WHAT IF: Geddy had joined Metallica in 1987...

fraroc

Predictability is what makes things suck

J-pop idol groups. Can't get any formulaic than that. You may like it and that's fine but no music is more predictable than what comes from J-pop idol groups....except for maybe Japanese enka.

Completely disagree

Momoiro Clover is very unpredictable

And AKB's Majisuka Gauken series came completely out of left field .. What other pop group has a TV series that is the equivalent of a hard "R" because of violence ??

Heck, even Miku has a seriously depressing song about committing suicide now

Jpop 1 JB 0

You come out here and watch Japanese tv for a week. See what j-pop idol groups they show. See the predictability.

not expected

http://stage48.net/wiki/images/thumb/2/24/MatsuiRena2008.jpg/173px-MatsuiRena2008.jpg

http://s26.postimg.org/jffzusgah/gekikara6.gif

Violence in entertainment?

In Japan?

Gore marketed at teens?

In Japan?

Unpredictable? I don't even play that rubbish or watch much Japanese stuff and already I feel it's both predictable and representative of everything I have ever known about Japanese entertainment.

Honestly Lucas it really isn't great. The DVD shelves in foreign movie sections are littered with crap like this and innocent pop with brutality? Rihanna did it last year far more effectively, Lady Gaga a few year's back. And they ain't Japanese.

Honestly you love this stuff but none of it is remotely surprising or leftfield. If it came from America you'd label it all kinds of wrong.

It's not better just because it comes from a different culture. It's garbage just like the state of modern US pop.

What if Lars ulrich joined rush in 2017?

If they kept the Rush name, TRFers would bitch.

If they didn't keep the Rush name, TRFers would bitch AFTER the music was heard.

If they didn't keep the Rush name, TRFers would still bitch even if they didn't hear the music.

TRFers would bitch about Peart in some capacity saying that it's his fault for the Lee-Lifeson-Ulrich collaboration.

Then there's the bitching about the bitching to consider.

The bitching would start in 2017 and continue as long as the board existed.

:)

• Like 2

If they didn't keep the Rush name, TRFers would bitch AFTER the music was heard.

If they didn't keep the Rush name, TRFers would still bitch even if they didn't hear the music.

TRFers would bitch about Peart in some capacity saying that it's his fault for the Lee-Lifeson-Ulrich collaboration.

Don't forget the drummers bitching.

• Like 1

Don't forget the drummers bitching.

Thought that was a given. :LOL:

It's a bit like saying what if you went to a meet and greet and walked in on Geddy banging a Peart groupie behind Neil's back...and the groupie was Lars Ulrich!

:spitwater:

I just spat out my coffee...excuse me while I get a cloth

J-pop idol groups. Can't get any formulaic than that. You may like it and that's fine but no music is more predictable than what comes from J-pop idol groups....except for maybe Japanese enka.

Completely disagree

And AKB's Majisuka Gauken series came completely out of left field .. What other pop group has a TV series that is the equivalent of a hard "R" because of violence ??

Jpop 1 JB 0

You come out here and watch Japanese tv for a week. See what j-pop idol groups they show. See the predictability.

not expected

http://stage48.net/wiki/images/thumb/2/24/MatsuiRena2008.jpg/173px-MatsuiRena2008.jpg

In Japan?

Gore marketed at teens?

In Japan?

Unpredictable? I don't even play that rubbish or watch much Japanese stuff and already I feel it's both predictable and representative of everything I have ever known about Japanese entertainment.

Honestly Lucas it really isn't great. The DVD shelves in foreign movie sections are littered with crap like this and innocent pop with brutality? Rihanna did it last year far more effectively, Lady Gaga a few year's back. And they ain't Japanese.

Honestly you love this stuff but none of it is remotely surprising or leftfield. If it came from America you'd label it all kinds of wrong.

It's not better just because it comes from a different culture. It's garbage just like the state of modern US pop.

Segue, I think it is best to take everything in life on a case by case basis ... I love Majisuka Gauken and I would wager that you have never even seen an episode .. Even if you had, it still doesn't change the fact that I like it, and I like it because of who is in it -

It might be convenient to simply lump things into comfortable categories - whether it be hair bands, other cultures, entire countries or people who choose not to eat meat - it seems like an unfortunate flaw in human nature to want to put things neatly in containers on a shelf ...

In the case of entertainment - because after all, that is all this really is - Rush, Mahavishnu Orchestra, AKB48 - it is simply there for me ( or anyone else ) to provide some fun and positive reaction ..

You simply cannot compare performers, as they all bring something different to the table

I like Lady Gaga ... I don't like Rihanna .. I love vocals, whether it be ABBA, Hildegard von Bingen, Jon Anderson, Earth Wind & Fire ..

Regardless, if you listen to this and come back to tell me it is rubbish, we would just have to disagree, because this song is right up there with ABBA as far as how the vocals move me ..

You've got an open mind Segue, just listen and tell me that it is crap

( song starts @ 1:50 )

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/AKB48---Sakura-no-Shiori/eb11643f95924b1e9ce3b5a93d6c93ff

(

I thinK Geddy and James probably would have gotten along fine because they are both rather creative and really driven. Lars, well even his dog hates him. I doubt James would have ever asked Geddy to join unless it were years later while Rush was on hiatus. I also doubt Geddy would have joined. Again, maybe if it was during that five year wasteland when there was no Rush, maybe Geddy would have toured with them. He seems to love performing and money, so that I could see happening.

