Rush: Time Stand Still Coming to Theaters November 3rd

EagleMoon

Aarrrgh. Having a fever reaction to my flu shot 2 days ago. My husband is actually strangely disappointed. (good guy.) Looks like I will be seeing it on November 18th on DVD.

Have a good time, everyone, and let us know how it is! ������

Yikes! That's why I stopped getting flu shots. Can't afford to be out of commission in bed for 24 to 48 hours.

Hope you're better now!

Thanks! Yes, I started feeling better tonight, of course. Guess I should have timed that better. :facepalm: Now I'm just counting the days until November 18th . . . . :)

• Like 2

Aarrrgh. Having a fever reaction to my flu shot 2 days ago. My husband is actually strangely disappointed. (good guy.) Looks like I will be seeing it on November 18th on DVD.

Have a good time, everyone, and let us know how it is! ������

Yikes! That's why I stopped getting flu shots. Can't afford to be out of commission in bed for 24 to 48 hours.

Hope you're better now!

Thanks! Yes, I started feeling better tonight, of course. Guess I should have timed that better. :facepalm: Now I'm just counting the days until November 18th . . . . :)

I'm glad you're feeling better. I had a reaction like that to a tetanus shot one time. Haven't had once since.

• Like 1

Also, drastically different than Neil's book - the first Toronto show. I watched it on periscope. I knew it was a disaster. Neil states in his book that it was not a good show (Ged quoted as ~"The worst experience on stage of my career") In the movie they portrayed the first night in Toronto as a "Great show". Doesn't really jive - sort of revisionist.

I don't think they were talking about the first show. In the movie, when talking about the "great" Toronto show, they specifically referred to the "Friday" show which was the second show, not the first.

I agree the first show was not great but the second one was.

Yeah, they were talking about the Friday show. The Wednesday show was a trainwreck :LOL:

• Like 1

Also, drastically different than Neil's book - the first Toronto show. I watched it on periscope. I knew it was a disaster. Neil states in his book that it was not a good show (Ged quoted as ~"The worst experience on stage of my career") In the movie they portrayed the first night in Toronto as a "Great show". Doesn't really jive - sort of revisionist.

I don't think they were talking about the first show. In the movie, when talking about the "great" Toronto show, they specifically referred to the "Friday" show which was the second show, not the first.

I agree the first show was not great but the second one was.

Yeah, they were talking about the Friday show. The Wednesday show was a trainwreck :LOL:

ahhh, good point, I forgot that Friday was the second show. That clarifies it. Neil was pretty clear in his book that the first show was a wreck and they all thought so. He didn't really comment on the second, but referred to the fact that at least they were able to salvage material for the DVD.

I think it was a good way for them to really say goodbye to the fans, interposed with all the concert footage. It has a lot of R40 showing them setting up in Tulsa and skipping back and forth with the interviews and showing where they were on the tour. At one point it showed the little screen in the R40 animated intro scrolling through the names of the towns they had already been in and when SLC came up we all yelled. I can't say it was better than BLTS but it was a fitting conclusion, giving us a lot of laughs and tears, I heard a lot of sniffling behind me so I know I wasn't alone.

I feel a bit of envy for all of the fans who saw them so many times, I was a late comer but I jumped in and ran with it while I could, 3 shows that I will remember with fondness and joy. One other surprise for me was seeing how long and loud the fans at the RRHOF induction yelled for them and how much it meant to the guys. That part was edited out of the HBO broadcast so I am glad we got to see it because it sums up how much Rush's fans have made their careers such a long and well loved one.

For those who wanted to see the R&R HoF introduction moment...watch from the beginning, with sound loud, and you'll have some idea of what it was like to be there. Some idea, I say, because for those of us who were there, it seemed even louder, even longer...

• Like 3

On a related note, how do the same people consistently end up in the front row(s)? Are they accepting the StubHub gouge, or is something more clandestine at work?

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised with all the fan bits (thought I would not enjoy, but I did.) But I always wondered that about the front row crew. I mean, back in the day, I had front row a couple times - once by winning a food-drive raffle at the show (Rtb, Great woods, Mass) and once the old fashioned way (skipping school and lining up at the venue at 7 am for a general admission show; HYF tour, RPI, Troy, NY). Since that time, for every single tour, I had been on every pre-sale and public sale online with a fast connection at the very millisecond that tickets went on sale - sometimes kept trying for hours, then later in the day - and only once ever scored tickets in the first 5 rows. I always had decent tickets, but rarely in the first 5 rows (R40 Philly, SnA, Jacksonville). I did splurge for VIP package on 2 tours (and got 2nd, CA tour, Manchester and 7th rows TM tour, Red Rocks). I refused to accept the stubhub gouge. Yet, at nearly every show I was at since 2002, I would see many of the same people in the front couple rows. How do they do it? Ridiculous expenditures on the post-market sales? Connections with the band/crew/management? Sexual favors? Because I don't buy the "sheer luck" path - I've pulled those levers myself for all those tours and came up without the jackpot - no way there is some magical internet connection that allowed them to pull those seats every time.

