Rush: Time Stand Still Coming to Theaters November 3rd

EagleMoon

It's an apt title for something that is probably the end of them - Time Stand Still.

What other song have they done that conveys the same message? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any other apt song titles.

A Farewell to Kings would be both depressing and self-congratulatory! (Assuming they had any say in what the title would be)

Am I ashamed.

:facepalm:

Test For Echo would have been a good one too in a mocking sort of way.

• Like 2

It's an apt title for something that is probably the end of them - Time Stand Still.

What other song have they done that conveys the same message? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any other apt song titles.

A Farewell to Kings would be both depressing and self-congratulatory! (Assuming they had any say in what the title would be)

Am I ashamed.

Test For Echo would have been a good one too in a mocking sort of way.

Entre Nous....would have been a better title

Or Virtuality

• Like 1

I'm sad that they named this video after (imo) their worst song (and video), and their only song that was not sung entirely by Geddy. It's going to have to be extra good to overcome that. :|

I look at it this way. Regardless whether you like the song or not, it's a good choice. Why? Because it's a song the general public will recognize. It's perfect for the title to cover their career. It's not called The Spirit of Radio. ;)

I can imagine somewhere toward the end of that doc Peart coming out with the ((obvious)) revelation of "time doesn't actually stand still and life pushes us forward whether we want it to or not". I can imagine his voice saying those words. I can imagine him all but admitting that he's 100% done with Rush...though not ACTUALLY saying it. You know, typically ambiguous Peart :LOL:

• Like 3

I'm sad that they named this video after (imo) their worst song (and video), and their only song that was not sung entirely by Geddy. It's going to have to be extra good to overcome that. :|

I look at it this way. Regardless whether you like the song or not, it's a good choice. Why? Because it's a song the general public will recognize. It's perfect for the title to cover their career. It's not called The Spirit of Radio. ;)

I can imagine somewhere toward the end of that doc Peart coming out with the ((obvious)) revelation of "time doesn't actually stand still and life pushes us forward whether we want it to or not". I can imagine his voice saying those words. I can imagine him all but admitting that he's 100% done with Rush...though not ACTUALLY saying it. You know, typically ambiguous Peart :LOL:

^^Ok, so this is the last 3 minutes...what about the other 99.5% ??

What are they going to show for 2 hours that was not in BTLS or on the R40 concert DVD?

Am I the only 1 thinking about what will be in the film.

hmmm, I guess many of you wondering if this is Rush's retirement announcement, etc. haven't read Neil's latest book. I'm only half way through and he's made explicit references to being done in every chapter. So far, I see the book as a complete explanation of why this is so. He had decided this prior to R40 - and the only way he was going on the road again would be if one of the other guys said they really wanted to and weren't sure they could ever do it at some future date due to health concerns. Basically, without knowing Neil's clause, Alex said exactly what Neil needed to hear - so he reluctantly agreed to the 35 date R40 tour, and for that reason only. So, if you're really still wondering, or holding out hope, read Neil's book and you'll have a complete explanation.

(honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with Neil's book and satisfied with his reasoning. It makes sense and I've come to terms with it. lol)

It'll be interesting to see how this is portrayed in the doc film vs. Neil's book.

• Like 4

What are they going to show for 2 hours that was not in BTLS or on the R40 concert DVD?

I feel the same way. I feels like a waste of time since the band is done.

Unless this is to set up a transition of some kind - Neil out, new guy in...

hmmm, I guess many of you wondering if this is Rush's retirement announcement, etc. haven't read Neil's latest book. I'm only half way through and he's made explicit references to being done in every chapter. So far, I see the book as a complete explanation of why this is so. He had decided this prior to R40 - and the only way he was going on the road again would be if one of the other guys said they really wanted to and weren't sure they could ever do it at some future date due to health concerns. Basically, without knowing Neil's clause, Alex said exactly what Neil needed to hear - so he reluctantly agreed to the 35 date R40 tour, and for that reason only. So, if you're really still wondering, or holding out hope, read Neil's book and you'll have a complete explanation.

(honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with Neil's book and satisfied with his reasoning. It makes sense and I've come to terms with it. lol)

It'll be interesting to see how this is portrayed in the doc film vs. Neil's book.

I'm neither wondering if Peart's done nor holding out hope that he'll make more music. And reading chapter after chapter with him coming to a decision about retiring doesn't sound that interesting to me. Health issues, ok. The drive to do it isn't there anymore, ok.

I've got Peart's first four books and thought the first two were interesting enough, the third not so much, and the fourth I just stopped reading because I was a bit bored.

• Like 1

Rush has never put their future out on the table so cut and dried. They're not going to start now with THAT kind of transition of Peart out, new guy in. No way.

• Like 3

He had decided this prior to R40 - and the only way he was going on the road again would be if one of the other guys said they really wanted to and weren't sure they could ever do it at some future date due to health concerns.

Just to clarify and make sure I am not misunderstanding this, Neil said that Alex basically told him and Geddy (I'm paraphrasing this obviously) that he really wanted to do R40 primarily because if Alex didn't tour now, due to his bad arthritis, he didn't know if his health would permit him to ever tour in the future?

Rush has never put their future out on the table so cut and dried. They're not going to start now with THAT kind of transition of Peart out, new guy in. No way.

