Rush: Time Stand Still Coming to Theaters November 3rd

EagleMoon

The only TRFers I recognized were me (in the intro, front row, Alex's side) and Greyfriar (in the credits, pokes his head in from the right side). Well, I do know there were many TRFers in the crowd shots of the LA show, but you'd need to pause a DVD in order to have the time to see us. Tom Healey, I'll look for you on the DVD :)

I almost forgot Greyfrier's appearance. Hilarious. Complete video-bomb of the shot. Brought a smile to my face.
  • Like 1

I didn't get "mad at Neil" from Geddy. I get "completely devastated and still struggling to accept that Rush is really over, but trying not to show it."

Yeah, he is definitely the one who is struggling the most with acceptance.

Perhaps because he's the one who doesn't seem to have a specific health issue that is dampening his love of performing. He has described the quite impressive and arduous procedures that he has to follow on the road to preserve his energy and his voice, but unlike Neil and Al, he apparently doesn't have issues that give him pain during the actual performance.

• Like 2

Also, drastically different than Neil's book - the first Toronto show. I watched it on periscope. I knew it was a disaster. Neil states in his book that it was not a good show (Ged quoted as ~"The worst experience on stage of my career") In the movie they portrayed the first night in Toronto as a "Great show". Doesn't really jive - sort of revisionist.

Yes. I had exactly the same reaction re the band's comments on Toronto. I don't recall Alex distinguishing himself either night. Maybe they felt like they couldn't say "yes, our last shows in our home town were rather ragged." You'd think from watching the movie that they're commenting on the dubbed DVD version of the show, because they sure didn't see the 'scopes that I did, and 'scopes don't lie.

• Like 2

I also loved Nancy's Wilson repeating her comment from a few years ago, that "Rush was like a dog whistle that only men could hear." A great line, and particularly funny for those of us that lived through the AFTK through Signals era, although of course the membership and participation of this board puts the comment to a lie currently.
  • Like 6

The only TRFers I recognized were me (in the intro, front row, Alex's side) and Greyfriar (in the credits, pokes his head in from the right side). Well, I do know there were many TRFers in the crowd shots of the LA show, but you'd need to pause a DVD in order to have the time to see us. Tom Healey, I'll look for you on the DVD :)

I almost forgot Greyfrier's appearance. Hilarious. Complete video-bomb of the shot. Brought a smile to my face.

I can't wait to see it again, then! Wish I would have known to pay that close of attention...I would think I'd be able to pick out greyfriar pretty easily, at least.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I didn't get "mad at Neil" from Geddy. I get "completely devastated and still struggling to accept that Rush is really over, but trying not to show it."

Yeah, he is definitely the one who is struggling the most with acceptance.

Perhaps because he's the one who doesn't seem to have a specific health issue that is dampening his love of performing. He has described the quite impressive and arduous procedures that he has to follow on the road to preserve his energy and his voice, but unlike Neil and Al, he apparently doesn't have issues that give him pain during the actual performance.

Agreed.

Another telling thing... Through the film, as they are counting down to the last show, Geddy & Alex have an attitude of "Oh drat, only one more show to go :( " while Neil said "Oh my god, I still have to do one more show".
  • Like 3

Another telling thing... Through the film, as they are counting down to the last show, Geddy & Alex have an attitude of "Oh drat, only one more show to go :( " while Neil said "Oh my god, I still have to do one more show".

I thought about that, but I perceived it a little differently- because I thought about it more in terms of his dedication to his craft- the mental and physical preparedness that he brings to each show- five shows to go, three shows to go, one more show to go- not to be dismissed as being 'down to the last show', but rather looking at it like, "I have one more show to do"- just the idea that he had still built it up to be as much as any other show they'd ever put on, because that's what he demands of himself, mentally and physically- not just going through the motions, or resting on any laurels.

That was my take on it, anyway.

• Like 3

The tension between Neil and Geddy is quite apparent.

Tension? I sensed no tension. Geddy had already said "there is no bad guy" in regards to when they call it quits. Sure, he's disappointed that they aren't going to do tours anymore, but I've seen no evidence of any rift between Geddy and Neil.

Todem, I appreciate your whole post- though I don't choose to focus too much on whether Geddy is mad at Neil, or to speculate at all about that. (I don't disagree, but I don't necessarily agree either). But as for everything else you said...right on, right on.

