Rush new documentary

rugen

Hope they show this at a theater near me. I may have to check it out. As far as Neil's book goes I'll pass on that. I have plenty of sleeping aids already...

Yeah....The past ones are occasional reads...they feel like the dive reports I put up for my friends when we go scuba diving...it's my "dive log" entry, but some of it's funny and the guys I dive with are entertained... His road reports are interesting at times...but get a little...blah blah blah....

I found the documentary to be even better than I hoped it'd be...emotional to be sure, but a great view into the band and their bond with each other and with their fans.

It was done very well, wasn't it?

I think it was done well enough that it was like them saying "we love all our fans and we appreciate you and this is why we have to quit now. We've left you with all of this awesome music from our heart and soul". I thought it was a bit sad but not in the sense that I wouldn't want to watch it again. It was a celebration of their career and time spent doing what they loved the best. To me that's a very positive thing.

• Like 4

I think it was done well enough that it was like them saying "we love all our fans and we appreciate you and this is why we have to quit now. We've left you with all of this awesome music from our heart and soul". I thought it was a bit sad but not in the sense that I wouldn't want to watch it again. It was a celebration of their career and time spent doing what they loved the best. To me that's a very positive thing.

I found it more than just "a bit" sad. The ending was so harsh, you'd almost think someone in the band had died. I would've preferred they focus less on the whole "OMG, this will be the last show ever...how will we cope???" angle and tried to end on a more upbeat, celebratory note like you mentioned. We did get 40 years, 20 (or so) studio records and a splendid final tour (even though most remote fans didn't get to see it). Despite what they always say about not wanting to make Neil appear solely responsible, that's kinda how you're left feeling after the film. Alex and especially Geddy make it clear they didn't want to stop. I wonder how Neil felt after watching it.

To lighten the mood, they should've closed with Alex donning "the bag" and reprising the whole routine. :)

• Like 1

I found it more than just "a bit" sad. The ending was so harsh, you'd almost think someone in the band had died. I would've preferred they focus less on the whole "OMG, this will be the last show ever...how will we cope???" angle and tried to end on a more upbeat, celebratory note like you mentioned. We did get 40 years, 20 (or so) studio records and a splendid final tour (even though most remote fans didn't get to see it). Despite what they always say about not wanting to make Neil appear solely responsible, that's kinda how you're left feeling after the film. Alex and especially Geddy make it clear they didn't want to stop. I wonder how Neil felt after watching it.

To lighten the mood, they should've closed with Alex donning "the bag" and reprising the whole routine. :)

It's funny that I didn't get that huge of a negative feeling about the whole thing. I've only watched it once but that was my first impression. It would've been funny to have Alex do the bag again.

I've watched it three times by now. In my heart I knew it was over last year after I'd seen them in New Orleans. When I got home after that show I cried really hard... I knew it was over and I was glad I had one more show to go to at the time.

The documentary has some very sad moments indeed. Esp. the part where Alex wraps his arm around Geddy after the LA show :(

But on the other hand Alex cracked me up big time with his grungy version of Subdivisions :LMAO: That brought tears to my eyes as well, but those were happy ones. There really should have been a bonus feature of him doing hilarious stuff on/off stage over the years on this DVD :LOL:

• Like 3

I've watched it three times by now. In my heart I knew it was over last year after I'd seen them in New Orleans. When I got home after that show I cried really hard... I knew it was over and I was glad I had one more show to go to at the time.

The documentary has some very sad moments indeed. Esp. the part where Alex wraps his arm around Geddy after the LA show :(

But on the other hand Alex cracked me up big time with his grungy version of Subdivisions :LMAO: That brought tears to my eyes as well, but those were happy ones. There really should have been a bonus feature of him doing hilarious stuff on/off stage over the years on this DVD :LOL:

I was going to bring up Alex doing his Subdivisions, and I forgot what he said at the end - something like "do you guys have that arrangement down for tonight" - or something like that - made me laugh.

In fact, the only times I did laugh during it was on account of Alex, or Geddy doing his imitation of Ace asking Alex to do the Bag man.

• Like 1

I was going to bring up Alex doing his Subdivisions, and I forgot what he said at the end - something like "do you guys have that arrangement down for tonight" - or something like that - made me laugh.

In fact, the only times I did laugh during it was on account of Alex, or Geddy doing his imitation of Ace asking Alex to do the Bag man.

It's too bad things ended the way they did (esp. for Geddy). Had all three of them been ready for retirement then it might have been a different type of documentary. Maybe even a celebratory and happy one instead of this - at times very sad - retrospective.

I really wonder how Ged's doing right now music-wise since we haven't heard much of him over the past 15 months :( Alex has been out there playing a handful of gigs and worked with Rick Emmet and now with these EDM boys, but Geddy seems to have faded away except for his appearance on the Bob & Doug McKenzie vinyl.

• Like 3

I forgot about Alex's rant during the soundcheck. That was great and gave me a big laugh too! As well as the part where he says "the bag kinda talked like this" while doing the funny voice. I so wanted him to keep going and do the whole routine.

And although the occasion was certainly sad, I found the scene of Alex and Geddy arm-in-arm kind of uplifting. Like even though they had to say goodbye to Rush, they still had each other.