during the credits...especially by the emotion felt by the young boy from Brazil. It's difficult enough to watch emotional reactions from adults, but it hurts to watch a child being that sad.

i knew the night i saw them it was the last.RUSH may not be the most well known band in the world,but at least over the last 25 years they have been the best live act in the business and made ever show an event.they deserve to retire on their own conditions, hate to see them out there beating a dead horse in the late 60s and 70s like the who and the rolling stones have.they rocked out every concert 3 hrs in length for over 25 years.

that is like crawling up mount everest blindfolded to me.

Edited by workingthemangels63

I'm just reading this article now, and it's actually a pretty painful read...because all the things I've posted about Neil being an asshole...deep down inside, I didn't want them to be true....now it seems like they are :(

Geddy and Alex are probably not going to do anything else together either because Neil implanted the idea in their heads that they're worthless and unmarketable without him...

I hope you're glad Neil, you may have ended your career on a high, but you didn't have to end the other two guys' careers without their consent.

Edited by fraroc

Geddy and Alex are probably not going to do anything else together either because Neil implanted the idea in their heads that they're worthless and unmarketable without him...I hope you're glad Neil, you may have ended your career on a high, but you didn't have to end the other two guys' careers without their consent.

What??? I can't believe Neil would have that kind of influence on their psyches. Total BTS.

• Like 1

Geddy and Alex are probably not going to do anything else together either because Neil implanted the idea in their heads that they're worthless and unmarketable without him...I hope you're glad Neil, you may have ended your career on a high, but you didn't have to end the other two guys' careers without their consent.

What??? I can't believe Neil would have that kind of influence on their psyches. Total BTS.

It might not be psychological manipulation, but I'm sure thst they have this idea that Rush cannot exist without all three members.

If they tried to do a new musical project together with a different drummer, I'm sure there will be people out there that will give them crap about because "oh how can you tour without Neil Peart? This is just a cheap imitation of Rush!"