“People who became Rush fans unwittingly”. And in a related story: “How I snuck Rush songs past my wife on the car stereo!”

alieninvasion76

I was inspired to post this because, in buying tickets to the new documentary "Time Stand Still", I of course bought 2, in hopes that my wife, who is NOT a devoted Rush fan, would go with me anyway. Of course, I was fully expecting her to decline the offer, i.e. "Thanks for thinking of me, baby!", and then of course I would have offered up the other ticket to one of my Rush buddies. But, lo and behold, she said YES!!!!

Like I said, my wife, bless her, is not a fan specifically, but once in a while I sneak Rush tunes past her on the car stereo :) ...mainly those 80’s, more mainstream-ish sounding ones that she likes but didn’t realize were Rush songs... as well as things like "Closer to the Heart", "The Garden", Nobody's Hero", etc.!

So, could this be a thing? That the branch of Rush’s fanbase that they attained in the 80’s may very well be made up of those who knew it was Rush, and those who didn’t (until it was too late :)) simply due to the pre-conceived notion of what Rush was “supposed” to sound like? Well….. it’s possible!

Fittingly, the song "Time Stand Still" fits this mold (most certainly Aimee Mann singing on the chorus threw people), and perhaps naming this new film after that song, in addition to being apropo in meaning, was a marketing coup!!

All I know is, my wife is finally attending a Rush event with me and I'm very excited! Now, if I can talk her into wearing one of my Rush t-shirts... well, that indeed would be true love!!!!

Edited by alieninvasion76
  • Like 5

I took my husband to a Rush concert once (R30 specifically)...afterwards he said "yeah, it was ok, but way too long."

:eh:

I haven't invited him to a Rush concert since.

• Like 4

Most of the people I know who don't like Rush will grudgingly admit that they're great musicians, but they just can't get past Lee's voice. I sometimes wonder if they just can't forgive him for the youthful screech (which to my ears is one of the band's primary strengths) or if they just don't like the timbre of his voice.

They also tend to gripe about the science fiction / fantasy vibe of the early stuff. But if it's Joni Mitchell writing about her romantic flings and broken relationships, they're all over it.

• Like 2

Most of the people I know who don't like Rush will grudgingly admit that they're great musicians, but they just can't get past Lee's voice. I sometimes wonder if they just can't forgive him for the youthful screech (which to my ears is one of the band's primary strengths) or if they just don't like the timbre of his voice.

They also tend to gripe about the science fiction / fantasy vibe of the early stuff. But if it's Joni Mitchell writing about her romantic flings and broken relationships, they're all over it.

My husband won't even admit that they have great music. He wonders how Rush even made it. He's also made more than a couple of remarks about Geddy's voice. I still find that astounding because, even back then, his voice never ever bothered me at all.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Well, the good news is, my wife has actually consented to wearing one of my other Rush t-shirts to the movie on Nov. 3rd - definitely have to get a picture of that - and I, as I mentioned in my post yesterday, will be wearing my "Record Store Day " Rush shirt!!

So the burning question is, does anyone know how to upload an image here other than using the tool above that requires you to enter a url address??

• Like 1

Well, the good news is, my wife has actually consented to wearing one of my other Rush t-shirts to the movie on Nov. 3rd - definitely have to get a picture of that - and I, as I mentioned in my post yesterday, will be wearing my "Record Store Day " Rush shirt!!

So the burning question is, does anyone know how to upload an image here other than using the tool above that requires you to enter a url address??

No, that's the only way to do it. Here's more info:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/99538-how-to-post-photos-to-trf/&do=findComment&comment=4041830

I think the main thing that has kept me interested in them even when they veered into musical directions that didn't particularly appeal to me is that their first 8 albums are so incredible. That and the fact that they are a great live band.

That's not to say their post-MP material doesn't do anything for me (in fact their last two studio albums were in my opinion the strongest since the Terry Brown days), but they generally don't do for me what the first 8 albums did.

Nevertheless I've never felt my continued interest in them was unrewarded. They're always interesting.

And Rush fans are usually very cool, interesting people, so I've met a lot of great people over the years

Their first 8 albums and their live performances.

• Like 1

I wonder if people who like Rush and bands like Rush tend to have more range in their musical preferences?

Didn't we have a thread a while back where this came up? Or maybe it was the subject of the thread. I think you're probably right. The people that I know that love Rush are more open to all kinds of music. A lot of them are musicians but some of them are just people that really can appreciate musicianship and what good music is.

• Like 3

I can't call my wife a die hard Rush fan, but I remember she boarded the flights for past gigs in London and NYC absolutely NOT in a bad mood

That's because you promised her a shopping spree on Fifth Avenue. ;) :LOL:

Aye, I proudly remeber I bought her a newspaper there!

I wonder if people who like Rush and bands like Rush tend to have more range in their musical preferences?

Didn't we have a thread a while back where this came up? Or maybe it was the subject of the thread. I think you're probably right. The people that I know that love Rush are more open to all kinds of music. A lot of them are musicians but some of them are just people that really can appreciate musicianship and what good music is.

This is true. I've found that a majority a folks who didn't like Rush tend to have boring musical tastes.

My brother is a great example. He's in the " Geddy can't sing " camp.. but he loves Boston, Foreigner and Journey.. wow. How very adventurous of you

• Like 2

My wife likes Rush. She isn't crazy about them. I did get her to go see them with me during the Vaper Trails Tour. I'll never forget how she kept looking around the pillar in front of us. I asked her what she was doing, and she replied, "I'm looking for the fourth guy." I said there were just three. She then exclaimed "there is no way just three guys were making all that music!" :LOL:
  • Like 1

No, that's the only way to do it. Here's more info:

http://www.therushfo...f/#entry4041830

Thank you Shark Whisperer for the info. Guess I should have looked around here a little more but was lazy :eh:

• Like 1

Btw... finally tracked this down. The whole "spouse" thing with regards to Rush rang a bell re this article I remember reading a few years ago in Premier Guitar reviewing the Time Machine DVD.

The angle re the reviewer dragging his spouse to a Rush gig is just a small part of it (though she did enjoy the DVD apparently), i.e.. the review as a whole will please all Rush fans I'm sure!!!

http://www.premiergu...ve_in_Cleveland

Edited by alieninvasion76

This is true. I've found that a majority a folks who didn't like Rush tend to have boring musical tastes.

My brother is a great example. He's in the " Geddy can't sing " camp.. but he loves Boston, Foreigner and Journey.. wow. How very adventurous of you

As a kid I was one of the few Rush fans that I knew of... my sister and I and the occasional fan at school, so, few and far between. As such I got a lot of teasing and got called 'Geddy' quite a bit (hadn't grown into my nose yet, I guess). I noticed the most vehemently opposed to Rush and Geddy's voice were Van Halen fans (of which, obviously I wasn't). Apparently, never the twain shall meet. :eyeroll:

• Like 1