Rush: Time Stand Still Coming to Theaters November 3rd

EagleMoon

Wow...gotta say, I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) by all the bandwidth that's been taken up in this thread with discussing the merits of the title of a documentary.

How very 'internet' of all of you!

:facepalm:

I see the same sort of free associating going on in this thread that you would find in any conversation.

• Like 1

He had decided this prior to R40 - and the only way he was going on the road again would be if one of the other guys said they really wanted to and weren't sure they could ever do it at some future date due to health concerns.

Just to clarify and make sure I am not misunderstanding this, Neil said that Alex basically told him and Geddy (I'm paraphrasing this obviously) that he really wanted to do R40 primarily because if Alex didn't tour now, due to his bad arthritis, he didn't know if his health would permit him to ever tour in the future?

Correct. Neil had made up his mind to retire (in 2014) and went to YYZ to tell the others. He had, however, left a very small door open in his position. IF another one of the guys really, really wanted to tour and thought that they could not do so in the future due to health concerns. He met with Lerxst and Dirk, and Alex (without knowing it) basically said exactly what Neil was leaving as that small open door. Neil indicated he was really not happy about modifying his decision, but agreed to the tour (* though it is clear to me that Neil put every ounce of energy into making the tour as good as it could possibly be. But it was only ever going to be those 35 shows.)

The way Neil writes it does imply that Alex was significantly concerned about future touring due to his arthritis. It seemed to be a now or never proposition (in 2015.)

....which in itself is still holding the door open. If the answer was just "never touring again," THAT'S final. But to say, "OK, I'll tour now because I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to do it again" in itself implies that you're holding open the idea of future touring. I'll say it again......Neil wanted a break and was pissed because he got hurried into another nostalgia tour. Rush will at the very least make another album, and if it happens before they turn 70, I bet Neill will be up for touring in support of new material.

Wow...gotta say, I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) by all the bandwidth that's been taken up in this thread with discussing the merits of the title of a documentary.

How very 'internet' of all of you!

:facepalm:

I see the same sort of free associating going on in this thread that you would find in any conversation.

That doesn't make it any less mundane and dorky. ;)

I'm as much a Rush geek as any of us here, but...dissecting the marketing minutiae, really?

I'm just going to go see the doc and enjoy it.

He had decided this prior to R40 - and the only way he was going on the road again would be if one of the other guys said they really wanted to and weren't sure they could ever do it at some future date due to health concerns.

Just to clarify and make sure I am not misunderstanding this, Neil said that Alex basically told him and Geddy (I'm paraphrasing this obviously) that he really wanted to do R40 primarily because if Alex didn't tour now, due to his bad arthritis, he didn't know if his health would permit him to ever tour in the future?

Correct. Neil had made up his mind to retire (in 2014) and went to YYZ to tell the others. He had, however, left a very small door open in his position. IF another one of the guys really, really wanted to tour and thought that they could not do so in the future due to health concerns. He met with Lerxst and Dirk, and Alex (without knowing it) basically said exactly what Neil was leaving as that small open door. Neil indicated he was really not happy about modifying his decision, but agreed to the tour (* though it is clear to me that Neil put every ounce of energy into making the tour as good as it could possibly be. But it was only ever going to be those 35 shows.)

The way Neil writes it does imply that Alex was significantly concerned about future touring due to his arthritis. It seemed to be a now or never proposition (in 2015.)

....which in itself is still holding the door open. If the answer was just "never touring again," THAT'S final. But to say, "OK, I'll tour now because I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to do it again" in itself implies that you're holding open the idea of future touring. I'll say it again......Neil wanted a break and was pissed because he got hurried into another nostalgia tour. Rush will at the very least make another album, and if it happens before they turn 70, I bet Neill will be up for touring in support of new material.

I appreciate your surety with regard to new material, and the possibility of future touring. I would love to hear whatever new music the three of them might create.

But I'm also perfectly happy for them if Rush is done. They've more than earned the right to treat the future however they see fit.

On Rush's website it says that the documentary will be available on Blu Ray/DVD on November 18th. Will definitely buy!

Will I be able to buy it on Rush own website?