• Like 1

It's the secondary market folks.

Geddy is certainly pissed. And the fact that Alex and Geddy are interviewed together and Neil seperated in his collector car garage.....I doubt they (Geddy and Neil) are speaking much if at all since the last show (pure speculation).

I also had the same observation, but in Neil's defense, A) he lives in a different place than the other guys and B) ever since Neil's family tragedies, Ged and Alex kind of run things from the public eye perspective, so it wouldn't be surprised if Neil's involvement with the doc was handled on his own terms, for lack of a better phrase.

Neil mentions the "documentary" in his book as one of those things (among a few) that he didn't want to do, but did because "It is was it is, now deal with it" and one of his tenets is ~"if somebody you love wants something, and you can help them get it, then you help". He mentions that he feels strange about having someone else present his biography, because he does his own (autobiography) via his books. The movie mirrored alot of his sentiment about touring, nearly word for word, from his book. However, the movie left out any mention of his 7 year old (which is covered extensively in the latest book) and also doesn't go near Neil's description of being a drummer or lyricist as being exclusively in his past. All of Neil's interview bits are from his Bubba Cave (described in detail in the book), where he stores his vintage sports cars (in the midst of homelessness in LA; a juxtaposition that seems bizarre to me; but is almost flaunted in the book.) Most certainly, his participation was on his terms.

It's the secondary market folks.

They must have crazy disposable income (the dude that did 37 shows on the CA tour!!?!) Even if he got the tickets second hand for $500 a show, that's $18,500 just for tickets! (Not to mention, travel, hotels, and then, if they're on tour, when do they work to pay for all that? lol) The Larger Bowl, indeed! :huh: lol; well, good for them!

• Like 1

I thought the entire film was very well done. I do agree with Cygnify though about the amateur/semi pro musician take. I fall firmly into that camp as well. Rush changed the course of my life at the tender age of 11. I guess it would be really hard to narrow down a segment on that though. There are 10's of thousands of us out there. I still always get a kick out of guy's that did "make" it glowing about Rush.

Taylor Hawkins segment spoke to me so strongly. I too watched Exit Stage Left on VHS 100's of times and I wore out that tape. I recorded it on a Friday night off MTV and learned to play guitar watching that video....over and over and over. They were Super Heros to me...larger than life.

This was the rubber stamp on the end of Rush. And you know I am glad they did it this way....otherwise tickets for the R-40 tour may have been way out of hand to the highest degree. Being able to see them 2 times (Tampa, Las Vegas) was a blessing. I was going to go to L.A. but real life got in the way for that one, so Vegas was my "last show" and they flashed a picture of me and my longtime friend and drummer during The Spirit Of Radio. Something I will never forget. It was like they knew I was there.

Corny I know......but I love these guys like family. And being able to share this with my now 11 year old son (he has been lucky enough to have seen them 4 times and meet them) was also such a blessing. First thing he wanted to do when we got in the car was crank up some Rush.

Long live Rush.

Yeah, it was great to see those pros talk about Rush, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. In my 30 odd years of playing music, I've encountered such a high percentage of Rock musicians that owe so much to Rush (more so than any other group?) Like Todem said, 10's of thousands of us that have taken that inspiration to play music, and made pro and semi-pro careers out of it. I see it as a distinct and very large sub-section of fans (not 'better', but different).

I was just like you Todem, ESL on MTV, VHS recording, playing it over and over (though I was in it for the drumming!) It is bizarre to think about the role MTV played in my Rush fandom in that 1982-1985 time period (Grace Under Pressure video was also HUGE once it came out). But, being a Rush inspired musician for all these years (even made it myself into Modern Drummer magazine for a little "on the move" column) just shaped my life completely (my music career also led to meeting my wife!). Like you, I attempted to assimilate my three boys (took one to a show at age 11) however, the fandom was not passed down to the degree that their old man would have liked :codger:

• Like 1

On a related note, how do the same people consistently end up in the front row(s)? Are they accepting the StubHub gouge, or is something more clandestine at work?

