Why does Hollywood make terrible movies?

workingcinderellaman

Because you have no talent morons trying to restage classics.(e.g. Ben-Hur, Ghostbusters, The Magnificent Seven, the upcoming Death Wish, etc.)

This has been going on for quite awhile now dating back to the late '90s when Psycho was remade (and that was a failure in and of itself) but I do take your point. I think it's becoming a huge problem now.

Remakes go back way before the 90's. Hitchcock even remade his own film! BuI agree that Hollywood is in a rut when it comes to lazy film making. Even heady films with good scripts are horribly produced and edited, it seems. :(

Because you have no talent morons trying to restage classics.(e.g. Ben-Hur, Ghostbusters, The Magnificent Seven, the upcoming Death Wish, etc.)

This has been going on for quite awhile now dating back to the late '90s when Psycho was remade (and that was a failure in and of itself) but I do take your point. I think it's becoming a huge problem now.

Remakes go back way before the 90's. Hitchcock even remade his own film! BuI agree that Hollywood is in a rut when it comes to lazy film making. Even heady films with good scripts are horribly produced and edited, it seems. :(

Yes they do. It's funny that the movie Ben Hur was mentioned in the earlier post.

Remakes and sequels are as old as Hollywood.

I don't have a problem with remakes or sequels if they're good. Just because something is a remake doesn't automatically mean it's going to be bad or that the screenplay writer was lazy. Remakes can be much better than the original. Of course, that's much harder to accomplish if the original was a great movie.

Yes they do. It's funny that the movie Ben Hur was mentioned in the earlier post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmXkN8VNTnc

I don't have a problem with remakes or sequels if they're good. Just because something is a remake doesn't automatically mean it's going to be bad or that the screenplay writer was lazy. Remakes can be much better than the original. Of course, that's much harder to accomplish if the original was a great movie.

The Coen Brother's True Grit blows the original away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmXkN8VNTnc

The Coen Brother's True Grit blows the original away.

I think so too...but I'm biased to start with as I dislike John Wayne as much as I like The Dude.

Let's not forget that they can write off losses against tax.

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD Writers:

Hurricane Matthew moving NW with 145 mph winds.

Looks like it will pass directly over Guantanamo Bay , Cuba. ...I smell a script in here somewhere.......

Michael Bay you on TRF tonight?? This is right up your crappy alley

What if it's not a real hurricane but is really a hurricane made by aliens to allow easy takeover of gitmo?

Then it'd have a better plot than all of Michael Bay's other movies

I forgot to mention the exploding sharks.

• Like 2

What if it's not a real hurricane but is really a hurricane made by aliens to allow easy takeover of gitmo?

Then it'd have a better plot than all of Michael Bay's other movies

I forgot to mention the exploding sharks.

Well, they couldn't hurt a Bay flick that's for sure

• Like 1

I came across this entertaining video that got me thinking about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk-pAlWnvDM

I think this is a great subject because it boggles the mind at some of the crap that ends up on the big screen. I wonder what the actors making the movie are thinking while filming it. They have to know it's a big stinking pile of crap while making it. But when the actors go on their late night tours, they make the lies convincing about how wonderful or artistic their movie is. They have to know better.

I know much of the reasoning behind why bad movies get made. Many bad movies get made because of the way Hollywood movies are financed. Financial institutions that give out loans to movie production want guarantees on their investment. It can be calculated how well a sequel will do at the box office no matter how bad it is based off the original's performance. This is why we see so many sequels. Good or bad, they will make money.

This same reasoning applies to hit novels, comic books, and even remakes of old hit movies.

If a project has some historic success behind it, then it can be presented to the guys who write the loan checks as a safe investment.

Another financially driven process in movie making is copying a formula of a recent blockbuster. The problem with this is that Hollywood typically doesn't understand why the original movie was successful so the formula they copy doesn't work. This is why Hollywood isn't creative. Creativity is financially risky.

I get all of this. What I don't get is that a lot of the movies that are made that follow one of these financially- sound models are really bad, which is something that Hollywood doesn't seem to think matters. The one thing that the vast majority of box-office disasters have in common is that they genuinely suck.

:goodone:

When investor expect something about their money in return, they choose everything. They may decide directors, writers, the cast and other things.

Directors know investor, that know actors and they get together, and have parties and everything else that connects them and they all work together and such.

Most part of the time it works like this.

There are few exceptions, I think.

Independant movies, people who choose to work differently and try few alternative projects.

When it's about popular culture, I prefer the B-Side of certain things.

Writers Don't Come Up With the Ideas

"There are no original ideas! Look at the top-grossing 25 films of the 2000s -- 23 were remakes or adaptations! How lazy can these writers get?"

I don't think it's the writers. It's the ones paying the writers.

:yes: I'm sure there are thousands of excellent scrips floating around that no one wants to risk putting money into them.
  • Like 2