I am another one of those amateur musicians as well- I started playing the drums because of my older brother who started playing them because of Neil. My brother raised me on Rush music. So...long live the music. :cheers:

Oh yeah....I am not trying to focus on that. But it really struck me when I watched it last night. Geddy is visibly upset about the whole thing. I feel for him and then on the flip side truly understand why Neil is retired.

It stinks. But I am very happy they are truly the unit they have always been and will never do anything Rush related on stage without Neil. It would just not sit right for me personally....and obviously for Geddy and Alex....it's a non negotiable for them.

Right on about the musical connection!!! Doing Rush covers in middle school and high school with my band (along with being a high school baseball player) was a big part of my formative teen years and learning my craft.

I was one of those Rush fans who actually was a successful middle school/high school athlete and musician. I can't say I fit neatly into the typical stereotypical box so many people had about Rush fans. But the crowd I hung with in my teen years was my Rush/musician brotherhood and sisterhood. That bond we had was unbreakable. I only had one other teammate on my baseball team that enjoyed Rush. The rest were the prototypical high school jock crowd that went with whatever was popular at the time LOL.

• Like 2

Todem, I appreciate your whole post- though I don't choose to focus too much on whether Geddy is mad at Neil, or to speculate at all about that. (I don't disagree, but I don't necessarily agree either). But as for everything else you said...right on, right on.

I am another one of those amateur musicians as well- I started playing the drums because of my older brother who started playing them because of Neil. My brother raised me on Rush music. So...long live the music. :cheers:

Oh yeah....I am not trying to focus on that. But it really struck me when I watched it last night. Geddy is visibly upset about the whole thing. I feel for him and then on the flip side truly understand why Neil is retired.

It stinks. But I am very happy they are truly the unit they have always been and will never do anything Rush related on stage without Neil. It would just not sit right for me personally....and obviously for Geddy and Alex....it's a non negotiable for them.

Right on about the musical connection!!! Doing Rush covers in middle school and high school with my band (along with being a high school baseball player) was a big part of my formative teen years and learning my craft.

I was one of those Rush fans who actually was a successful middle school/high school athlete and musician. I can't say I fit neatly into the typical stereotypical box so many people had about Rush fans. But the crowd I hung with in my teen years was my Rush/musician brotherhood and sisterhood. That bond we had was unbreakable. I only had one other teammate on my baseball team that enjoyed Rush. The rest were the prototypical high school jock crowd that went with whatever was popular at the time LOL.

I went to the movie last night with a friend of mine of nearly thirty years...we went to my second (and his first) Rush show together in 1990, as well as a few in the next couple of years after that- and he also went with me to a Clockwork Angels show in 2013.

I was totally okay with going it alone last night (just as I did to the one R40 show I saw)...but as it turned out, I was really glad that we both went.

• Like 1

Geddy is certainly pissed. And the fact that Alex and Geddy are interviewed together and Neil seperated in his collector car garage.....I doubt they (Geddy and Neil) are speaking much if at all since the last show (pure speculation).

I also had the same observation, but in Neil's defense, A) he lives in a different place than the other guys and B) ever since Neil's family tragedies, Ged and Alex kind of run things from the public eye perspective, so it wouldn't be surprised if Neil's involvement with the doc was handled on his own terms, for lack of a better phrase.

• Like 3

I think it was a good way for them to really say goodbye to the fans, interposed with all the concert footage. It has a lot of R40 showing them setting up in Tulsa and skipping back and forth with the interviews and showing where they were on the tour. At one point it showed the little screen in the R40 animated intro scrolling through the names of the towns they had already been in and when SLC came up we all yelled. I can't say it was better than BLTS but it was a fitting conclusion, giving us a lot of laughs and tears, I heard a lot of sniffling behind me so I know I wasn't alone.

