Rush: Time Stand Still Coming to Theaters November 3rd

EagleMoon

My wife and I just got back from tonight's showing. Lot's of sniffling men :( (including me) and 4 women :LOL: at our show. It was like a memorial service. Great soundtrack!! Great documentary! Great band!! Thank you RUSH, you will be missed. Edited by mandydog
  • Like 7

It's always fun to watch these documentaries and see other musicians talk about how much they love Rush.......and then talk about Neil PURT......

:LOL: :lol:

• Like 6

The Presto footage is indeed from the Auburn Hills March 8 show. Sounded fantastic and looked much better than what has been floating around the internet/trading circles. The played a montage of Red Barchetta through the years and there were brief audio/video clips from various releases, including the "new" Presto footage.

Wow, I would have guessed it was from the Mountain View show, in bootleg circles I think the quality is much higher than the Auburn Hills show. They must have gotten a higher quality copy. That's exciting although if it is indeed better I wish it was the whole thing. Thanks for the info though!

Interesting too because Red Barchetta is not one of the songs being released from that 1990 show...

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 1

I very much enjoyed the film. I recognized a bunch of fans in it. I thought it was a fair, balanced and unflinching account of what many of us Rush fans are like, and what Rush has meant to us.

I really liked Geddy's comments about the emotions of the HoF induction. For an event that the band downplayed (until it happened, anyway), and many fans on this board decried, it was rewarding to hear how much their induction (or, at least, the amazing ovation we gave them that night) still means to him.

The tension they portray over the last show in LA amongst the band was all but invisible to us in the seats that night. But you sure feel it in the film.

Most importantly, I thought, was that while the film makes very clear, from a host of sources (including Neil), that it was Neil's decision that touring will end at LA, and that decision was not the hopes of his band mates, tour manager, etc., they respected what he went through to pull off the R40 tour at all.

Oh, wait, "even more most importantly," no shots of me bawling like a baby in LA during Xanadu. My foolish male pride remains intact. But I did see my ruddy Irish face in Neil's snap of the fans at the last show. I'm a star on the silver screen!

• Like 10

Just got home from Edmonton screening. Just awesome on so many levels. Thankful I took the time to go see it in a packed auditorium with many best friends I don't know that share my love for this band. We laughed together and choked up together. I never released those Red coverall guys in the front row on Clockwork Angels could be hardcores on the road, it appears Arkansas by the Razorbacks patches. Hats off to those fine gents. I wish I could have been at the last show all the time, but I am still incredibly thankful for the fact the tour did happen and that I was able to see it one spectacular night in Calgary. Definitely still a little choked up.
  • Like 5

It's always fun to watch these documentaries and see other musicians talk about how much they love Rush.......and then talk about Neil PURT......

Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

To me it shows they were fans before the internet and (other)documentaries showed us the proper way to say Neil's last name.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I just got home from the show. Our theatre was not very full at all; less than half full. The movie itself was emotional, and yes, they are telling us things are definitely over.

The only TRFers I recognized were me (in the intro, front row, Alex's side) and Greyfriar (in the credits, pokes his head in from the right side). Well, I do know there were many TRFers in the crowd shots of the LA show, but you'd need to pause a DVD in order to have the time to see us. Tom Healey, I'll look for you on the DVD :)

• Like 4

I just got home from the show. Our theatre was not very full at all; less than half full. The movie itself was emotional, and yes, they are telling us things are definitely over.

The only TRFers I recognized were me (in the intro, front row, Alex's side) and Greyfriar (in the credits, pokes his head in from the right side). Well, I do know there were many TRFers in the crowd shots of the LA show, but you'd need to pause a DVD in order to have the time to see us. Tom Healey, I'll look for you on the DVD :)

Hey, Gina! It was fun to point out to my buddy that I kmew the hot girl in the front row! And of course seeing Greyfriar was a hoot! Was that Duff holding up the poster right before Working Man?
  • Like 1

Hey, Gina! It was fun to point out to my buddy that I kmew the hot girl in the front row! And of course seeing Greyfriar was a hoot! Was that Duff holding up the poster right before Working Man?

