John Entwistle vs Geddy Lee?

Texas King

The big bassist duel  

66 members have voted

1. 1. John Entwistle vs Geddy Lee

• John Entwistle (The Ox)
    • Geddy Lee

Geddy leaves most bass players in the dust, including Entwhistle.

I can't see any objectivity in your posts. Your opinions are so biased. For example you consider The Who and Deep Purple decent rock bands while I consider them one of the best and the most important rock bands of all time who can compete with Rush any day, every day. Geddy Lee as a rock bassist belongs in the conversation with the likes of The Ox, John Paul Jones, Les Claypool, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geezer Butler.

Maybe if I ask you who is a better keyboardist: Geddy Lee or Jon Lord, or Geddy Lee or Rick Wakeman you would say Geddy Lee in both cases.

I am a huge Rush fan, I consider them one of the best and the most quality rock bands, but I am not so biased.

Actually, I am not really a fan of the Who or DP, or most classic rock bands in general. I am a fan of Rush because they are (were) not your typical classic rock band, and because they chose to morph and grow once the 70s were over.

The classic rock bands were the big influence on Rush. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, early Genesis and Jethro Tull were all influential on Rush. But Rush became the unique and original rock band, but on the albums Fly by Night, Caress of Steel and 2112 some musical similarities with Zeppelin are undeniable.

Edited by Texas King

This is the wrong forum to ask this question

Why?

Because it's a Rush forum, so they're always gonna win any poll.

How then Alex Lifeson lost the poll against Eddie Van Halen?

I remember that poll but don't recall what the final result was. If Alex lost, then it was one of those very rare times on here when something Rush lost against something non Rush.

• Like 1

I love the Who.I loved Entwhistle.He was a pioneer.Was the solo in My Generation a first.John was one Ged's heroes.His early sound had that Entwhistle meets Squire sound.Rush became more complex hence more complex bass lines.Ged sings.John one or two songs.Geds on the keys.John a French horn.Ged jumps dances,walks around.John didn't.Hmmmmm??Ged by a bees dick because the Who never did a La Villa or YYZ.With utmost respect to John R.I.P.

Well...the Who never covered RUSH. Just sayin'...

:LOL:

Out of curiosity, I went to looked at the albums each band put out over the years when both bands were active ..

Starting from 1974, Rush has put out 19 studio albums, not including Feedback

Beginning at the same point, The Who put out 4 studio albums with Entwistle ( .. a fifth was recorded with Pino Palladino in '06 )

Not being a big fan of The Who, this surprised me ....

So over the span of Rush's entire career, The Who with Entwistle recorded four albums ...

No real point here, I suppose :LOL:

As a songwriter, it seems Geddy was much more prolific, as Entwistle isn't credited with very many songs through those ten albums.

Given that Entwistle did far more in the way of solo work due to not getting his songs through the Who, I am not buying this.

Count me in as someone who thinks that Entwistle is better than Geddy. Entwistle was probably the big bang as far as rock bass playing goes.

I love Geddy's playing as a body of work more than that of any other bass player ever because of something intangible about the way he plays that just does it for me. I can't describe it in any sophisticated terms, but there's a fluidity and a groove in his bass playing that flips my switches even on songs I don't particularly care for. Hearing the bass part in the Hyperspace section of Natural Science at my first Rush gig knocked me across the line from "having a surprisingly good time at this concert I didn't expect anything from" to "Good god, I'm in LOVE!"
  • Like 2

I think that, at times, Entwistle's playing can be a distraction to the song. I feel the same about Keith Moon's playing, so at times I am not listening to the actual song, but the instrumental fireworks that Entwistle and Moon provide. I may be biased, but I think Geddy usually plays to benefit the song. That's the difference in my mind and, overall, it's probably nitpicking. It's all great music.
  • Like 4

Both those videos are similar to how Alex "shreds" the Working Man solo these days -- lots of right hand flash, but a total lack of left hand precision. Geddy doesn't rely on his right hand covering up mistakes made by his left hand.

Don't get me wrong, I sure as shit can't play bass like Ox (or guitar like Alex), but I don't need to in order to see the flaws in their execution.

• Like 1

I prefer Geddy.

Ox is incredible...I don't mean to take anything away from his talent. I just prefer Geddy in Rush over Ox in The Who.

This.
  • Like 1

To get accurate results, someone should post the same poll on Thewhoforum.com and then combine the results of the two polls. ;)
  • Like 3

Out of curiosity, I went to looked at the albums each band put out over the years when both bands were active ..

Beginning at the same point, The Who put out 4 studio albums with Entwistle ( .. a fifth was recorded with Pino Palladino in '06 )

So over the span of Rush's entire career, The Who with Entwistle recorded four albums ...

On what planet did The Who only produce 4 studio albums? :blink:

He set the starting year at 1974 and included only those with Ox.

The Who by Numbers - '75

Who Are You - '78

Face Dances - '81

It's Hard - '82

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

As I mentioned, I set the starting point for when both bands were active

Rush put out 19 studio albums ( not including Feedback ) in the same time period that The Who put out 4 studio albums

The point was brought up that The Who never covered Rush - that's what sparked my interested

The Who was not very prolific after 1974

Rush put out 19 studio albums ( not including Feedback ) in the same time period that The Who put out 4 studio albums

The point was brought up that The Who never covered Rush - that's what sparked my interested

The Who relied on compilations and repackaging for its entire existence.

Ged, the most ingeniously, unforgettably, timelessly awesome bassist in all of rock and roll, if not music.

Read that epithet and guess who I voted for.

• Like 2

Gotcha. :)