I feel a bit of envy for all of the fans who saw them so many times, I was a late comer but I jumped in and ran with it while I could, 3 shows that I will remember with fondness and joy. One other surprise for me was seeing how long and loud the fans at the RRHOF induction yelled for them and how much it meant to the guys. That part was edited out of the HBO broadcast so I am glad we got to see it because it sums up how much Rush's fans have made their careers such a long and well loved one.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

I think there was far too much emphasis on a few fans. Performance clips excluded, I think some of them had more screen time than Neil. Each of us (a cell of awareness!) have our own fan story, and I'm not necessarily interested in seeing others for a large portion of a documentary about Rush/R40. I want more Rush. Heck, I'm far more interested in the role crew and production team members had in R40/Rush than fan stories.

I'm happy to have any new Rush content at this point, and there were some really great bits, but I confess myself disappointed.

On a related note, how do the same people consistently end up in the front row(s)? Are they accepting the StubHub gouge, or is something more clandestine at work?

• Like 1

Geddy is certainly pissed. And the fact that Alex and Geddy are interviewed together and Neil seperated in his collector car garage.....I doubt they (Geddy and Neil) are speaking much if at all since the last show (pure speculation).

I also had the same observation, but in Neil's defense, A) he lives in a different place than the other guys and B) ever since Neil's family tragedies, Ged and Alex kind of run things from the public eye perspective, so it wouldn't be surprised if Neil's involvement with the doc was handled on his own terms, for lack of a better phrase.

Yes, I agree completely.

On a related note, how do the same people consistently end up in the front row(s)? Are they accepting the StubHub gouge, or is something more clandestine at work?

On the CA tour I ended up in the first and second rows because I bought my tickets literally the second they went on sale. For R40 I was out of the country when they went on sale so I got them from StubHub.

The thing is, one you go front row you can't go back :D (Plus, it being their last tour there was no "maybe I'll get first row next time".)

• Like 1

It's always fun to watch these documentaries and see other musicians talk about how much they love Rush.......and then talk about Neil PURT......

:LOL: :lol:

Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

To me it shows they were fans before the internet and (other)documentaries showed us the proper way to say Neil's last name.

My first Rush album was on an 8 track tape. :codger: And I used to say "Purt". But since I now know how the man wants his name pronounced, i do so.

Now I'm really curious and that makes the wait even harder.

Can't believe that I'm in the film. WTF have I done??? :banghead: :wacko:

• Like 3

Now I'm really curious and that makes the wait even harder.

Can't believe that I'm in the film. WTF have I done??? :banghead: :wacko:

Nothing bad, don't worry!

• Like 1

Also, drastically different than Neil's book - the first Toronto show. I watched it on periscope. I knew it was a disaster. Neil states in his book that it was not a good show (Ged quoted as ~"The worst experience on stage of my career") In the movie they portrayed the first night in Toronto as a "Great show". Doesn't really jive - sort of revisionist.

I noticed that too. Maybe from their perspective it was. But I watched it too and it was NOT magic to me. I don't know where that came from. Obviously HE was having a blast.

I think there was far too much emphasis on a few fans. Performance clips excluded, I think some of them had more screen time than Neil. Each of us (a cell of awareness!) have our own fan story, and I'm not necessarily interested in seeing others for a large portion of a documentary about Rush/R40. I want more Rush. Heck, I'm far more interested in the role crew and production team members had in R40/Rush than fan stories.

I'm happy to have any new Rush content at this point, and there were some really great bits, but I confess myself disappointed.

More crew would have been great. They've been there for just as long and never get the credit they deserve (except from the band.)

More of the Ray's (Danniels and W.) would have been great too. They really short changed his collection.

• Like 1

It's always fun to watch these documentaries and see other musicians talk about how much they love Rush.......and then talk about Neil PURT......

:LOL: :lol:

Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

To me it shows they were fans before the internet and (other)documentaries showed us the proper way to say Neil's last name.

My first Rush album was on an 8 track tape. :codger: And I used to say "Purt". But since I now know how the man wants his name pronounced, i do so.

Good.

And yeah I listened to Rush in the 70s too. I pronounced Neil's last name as "Purt" from that time up to around R30. That's a lot of "Purt" despite me not saying it that way anymore. Surely, it's more habit than disrespect when people say "Purt".

My real last name is the easiest thing in the world to pronounce yet people have been mispronouncing it my entire life. No big deal.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I don't think they were talking about the first show. In the movie, when talking about the "great" Toronto show, they specifically referred to the "Friday" show which was the second show, not the first.

I agree the first show was not great but the second one was.

• Like 1