:blush: No, he didn't have a poster at the show. We can probably find him on the DVD, though.

• Like 1

I just got home from the movie (1:26 am here) including a post-movie celebration amongst my 4 local Rush buddies (we've traveled for decades to see Rush and made some memories). I'm still pretty buzzed, so excuse my grammar. One friend thought the movie was overly dramatic ("ok, we get it, just get on with retirement") another admitted being fairly emotional about it - personally, I had just finished Neil's latest book, so I already knew exactly where his latest position was and knew what to expect. A couple things I found interesting: for Neil's reasons for retirement, they mentioned his health issue, and he stated Clockwork was sorta the album they always wanted to make - but they specifically avoided his family (young daughter) as being a reason. From his book, I would say that was possibly the primary reason. (the movie specifically mentions Alex's grandchildren, but specifically avoided any mention of Neil's daughter - which was all over his book.) Most critically, the movie focuses on "this was the last tour". In addition, Neil's book also states "I won't play drums like that again" "I am withdrawn from writing lyrics again." etc. Rush seems to hold out the possibility of future studio work, but Neil's book is fairly definitively against that. It's clear there's a division in feeling within the band (most certainly between Neil and Geddy!)

Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed most of the fan segments (I cringed when thinking about this in anticipation...) I think the collector's segment will help me with my wife (See honey, I'm not that crazy.....) Jillian was awesome. Loved her segments. Liked that they had the Randy Johnson segment. I was worried they would focus too much on the fans that were, let's say, a bit extraordinarily over the top (i.e. in need of therapy). For example, my friend has only seen Rush 20 times, but enjoys their music and is as big of a fan as anyone out there (what defines a "big fan"?)

One element that I thought was missing from the fan section - which also was missed in Beyond the Lighted Stage, was amateur musicians. I am biased, because that's what I am, but Rush's influence on young musicians has been immense. Look at Modern Drummer magazine over the last 35 years - almost no issue goes by without some new drummer on the scene naming Neil as a huge inspiration. Same hold in bass land, or guitar... Personally, Rush inspired me which led to my semi-pro career in music that has been the passion of my life and altered my life in so many ways. I know 20+ musicians in my town with a similar story. The "fan docs" seem to miss this element of musical inspiration and influence.

• Like 5

Also, drastically different than Neil's book - the first Toronto show. I watched it on periscope. I knew it was a disaster. Neil states in his book that it was not a good show (Ged quoted as ~"The worst experience on stage of my career") In the movie they portrayed the first night in Toronto as a "Great show". Doesn't really jive - sort of revisionist.
  • Like 4

My wife and I just got back from tonight's showing. Lot's of sniffling men :( (including me) and 4 women :LOL: at our show. It was like a memorial service. Great soundtrack!! Great documentary! Great band!! Thank you RUSH, you will be missed.

I was very sad at the end. No doubt about it. RUSH IS DEAD! R.I.P.

REST IN PEART!

The Presto footage is indeed from the Auburn Hills March 8 show. Sounded fantastic and looked much better than what has been floating around the internet/trading circles. The played a montage of Red Barchetta through the years and there were brief audio/video clips from various releases, including the "new" Presto footage.

March 8, 1990- that was two days after my very first Rush show, in Cincinnati (the show immediately preceding Auburn Hills, if I'm not mistaken).

Ok, so spoilers then.... I enjoyed the part where the fan from Argentina explained how difficult it is to be married to a rush fan and he specifically mentioned "the family budget is at risk." I pride myself on being a big fan while simultaneously maintaining self control So it's always good to be able to point at the other guy as the "crazy" one.
  • Like 4

Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

To me it shows they were fans before the internet and (other) documentaries showed us the proper way to say Neil's last name.