"now or never proposition" was in reference to Neil's discussion with Al, Ged, and Ray in 2014 regarding the R40 tour. He was holding the door open in 2014 (he described as a very tiny door) - but his intention at that time was to say "never touring again." But everything after that - in his own words, and throughout the book - is definitive. He gave that one-time possibility and they took it (the R40 tour.) That's certainly not an option he is leaving on the table again.

Like you, I'm hopeful for new studio music - but honestly, after reading Neil's words, I don't think it will happen. It's not just the physical issues, or being away from home, or any of those peripheral things. He also went on about reaching the top of his mountain and feeling he can't top Clockwork Angels and that he doesn't really feel the need or desire to try. He feels he's got nothing left to prove. I also base my thought on the parallel I see between Neil and one of his drumming idols, Bill Bruford. Bill also made a retirement announcement via a book several years back. He has not touched the drums in public since. I think Neil (who has mentioned Bill's book before in utmost respect), it taking the very same approach.

Yeah, I know "never say never" and all that - but realistically, the way he states he feels now, I cannot see what would drive him to get back into drumming shape, get the band organization back together, and try to surpass what he feels is his best work.

• Like 1

Nothing like a hearty laugh to start my day! :)

Thank you, Treeduck!

Edit: I thought that was Alex that did that gnome voice, but it's Geddy.

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

I didn't hear any gnome voice in this video. :huh:

Stop being difficult!!

I don't get it. :huh:

Thank you, Treeduck!

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

Stop being difficult!!

That's because you are dense.

Thank you, Treeduck!

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

Stop being difficult!!

The only voices I heard in the video that weren't ordinary voices were the voice of "The Bag" briefly and a couple of impressions of KISS guitarist Ace Frehley.

Thank you, Treeduck!

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

Stop being difficult!!

The only voices I heard in the video that weren't ordinary voices were the voice of "The Bag" briefly and a couple of impressions of KISS guitarist Ace Frehley.

Geddy is doing the voice he used in the CA skits. Listen at about :22 - that's when you first hear it.

Thank you, Treeduck!

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

Stop being difficult!!

Geddy is doing the voice he used in the CA skits. Listen at about :22 - that's when you first hear it.

Yeah but he's doing Ace Frehley and his high pitched Bronx accent.

Thank you, Treeduck!

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

Stop being difficult!!

But that's the same voice he used here:

at 1:10 you'll hear the voice.

"now or never proposition" was in reference to Neil's discussion with Al, Ged, and Ray in 2014 regarding the R40 tour. He was holding the door open in 2014 (he described as a very tiny door) - but his intention at that time was to say "never touring again." But everything after that - in his own words, and throughout the book - is definitive. He gave that one-time possibility and they took it (the R40 tour.) That's certainly not an option he is leaving on the table again.

Like you, I'm hopeful for new studio music - but honestly, after reading Neil's words, I don't think it will happen. It's not just the physical issues, or being away from home, or any of those peripheral things. He also went on about reaching the top of his mountain and feeling he can't top Clockwork Angels and that he doesn't really feel the need or desire to try. He feels he's got nothing left to prove. I also base my thought on the parallel I see between Neil and one of his drumming idols, Bill Bruford. Bill also made a retirement announcement via a book several years back. He has not touched the drums in public since. I think Neil (who has mentioned Bill's book before in utmost respect), it taking the very same approach.

Yeah, I know "never say never" and all that - but realistically, the way he states he feels now, I cannot see what would drive him to get back into drumming shape, get the band organization back together, and try to surpass what he feels is his best work.

Can't argue with any of this, and of course from here, it all gets to whatever internal discussions the band has had, that we aren't privy to. But the analogy of Steven King "retiring" in 2002, then coming back to publish a shitload of books. When asked about this, he said, "sometimes, after you've just finished a pie-eating contest, the last thing you want to be offered is a slice of pie." I think Neil was forced into more than one of these recent tours -- and in the last 12 years, THREE of those have been "nostalgia tours," which is something Rush said they'd never do. So while I think he believed what he wrote in the book, I also think he's going to feel differently over time.

• Like 3

Thank you, Treeduck!

What gnome voice?

The one in the CA skits.

CA?

Stop being difficult!!

But that's the same voice he used here:

at 1:10 you'll hear the voice.

That's a completely different voice.

Here's the real Ace voice, although he's a bit subdued and lower pitched here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIxke0GiLAY