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised with all the fan bits (thought I would not enjoy, but I did.) But I always wondered that about the front row crew. I mean, back in the day, I had front row a couple times - once by winning a food-drive raffle at the show (Rtb, Great woods, Mass) and once the old fashioned way (skipping school and lining up at the venue at 7 am for a general admission show; HYF tour, RPI, Troy, NY). Since that time, for every single tour, I had been on every pre-sale and public sale online with a fast connection at the very millisecond that tickets went on sale - sometimes kept trying for hours, then later in the day - and only once ever scored tickets in the first 5 rows. I always had decent tickets, but rarely in the first 5 rows (R40 Philly, SnA, Jacksonville). I did splurge for VIP package on 2 tours (and got 2nd, CA tour, Manchester and 7th rows TM tour, Red Rocks). I refused to accept the stubhub gouge. Yet, at nearly every show I was at since 2002, I would see many of the same people in the front couple rows. How do they do it? Ridiculous expenditures on the post-market sales? Connections with the band/crew/management? Sexual favors? Because I don't buy the "sheer luck" path - I've pulled those levers myself for all those tours and came up without the jackpot - no way there is some magical internet connection that allowed them to pull those seats every time.

On the CA tour I ended up in the first and second rows because I bought my tickets literally the second they went on sale. For R40 I was out of the country when they went on sale so I got them from StubHub.

The thing is, one you go front row you can't go back :D (Plus, it being their last tour there was no "maybe I'll get first row next time".)

On the CA tour I ended up in the first and second rows because I bought my tickets literally the second they went on sale. For R40 I was out of the country when they went on sale so I got them from StubHub.

The thing is, one you go front row you can't go back :D (Plus, it being their last tour there was no "maybe I'll get first row next time".)

You were very, very lucky. Like I said, I tried the same way for nearly 50 shows. Never pulled front row, rarely first 5 rows. How those people did it, show after show could only be explained by huge cash outlays or connections.

Cygnify has it right on both accounts; cash and connections, at least for me. Re front row tickets, I have to admit, I almost always paid dearly for those seats on the resale market. Fortunately, it didn't break the bank for me. I work in a very narrow area of railroad law, one that virtually no company in the world gives a fig about, but if you are a US railroad, you really need someone that knows what they are talking about. Anyway, if I am going to fly to Albuquerque or New Hampshire, or drive to Moline, I am going to make sure it is worth my while, hence the good seats. That said, really good Rush tickets and single malt scotch might be my only two vices. Almost everything else in my life is quite simple; I drive my cars until they have at least 200,000 miles on them, I buy clothes once every few years, I vacation in cheap cottages in Michigan, and I love me a good box of Kraft mac and cheese for dinner. Also, re connections, while not having any with the band, once you've been in the fronts for a bit, you get to know the other regulars, and you build connections as to who might have an interest when you pull two tickets. I was fortunate enough to fall in with some folks who sold to one another at the Stubhub cost, with proof of receipt sent up front with the offer so there was no quibbling; expensive, yes, but no markup beyond whet the purchaser paid. So my odds of getting in the front row increased as I shared my good fortune with others. That's how a network grows.
  • Like 5

Cygnify has it right on both accounts; cash and connections, at least for me. Re front row tickets, I have to admit, I almost always paid dearly for those seats on the resale market. Fortunately, it didn't break the bank for me. I work in a very narrow area of railroad law, one that virtually no company in the world gives a fig about, but if you are a US railroad, you really need someone that knows what they are talking about. Anyway, if I am going to fly to Albuquerque or New Hampshire, or drive to Moline, I am going to make sure it is worth my while, hence the good seats. That said, really good Rush tickets and single malt scotch might be my only two vices. Almost everything else in my life is quite simple; I drive my cars until they have at least 200,000 miles on them, I buy clothes once every few years, I vacation in cheap cottages in Michigan, and I love me a good box of Kraft mac and cheese for dinner. Also, re connections, while not having any with the band, once you've been in the fronts for a bit, you get to know the other regulars, and you build connections as to who might have an interest when you pull two tickets. I was fortunate enough to fall in with some folks who sold to one another at the Stubhub cost, with proof of receipt sent up front with the offer so there was no quibbling; expensive, yes, but no markup beyond whet the purchaser paid. So my odds of getting in the front row increased as I shared my good fortune with others. That's how a network grows.

Very fortunate indeed...it sounds like this puts you in an exclusive one hundredth of one percent or so of Rush fans, Tom.

It's really awesome to have those kinds of opportunities!