I am one of those fans for sure! It was only a couple of years ago when I found out how to correctly pronounce his last name. :LOL:

• Like 1

..... for Neil's reasons for retirement, they mentioned his health issue, and he stated Clockwork was sorta the album they always wanted to make - but they specifically avoided his family (young daughter) as being a reason. From his book, I would say that was possibly the primary reason.

A very good reason, IMO. The last thing we need is another story about Neil's wife and daughter, as it always leads back to his first wife and daughter. That part of the band's past doesn't need to be explored anymore.

Geddy is certainly pissed. And the fact that Alex and Geddy are interviewed together and Neil seperated in his collector car garage.....I doubt they (Geddy and Neil) are speaking much if at all since the last show (pure speculation).

Geddy was not ready for this at all. The tension between Neil and Geddy is quite apparent. Seeing the physical struggles of Neil really hit home and I hope quiets some of the foolish BS we were reading for a while after R40 concluded. He is 63 and....can't do this anymore at the level he demands of himself. I can't fault him for walking away. It was time and his body was telling him that.

I thought the entire film was very well done. I do agree with Cygnify though about the amateur/semi pro musician take. I fall firmly into that camp as well. Rush changed the course of my life at the tender age of 11. I guess it would be really hard to narrow down a segment on that though. There are 10's of thousands of us out there. I still always get a kick out of guy's that did "make" it glowing about Rush.

Taylor Hawkins segment spoke to me so strongly. I too watched Exit Stage Left on VHS 100's of times and I wore out that tape. I recorded it on a Friday night off MTV and learned to play guitar watching that video....over and over and over. They were Super Heros to me...larger than life.

This was the rubber stamp on the end of Rush. And you know I am glad they did it this way....otherwise tickets for the R-40 tour may have been way out of hand to the highest degree. Being able to see them 2 times (Tampa, Las Vegas) was a blessing. I was going to go to L.A. but real life got in the way for that one, so Vegas was my "last show" and they flashed a picture of me and my longtime friend and drummer during The Spirit Of Radio. Something I will never forget. It was like they knew I was there.

Corny I know......but I love these guys like family. And being able to share this with my now 11 year old son (he has been lucky enough to have seen them 4 times and meet them) was also such a blessing. First thing he wanted to do when we got in the car was crank up some Rush.

Long live Rush.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 8

Todem, I appreciate your whole post- though I don't choose to focus too much on whether Geddy is mad at Neil, or to speculate at all about that. (I don't disagree, but I don't necessarily agree either). But as for everything else you said...right on, right on.

I am another one of those amateur musicians as well- I started playing the drums because of my older brother who started playing them because of Neil. My brother raised me on Rush music. So...long live the music. :cheers:

• Like 5

I don't think that Geddy is mad AT Neil (he really can't be mad if the man isn't physically capable of touring) but I think, of the three, he's clearly the most frustrated with not playing. Ged also seems the most driven to create so I'll not be surprised when some form of new material arrives from him (probably along with Alex).
  • Like 4

I don't think that Geddy is mad AT Neil (he really can't be mad if the man isn't physically capable of touring) but I think, of the three, he's clearly the most frustrated with not playing. Ged also seems the most driven to create so I'll not be surprised when some form of new material arrives from him (probably along with Alex).

Yeah, I agree with that. If it were solely up to him, I'm sure that Rush would have new material recorded already, and they would continue to tour.

So...it'll be very enjoyable, I think, to find out what he does next.

On a side note, just to expand on the little tale of me trying to watch R40 versus my daughter´s demands, which permeated this thread: I picked her up in school yesterday and asked her what she wanted to do until her mother arrived. She said: "I want to eat tapioca and watch that show". "That" show was the only one she´s seen so far - R40!!!!
  • Like 6

I didn't get "mad at Neil" from Geddy. I get "completely devastated and still struggling to accept that Rush is really over, but trying not to show it."

Yeah, he is definitely the one who is struggling the most with acceptance.

• Like 1