As far as Geddys style and sound go, he uses his sound to punch through the other frequencies. He'd obviously have to change that for Metallica, but I don't know how much you'd have ever heard him. The bass on their music is generally quieted. You'd never know this,but Robert is an amazing bassist and plays a beautiful classical guitar/Spanish guitar. His talents have really been wasted there and suicidal tendencies.

Completely disagree

Jpop 1 JB 0

not expected

In Japan?

Gore marketed at teens?

In Japan?

Segue, I think it is best to take everything in life on a case by case basis ... I love Majisuka Gauken and I would wager that you have never even seen an episode .. Even if you had, it still doesn't change the fact that I like it, and I like it because of who is in it -

It might be convenient to simply lump things into comfortable categories - whether it be hair bands, other cultures, entire countries or people who choose not to eat meat - it seems like an unfortunate flaw in human nature to want to put things neatly in containers on a shelf ...

In the case of entertainment - because after all, that is all this really is - Rush, Mahavishnu Orchestra, AKB48 - it is simply there for me ( or anyone else ) to provide some fun and positive reaction ..

You simply cannot compare performers, as they all bring something different to the table

I like Lady Gaga ... I don't like Rihanna .. I love vocals, whether it be ABBA, Hildegard von Bingen, Jon Anderson, Earth Wind & Fire ..

Regardless, if you listen to this and come back to tell me it is rubbish, we would just have to disagree, because this song is right up there with ABBA as far as how the vocals move me ..

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/AKB48---Sakura-no-Shiori/eb11643f95924b1e9ce3b5a93d6c93ff

(

I didn't mean it is rubbish I'm the sense it is refuse...after all I just mentioned Lady Gaga and Rihanna and praise them as you do J-pop!

But I also don't think I can comprehend your argument that any of this is special outside of personal attachment.

But yeah my tone left a lot to be desired. If we spoke in person it wouldn't have come off as it does in writing.

• Like 1

Completely disagree

Jpop 1 JB 0

not expected

In Japan?

Gore marketed at teens?

In Japan?

(

I didn't mean it is rubbish I'm the sense it is refuse...after all I just mentioned Lady Gaga and Rihanna and praise them as you do J-pop!

But I also don't think I can comprehend your argument that any of this is special outside of personal attachment.

But yeah my tone left a lot to be desired. If we spoke in person it wouldn't have come off as it does in writing.

To be specific, I'm only talking about j-pop idol groups, NOT the entire genre of j-pop.

J-pop idol groups are created by agencies (I don't know one that wasn't) that search for "talents" that can sing, dance, and are physically attractive. Do any of those idol performers write any of their musicK? With JUST j-pop artists, they don't necessarily have to be able to dance or be good looking.

And to see idols in the context of how it's presented IN Japan on a daily basis is different thing from how the west sees it ((that is, it's a million times worse here)

Completely disagree

Jpop 1 JB 0

not expected

In Japan?

Gore marketed at teens?

In Japan?

(

To be specific, I'm only talking about j-pop idol groups, NOT the entire genre of j-pop.

J-pop idol groups are created by agencies (I don't know one that wasn't) that search for "talents" that can sing, dance, and are physically attractive. Do any of those idol performers write any of their musicK? With JUST j-pop artists, they don't necessarily have to be able to dance or be good looking.

And to see idols in the context of how it's presented IN Japan on a daily basis is different thing from how the west sees it ((that is, it's a million times worse here)

http://66.media.tumblr.com/aa9fcb18d884c350430d552a60569aee/tumblr_o64b62Vsff1smsmqro1_500.gif

http://www.blabbermo...-puppets-album/

You guys have probably all seen this, but basically, Geddy Lee almost was the one to produce Metallica's third album, Master Of Puppets in 1986 while the band was on tour promoting Power Windows....Sadly, 1986 was the same year where tragically, Cliff Burton lost his life in the bus crash...This leads me to ask a very interesting question...What if Metallica was never introduced to Jason Newsted and instead, decided to recruit none other than Geddy Lee to take Cliff's place?

For starters, they probably would have not been satisfied with the poppy and twangy sound of the Wal bass that he was playing at that time and probably would have made him play the Rickenbacker or the Jazz bass. I honestly would not be able to imagine One being played with a bass tone that was similar to the Wal.

Geddy never would have joined but do you know who tried out for METALLICA after Burton passed away???

LES CLAYPOOL!

He was too eclectic for them.

Obviously.

You guys have probably all seen this, but basically, Geddy Lee almost was the one to produce Metallica's third album, Master Of Puppets in 1986 while the band was on tour promoting Power Windows....Sadly, 1986 was the same year where tragically, Cliff Burton lost his life in the bus crash...This leads me to ask a very interesting question...What if Metallica was never introduced to Jason Newsted and instead, decided to recruit none other than Geddy Lee to take Cliff's place?

For starters, they probably would have not been satisfied with the poppy and twangy sound of the Wal bass that he was playing at that time and probably would have made him play the Rickenbacker or the Jazz bass. I honestly would not be able to imagine One being played with a bass tone that was similar to the Wal.

Geddy never would have joined but do you know who tried out for METALLICA after Burton passed away???

LES CLAYPOOL!

Obviously.

Didn't Claypool used to play an upright, electric bass? Or was I just in such an...ahem...weird state of mind when I saw them open for Rush on the Presto tour that I imagined it?

LES CLAYPOOL!

Obviously.

Didn't Claypool used to play an upright, electric bass? Or was I just in such an...ahem...weird state of mind when I saw them open for Rush on the Presto tour that I imagined it?

YES!