Alex says, "Rush Can't Just Stop"

Ron2112

Good news (first) is that I did get a jump on traffic and caught the ferry on time!

I've done it several times in recent years if I was seeing more than one show.

SnA I left Madison Square Garden around Distant Early Warning to catch an earlier train out of Grand Central

Time Machine I left Mohegan Sun at the encore to best traffic (worst encore ever anyway), even though I was only staying a mile away.

CA I left at the encore to beat the traffic out of the SPAC in Saratoga.

In two of those 3 tours at the Salt Lake City show I eventually got T-shirts from Alex and Neil's cannon, and nearly got two at each of them! After I'd gotten my shirt, a second one landed close enough that the people who got them either fell into me or by my feet. I gave both shirts away eventually without wearing them.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

I think he's just talking about being a musician in general. I'm sure they're working on stuff at home, and playing for their own enjoyment. Doesn't mean they're going to do anything as a band again. A lot can be read into ambiguous statements like that.

I can't believe that anyone here would want them to turn into another greatest hits band.

I think a lot of people here would love to see them make jokes of themselves like the 1/2Who and the Stones.
  • Like 1

Good news (first) is that I did get a jump on traffic and caught the ferry on time!

I've done it several times in recent years if I was seeing more than one show.

SnA I left Madison Square Garden around Distant Early Warning to catch an earlier train out of Grand Central

Time Machine I left Mohegan Sun at the encore to best traffic (worst encore ever anyway), even though I was only staying a mile away.

CA I left at the encore to beat the traffic out of the SPAC in Saratoga.

In two of those 3 tours at the Salt Lake City show I eventually got T-shirts from Alex and Neil's cannon, and nearly got two at each of them! After I'd gotten my shirt, a second one landed close enough that the people who got them either fell into me or by my feet. I gave both shirts away eventually without wearing them.

Granted I don't need to be at the office the next morning but I stay late letting the crowd exit the arena.

I'm actually fine with replacing Peart and calling it Rush as well, because Peart's the one who quit.

That being said, it would be a terrible mistake because a great deal of people would feel the name was sullied.

Most importantly, no drummer, even one who is Peart's equal, can win that battle. The criticism would be unbearable. And obviously, Rutsey not withstanding, the Rush sound has Peart's DNA all over it, so it really would be a different band. So while it wouldn't bother me, it also wouldn't be as genuine.

Two words...Chris Pine.

Two more words...The Shat.

No one but The Shat could play James T Kirk yet we have Chris Pine pulling it off.

DO I DARE ASK...THE QUESTION???

HELL TO THE F-PHIN YEAH...ITS FRIDAY!

...is there a youngish very talented drummer who is masterful writing lyrics?

CALL IT :rush: BABY!

If they tour I'll buy a ticket.

I sat through that first movie under duress. No 'effin way would I sit through another. But that's a totally different thing which I don't have to be involved with.

As far as "Rush" goes, the point is moot and has been for a long time.

This thread has been fooling me for the last few days.

From the main page, all I can see is: Alex says, "Rush Can...

then I clicked on it and saw the words Just Stop

I didn't notice the apostrophe T until just now...so for the last few days I thought this thread was called Alex says, "Rush Can Just Stop"

Anyway...I've made my statement...you may now carry on

• Like 1

This thread has been fooling me for the last few days.

From the main page, all I can see is: Alex says, "Rush Can...

then I clicked on it and saw the words Just Stop

I didn't notice the apostrophe T until just now...so for the last few days I thought this thread was called Alex says, "Rush Can Just Stop"

Anyway...I've made my statement...you may now carry on

I was going to reply sooner but I was fooled...I thought your last sentence said "You may not carry on"

• Like 2

I predict another studio slbum but no major touring.

^^^ This

How about MINOR touring? And what does "minor" touring even mean to you? These are questions for both of you guys or anyone really

To me, "minor touring" = residency but I really don't think even that will happen. I do believe they will release some new music as Rush in one form or another.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 1

BFD-gui.jpg

Get Down with Rush's Drummer!

Note: This version of Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit is formatted for FXpansion's BFD. For the Infinite Player version, click here.

For Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit, Sonic Reality set renowned engineer and producer Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains) loose to record authentic samples of Peart's Drum Workshop Signature "Snakes and Arrows" kit. What they got in return was a collection of amazing multitrack drum kit sounds that capture the essence of Neil Peart's kit. Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit lets keyboardists and e-drummers have access to the signature sound of one of the most widely respected drummers of all time, right in FXpansion's BFD environment. Call today and get Neil Peart's sound with Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit.Sonic Reality Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit Features at a Glance:

• For FXpansion's BFD
  • Recorded and engineered by producer Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains)
  • Multitrack kit of Neil Peart's Drum Workshop Signature "Snakes and Arrows" kit
  • Perfect for keyboardists and e-drummers

The sound of one of Rock's most respected drummers with Sonic Reality Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

BFD-gui.jpg

Note: This version of Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit is formatted for FXpansion's BFD. For the Infinite Player version, click here.

For Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit, Sonic Reality set renowned engineer and producer Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains) loose to record authentic samples of Peart's Drum Workshop Signature "Snakes and Arrows" kit. What they got in return was a collection of amazing multitrack drum kit sounds that capture the essence of Neil Peart's kit. Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit lets keyboardists and e-drummers have access to the signature sound of one of the most widely respected drummers of all time, right in FXpansion's BFD environment. Call today and get Neil Peart's sound with Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit.Sonic Reality Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit Features at a Glance:

• For FXpansion's BFD
  • Recorded and engineered by producer Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains)
  • Multitrack kit of Neil Peart's Drum Workshop Signature "Snakes and Arrows" kit

The sound of one of Rock's most respected drummers with Sonic Reality Neil Peart Drums, Vol 1: The Kit!

I'd love to mess around with that.

BFD-gui.jpg

• For FXpansion's BFD

I'd love to mess around with that.

Get it down and you're hired!

• Like 1

wouldnt it be possible for Neil to continue writing the lyrics while a new drummer takes over. in that way there'd be more of an argument for the band to continue being Rush. would work for me, I'd take it

wouldnt it be possible for Neil to continue writing the lyrics while a new drummer takes over. in that way there'd be more of an argument for the band to continue being Rush. would work for me, I'd take it

I know you're not alone in that...but I can't imagine that Ged and Al would still call it Rush if Neil wasn't with them. I suppose anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised by that.

And I don't think I'd go.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

He's mentioned many times how closely connected the lyrics are to the drumming itself. I don't see this happening

• Like 1

Geddy and Alex have repeatedly said "they" will produce more music. But having gotten nothing similar from Neil, and in fact plenty of indication that he's retired completely, and considering that producing music without touring probably doesn't make financial sense nor would it provide Geddy and Alex what they really enjoy -- my guess is that Geddy and Alex will write some songs, maybe not produce an actual album, pick some musicians and tour. I don't think it will be a new band at all, but they may give it a name, even if it's just "Lifeson and Lee". They could do the new songs, a few of their previous solo songs, some covers from "Feedback" and maybe some Rush tunes with Neils ok. Personally, I would prefer they leave Rush songs out, but Debut Album songs and just for fun, Fancy Dancer would be just fine with me. Geddy's voice is understandably not what it used to be, but the boy can rip it on the Bass, so I'd love new instrumentals.

If they are reading this - my suggestion would be alternating emphasis on each of them - like Geddy rips it up on bass with Alex backing and vice versa. Drums can take a backseat and probably should. Just my old fan opinion on the matter. :) :codger:

• Like 1

I know you're not alone in that...but I can't imagine that Ged and Al would still call it Rush if Neil wasn't with them. I suppose anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised by that.

And I don't think I'd go.

If the right situation presented it self like a reasonable cover charge, in a decent neighborhood and I didn't have to get up early for work, I'd go see a good Rush cover band. Why wouldn't I go see what is proposed above in the right situation?

H O L O G R A M P E A R T I S T H E O N L Y S O L U T I O N ! ! ! ! !

You may be serious, you may be joking but I have floated that idea. In fact Trump like I will claim to have floated that idea first. I'd go see that show!

H O L O G R A M P E A R T I S T H E O N L Y S O L U T I O N ! ! ! ! !

Nah, people would see right through that.

Ba-dum-dum.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

Geddy and Alex have repeatedly said "they" will produce more music. But having gotten nothing similar from Neil, and in fact plenty of indication that he's retired completely, and considering that producing music without touring probably doesn't make financial sense nor would it provide Geddy and Alex what they really enjoy -- my guess is that Geddy and Alex will write some songs, maybe not produce an actual album, pick some musicians and tour. I don't think it will be a new band at all, but they may give it a name, even if it's just "Lifeson and Lee". They could do the new songs, a few of their previous solo songs, some covers from "Feedback" and maybe some Rush tunes with Neils ok. Personally, I would prefer they leave Rush songs out, but Debut Album songs and just for fun, Fancy Dancer would be just fine with me. Geddy's voice is understandably not what it used to be, but the boy can rip it on the Bass, so I'd love new instrumentals.

If they are reading this - my suggestion would be alternating emphasis on each of them - like Geddy rips it up on bass with Alex backing and vice versa. Drums can take a backseat and probably should. Just my old fan opinion on the matter. :) :codger:

Why the freaking hell would they need Neil's ok to play Rush tunes without him? They would need his ok to call it Rush, because of his equal partnership in the business aspects (see Styx and Cheap Trick). But the pissy old bastard already held the band hostage once. There's no need to let him do it again.

Edited by edhunter