I think it was a good way for them to really say goodbye to the fans, interposed with all the concert footage. It has a lot of R40 showing them setting up in Tulsa and skipping back and forth with the interviews and showing where they were on the tour. At one point it showed the little screen in the R40 animated intro scrolling through the names of the towns they had already been in and when SLC came up we all yelled. I can't say it was better than BLTS but it was a fitting conclusion, giving us a lot of laughs and tears, I heard a lot of sniffling behind me so I know I wasn't alone.

I feel a bit of envy for all of the fans who saw them so many times, I was a late comer but I jumped in and ran with it while I could, 3 shows that I will remember with fondness and joy. One other surprise for me was seeing how long and loud the fans at the RRHOF induction yelled for them and how much it meant to the guys. That part was edited out of the HBO broadcast so I am glad we got to see it because it sums up how much Rush's fans have made their careers such a long and well loved one.

For those who wanted to see the R&R HoF introduction moment...watch from the beginning, with sound loud, and you'll have some idea of what it was like to be there. Some idea, I say, because for those of us who were there, it seemed even louder, even longer...

Wasn't there but this is my favorite moment of the whole night...even better than Alex's speech which was pretty amazing. I guess it's pretty cool that both of those moments were totally organic and unscripted.

• Like 1

Wasn't there but this is my favorite moment of the whole night...even better than Alex's speech which was pretty amazing. I guess it's pretty cool that both of those moments were totally organic and unscripted.

That got to me the first time I saw it, and it still gets me. Totally awesome.

Saw it now for just the second time. Great moment. I'm glad they didn't do what many TRFers said they should do...and that was, to not show up to the ceremony and blow it off completely.

• Like 1

I wanna go take my dad to see the 2nd screening on the 17th but he can't. I already saw it but i kinda wanna see it again.

I'm not even going to watch the whole doc I'm just going to re-watch my favorite scenes and that is certainly one of them.

• Like 1

FYI, in case people didn't notice in whichever place they mentioned it--there is a DVD release with an extra booklet signed by Alan Weinrib and Dale Heslip at newbury comics for basically the normal price of the DVD (limit of 5 per customer). I have bought from them before several times and their autographed items are all authentic, usually special preorders at no extra charge, and you get a sealed copy of the release with an extra booklet that is hand-signed. Normally it's with CD releases. They also have a lot of vinyl that they sell, sometimes releasing their own exclusive limited pressings of certain titles. Anyway, I figure people here would be interested in something like this, since the autographed booklet is basically a freebie, and nobody runs around looking for Geddy's brother's autograph that I know of. Here's the link: https://www.newburyc...ant=30252031820

What did you think of the autographs?

Allan's almost looks like a messier version of Carl Palmer and it looks like Dave's "signature" almost looks looks like he printed it.

Still cool though. May try to snag a poster at FYE. Gumby and the tour laminate don't do much for me.

Watched the several times since Friday and I am thoroughly impressed....incredibly well put together. What strikes me most is that each of them understands the true nature of a relationship.. Which is that for good or bad, agree or disagree, they support and respect each others positions and decisions. I loved that sentiment more than any other. Right to the end, they continue to inspire.

Saw this twice, with Rushcon 2016 and just my dad and I in our local theater. Both times I almost choked up. Very well put together, and it really digs up a lot of stuff we didn't know what was going on during the R40 tour.

FYI, in case people didn't notice in whichever place they mentioned it--there is a DVD release with an extra booklet signed by Alan Weinrib and Dale Heslip at newbury comics for basically the normal price of the DVD (limit of 5 per customer). I have bought from them before several times and their autographed items are all authentic, usually special preorders at no extra charge, and you get a sealed copy of the release with an extra booklet that is hand-signed. Normally it's with CD releases. They also have a lot of vinyl that they sell, sometimes releasing their own exclusive limited pressings of certain titles. Anyway, I figure people here would be interested in something like this, since the autographed booklet is basically a freebie, and nobody runs around looking for Geddy's brother's autograph that I know of. Here's the link: https://www.newburyc...ant=30252031820

What did you think of the autographs?

Allan's almost looks like a messier version of Carl Palmer and it looks like Dave's "signature" almost looks looks like he printed it.

Still cool though. May try to snag a poster at FYE. Gumby and the tour laminate don't do much for me.

I'd not mind having a tour laminate--totally forgot to ask my friend who manages Jacks Music to hold one for me.

Autographs are what they are, but I was surprised that there was no booklet and that they signed a whole outer package without the DVD in it. Also surprised it was signed on the back. I was really happily surprised it came on the 18th with my Amazon preorder for the BluRay.