Rush- Look to electronic music (EDM, House) for inspiration/ideas

GeminiRising79

Hello everyone! Been taking a hiatus from all instrumental rock music for the past 2 years, focusing purely on electronic music of all genres and artists, including Deadmau5, Eric Prydz, and many, many others. I will eventually return to the old stuff, but I have to say I've heard some magnificent and exotic bass lines and percussion sounds/patterns along the way. I cant count how many times Ive had a moment where I said to myself: "Wow! I can see Rush using this stuff!"". I am only suggesting use of the complex bass and percussion patterns/architecture (as well as synth-spiration)found in electro music.

Perhaps they already do so, but I think it is important for the guys to listen to the SXM electro stations, 51, 52 and 53 purely for inspiration for their new music. I know most of you will balk and deride me for ever suggesting this, but remember when Rush sacrilegiously incorporated rap? I was immediately aghast! Now it doesnt seem so bad, especially in the context it was used.And, btw, Rush has always been about progressing forward with their music, adding popular elements like reggae and 80s synth, and grunge....why not continue doing so? It makes sense and I can see brilliance from embracing inspiration from electronic music.

Anyway, miss you guys, and see you more I hope! Time to hop into the Giallo barchetta for a spirited Sunday a.m. drive!! :D TC....

Kurt

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 2

When Rush parted ways with Terry Brown in the early 80s, I have often thought what they could have done with someone like Klaus Schulze, for example, as the producer ..

But has that ship sailed ??

Then again, why not ?

With all the uncertainty regarding Neil, what has been sort of swept under the carpet is the fact that Geddy's voice is shot .. And another album of the same thing isn't really that appealing ..

I'd be all for an electronic approach - sort of like the "I have memory and awareness" section of Hemispheres strung out over an entire album ..

• Like 3

:facepalm:

C'mon Hemi, you really want a "My Favorite Headache Part II" ??

'cause you know that is highly likely if something new came out

I hate EDM and house and it's a bridge too far at this point. If anything, they could put a supergroup together with Al and Ged and at least be close to Rush.
  • Like 1

:facepalm:

C'mon Hemi, you really want a "My Favorite Headache Part II" ??

'cause you know that is highly likely if something new came out

I hate EDM and house and it's a bridge too far at this point. If anything, they could put a supergroup together with Al and Ged and at least be close to Rush.

With Jon Anderson on vocals ??

I'd be all in on that too

• Like 1

Yes Ged's voice is shot.Perhaps something like Neil Young's Trans.

Neil's not going anywhere. All of you who believe this are being played. Its called marketing 101, ffs.

Looking toward electronic music isnt as preposterous as it seems. Fact is, imo, Rush is having difficulty producing music that is different, stirring, or interesting....again, imo. Certainly wouldnt hurt to explore the current stuff thats out there.

No doubt in my mind they can find fresh inspiration if they dig deep enough. Again, im not suggesting that they produce edm songs...just observe the dynamics of the music. I have listened to Rush and other rock acts since the mid-70s. Recently, I needed to move on from all of that because it has become stale to me, and many acts trying to produce have hit the wall musically. Electro music is invigorating and stirring....some of it is outstanding and deep, and im talking about the non-mainstream stuff.

If Rush are smart, they would consider any newer forms of music to take inspiration from (and electro or techno music has been going since the late 70s...ive been a follower of it since that time).

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Would be very interested if this were to happen. The combination of progressive rock/metal and electronic music is an area that is sorely under-explored.
  • Like 3

Neil's not going anywhere. All of you who believe this are being played. Its called marketing 101, ffs.

Looking toward electronic music isnt as preposterous as it seems. Fact is, imo, Rush is having difficulty producing music that is different, stirring, or interesting....again, imo. Certainly wouldnt hurt to explore the current stuff thats out there.

No doubt in my mind they can find fresh inspiration if they dig deep enough. Again, im not suggesting that they produce edm songs...just observe the dynamics of the music. I have listened to Rush and other rock acts since the mid-70s. Recently, I needed to move on from all of that because it has become stale to me, and many acts trying to produce have hit the wall musically. Electro music is invigorating and stirring....some of it is outstanding and deep, and im talking about the non-mainstream stuff.

If Rush are smart, they would consider any newer forms of music to take inspiration from (and electro or techno music has been going since the late 70s...ive been a follower of it since that time).

Well, Rush has been influenced by new wave and dance music in the past. Bringing in other ideas is nothing new to them. And Geddy and Alex may continue to be influenced by other genres in their future work. But Rush can't really be influenced by anything anymore since they no longer exist.