Then what's the point of all this. We just saw the release of an R40 video. It'll be good if there is some substantial content. It can't just be a maudlin sendoff.

Edited by chemistry1973

Do I look like Madam Ruby to you? ;)

I haven't seen the R40 concert DVD so I can't comment on that.

Also, since I KNOW this new doc won't be shown in this country, I'm not wondering ((too much)) what's in it. Why torture myself?

Consistent lack of access has made me more patient with this kind of stuff. I'll have to wait for the DVD/blu-Ray.

• Like 2

Then what's the point of all this. We just an R40 video. It'll be good if there is some substantial content. It can't just be a maudlin sendoff.

MONEY is always a point.

• Like 2

If anyone can sense a cash grab it's a Rush fan.

There has to be interesting content or the bad word of mouth from the movie will hurt their sales.

There doesn't have to be anything. You just hope there will be interesting new content.

Rush fans will see this no matter what at some point. It's a documentary on Rush. How bad could it possibly be?

• Like 2

He had decided this prior to R40 - and the only way he was going on the road again would be if one of the other guys said they really wanted to and weren't sure they could ever do it at some future date due to health concerns.

Just to clarify and make sure I am not misunderstanding this, Neil said that Alex basically told him and Geddy (I'm paraphrasing this obviously) that he really wanted to do R40 primarily because if Alex didn't tour now, due to his bad arthritis, he didn't know if his health would permit him to ever tour in the future?

Correct. Neil had made up his mind to retire (in 2014) and went to YYZ to tell the others. He had, however, left a very small door open in his position. IF another one of the guys really, really wanted to tour and thought that they could not do so in the future due to health concerns. He met with Lerxst and Dirk, and Alex (without knowing it) basically said exactly what Neil was leaving as that small open door. Neil indicated he was really not happy about modifying his decision, but agreed to the tour (* though it is clear to me that Neil put every ounce of energy into making the tour as good as it could possibly be. But it was only ever going to be those 35 shows.)

The way Neil writes it does imply that Alex was significantly concerned about future touring due to his arthritis. It seemed to be a now or never proposition (in 2015.)

• Like 2

I'm neither wondering if Peart's done nor holding out hope that he'll make more music. And reading chapter after chapter with him coming to a decision about retiring doesn't sound that interesting to me. Health issues, ok. The drive to do it isn't there anymore, ok.

I've got Peart's first four books and thought the first two were interesting enough, the third not so much, and the fourth I just stopped reading because I was a bit bored.

To be honest, I had given up on Neil's books too. I wasn't even going to buy this one (I didn't buy the one before this; rehashed web-stories.) However, I have been really surprised at this book. IMO, it is probably his best book and is precisely what I needed as a life-long Rush fanatic (fan boi?), and as a drummer first inspired by the man in the early 80's and someone who dissected every twist and turn of his playing, to understand how he came to this decision. It is much more personal that any of his last three/four (perhaps not as deep as Ghost Rider or Travelling Music, but more direct and accessible.) Also, from what I've read so far, it's not so much about health issues, or drive (though both were part), but much more with his daughter. I don't agree with everything he writes, but it is honest.

It is probably the closest thing we'll get to a retirement statement - in a form of a couple hundred pages.

• Like 1

If anyone can sense a cash grab it's a Rush fan.

There has to be interesting content or the bad word of mouth from the movie will hurt their sales.

There doesn't have to be anything. You just hope there will be interesting new content.

Rush fans will see this no matter what at some point. It's a documentary on Rush. How bad could it possibly be?

Yes of course I'll check it out but I'm cynical at this point. How emphatic does NP have to be that he his done? If there is no indication of further music making, what would the point of this endeavor be?

We've already had the love letter to fans- that's BTS. We have R40. We have a NP penned book describing why he split.

It's feeling contrived if anything.

Of course I love being the hypocrite.

Thanks Rush Forum!

Just bought two tickets to see the film.

I saw Beyond The Lighted Stage in the theater.

I had to keep the tradition alive.

Heck I even saw "RUSH IN RIO" in the theater.

The Trifecta.

Hey Earl, are you going to the showing in Walnut Creek? I was thinking of going to that one, and dragging Mike along.

Yes!!!

Gina! I am going to the Walnut Creek show!!!

Let's meet up for dinner and drinks!

• Like 1

Of course I love being the hypocrite.

Thanks Rush Forum!

Just bought two tickets to see the film.

I saw Beyond The Lighted Stage in the theater.

I had to keep the tradition alive.

Heck I even saw "RUSH IN RIO" in the theater.

The Trifecta.

Hey Earl, are you going to the showing in Walnut Creek? I was thinking of going to that one, and dragging Mike along.

Yes!!!

Gina! I am going to the Walnut Creek show!!!

Let's meet up for dinner and drinks!

Sounds good!

Recognize?? Or do you mean identify with? I'll lay $100 down right now that if you went to 100 random people in the street and played the song to them you wouldn't get more than 5 people who recognized the actual song.

No, I meant the general public that even knows who Rush are. They may know the radio hits but that's all.

He'll praddle on and on for about 15 minutes not really saying anything but using a lot of descriptive words.

• Like 1

Wow...gotta say, I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) by all the bandwidth that's been taken up in this thread with discussing the merits of the title of a documentary.

How very 'internet' of all of you!