• Like 2

Well, Rush has been influenced by new wave and dance music in the past. Bringing in other ideas is nothing new to them. And Geddy and Alex may continue to be influenced by other genres in their future work. But Rush can't really be influenced by anything anymore since they no longer exist.

My only concern is that they're probably too unmotivated and tired of the beaten into the ground routine they've been on for decades. Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

My only concern is that they're probably too unmotivated and tired of the beaten into the ground routine they've been on for decades. Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

It's funny but I had this same thought myself the other night as I sat down to watch some old DVDs that I had of Van Halen, Joe Satriani, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Just the part about it being archaic, I didn't have any trouble watching them enjoyed thema lot but you just don't see it like you used to.

• Like 1

Is playing a musical instrument archiac?It could be .I teach guitar and these kids tell me stuff the guitar I have garage band on my iPhone.

If you can't entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments does that mean you are no longer interested in going to see live shows? Or do you want to see shows where the performers are not playing instruments?

People may laugh at that latter statement but I've seen scores of performances by "laptop bands" who do not play instruments onstage. You'll have a guy or two with a laptop or a sequencer, a drum machine, and a singer. The singer is the only one doing anything live. SOFA KING BORING, watching people push buttons. Give me people playing instruments any day.

• Like 3

If you can't entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments does that mean you are no longer interested in going to see live shows? Or do you want to see shows where the performers are not playing instruments?

People may laugh at that latter statement but I've seen scores of performances by "laptop bands" who do not play instruments onstage. You'll have a guy or two with a laptop or a sequencer, a drum machine, and a singer. The singer is the only one doing anything live. SOFA KING BORING, watching people push buttons. Give me people playing instruments any day.

In regards to your second paragraph, same here. I was at a music festival and one of the groups had no musicians/instruments just three female vocalists...and even they were lip syncing. I was pleased (in a bastard way) that by the third song there was a technical glitch and they couldn't do a thing. They were just standing there in their dumb, glitzy costumes until the non-instruments were fixed. I left during that glitch to get falafel and beer and came back when the next group took the stage.

I'll take archaic any day.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

If you look at it as "watching people play instruments", then yes, that might be tedious - now, or at any time

But what makes a live performance special and inspiring for me is the fact that I am part of it - and that the performer is not simply playing an instrument, but they are creating a moment and performing what could be considered a sort of communication, meant to inspire us ..

I know, this might sound rambling or corny ... but part of what makes a musician great is not simply what they can do, but what they can do for me ..

That's the way it's always been, even though I am realizing the magnitude of it more and more now

There's a certain surge or inspiration and electricity with live performances, and it shouldn't matter it a person is playing an instrument or not .... If they are doing something you connect with, that's what matters

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

If you look at it as "watching people play instruments", then yes, that might be tedious - now, or at any time

But what makes a live performance special and inspiring for me is the fact that I am part of it - and that the performer is not simply playing an instrument, but they are creating a moment and performing what could be considered a sort of communication, meant to inspire us ..

I know, this might sound rambling or corny ... but part of what makes a musician great is not simply what they can do, but what they can do for me ..

That's the way it's always been, even though I am realizing the magnitude of it more and more now

There's a certain surge or inspiration and electricity with live performances, and it shouldn't matter it a person is playing an instrument or not .... If they are doing something you connect with, that's what matters

I was walking through the park last month and saw three high school girls practicing koto. ((People regularly practice their instruments here as not to disturb anyone in their homes or their neighbors)). They weren't playing for money, they were just practicing. I stopped and stood and watched for a bit. They were totally into their instruments and each other. More people gathered. But the girls didn't stop. I'm not even sure what they were playing but it had a rock feel to it. It rocked that's for sure. When they were done, they looked up and seemed surprised by the 15 or so people that had stopped to listen with me. I clapped, said "Sugoi ((great))", and everyone else clapped (and seemed impressed and happy). One of the girls blushed but they all bowed and said thanks.

Honestly, those 5-10 minutes were better than any sequencer performance I've ever paid for. 3 girls playing koto in the park. Archaic? There's something to be said about the physicality behind musicianship.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 8

I know you think you're sounding edgy and plugged in by writing that but it's really just ridiculous.

• Like 5

In regards to your second paragraph, same here. I was at a music festival and one of the groups had no musicians/instruments just three female vocalists...and even they were lip syncing. I was pleased (in a bastard way) that by the third song there was a technical glitch and they couldn't do a thing. They were just standing there in their dumb, glitzy costumes until the non-instruments were fixed. I left during that glitch to get falafel and beer and came back when the next group took the stage.

:LOL:

• Like 1