Rushcon anyone?

Laurabw

As much as I'm rah-rah-rah-ing it, I'm not able to go either. In my case I'm starting a new job mid-october and don't feel it'd look very good if I already requested time off, and don't really feel justified in delaying start by three weeks. That probably wouldn't go over very well either. Ah well...we can hope it's not the last one. Those that can go though (and have never been) should, because it's really fun!
  • Like 1

As much as I'm rah-rah-rah-ing it, I'm not able to go either. In my case I'm starting a new job mid-october and don't feel it'd look very good if I already requested time off, and don't really feel justified in delaying start by three weeks. That probably wouldn't go over very well either. Ah well...we can hope it's not the last one. Those that can go though (and have never been) should, because it's really fun!

That's too bad, but a jobs a job.

• Like 1

That's too bad, but a jobs a job.

That's sure true.

Congrats on your new job! If a person is going to have to miss Rushcon then I say that's at least a positive reason for doing so. :)

• Like 3

No way will this year's be the last. I'd bet money on it.

• Like 2

They don't say on the Rushcon site that it will be the last one. They said it will be the last one "for a while".

• Like 2

They don't say on the Rushcon site that it will be the last one. They said it will be the last one "for a while".

Oh no. Didn't see that.

That's good info though for those on the fence.

• Like 4

I'll be in Toronto from November 2nd to November 7th. I'll probably be leaving early in the morning on the 7th though. If anyone has advice or is able to help me with money, plane tickets, etc, then let me know lol.

I will be there. Anybody else from Detroit want to take the train out of Windsor with me?

Rock on!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202013%20Hamilton%20ONT%20%206%20July/IMG_3896_zpsda86ab6b.jpg

• Like 2

I reserved my room but haven't bought the plane ticket yet because I am on the fence. I would like to go but feel weird because this being my first time out of the States, I am hesitant to go by myself. There are currency issues to consider and I am sure other things that might be helpful to have someone with me who already knows the ropes, so to speak....we'll see though....
  • Like 2

Oh no. Didn't see that.

That's good info though for those on the fence.

I know people who put on Cons, not an easy way to generate $$ after expenses.

I hope this survives

I reserved my room but haven't bought the plane ticket yet because I am on the fence. I would like to go but feel weird because this being my first time out of the States, I am hesitant to go by myself. There are currency issues to consider and I am sure other things that might be helpful to have someone with me who already knows the ropes, so to speak....we'll see though....

Gas is by the liter...so if you rent a car, and see $1.22...thats per liter...not gallons.

Loonie = $1 coin/ Toonie = $2 coin....., No 1 or 2 dollar bill

Tim Hortons is Donuts and coffee..they are everywhere

• Like 2

Gas is by the liter...so if you rent a car, and see $1.22...thats per liter...not gallons.

I have heard people from the US will just use credit cards up there to pay for everything so they don't get screwed on exchange rates...but with cell phones, what happens? You get hit with international roaming charges or something like that? That kind of sucks.

• Like 1

I have heard people from the US will just use credit cards up there to pay for everything so they don't get screwed on exchange rates...but with cell phones, what happens? You get hit with international roaming charges or something like that? That kind of sucks.

Call your cell provider and set up "international" calling & messaging for Canada about a week before you will be across the border. You might pay an extra few bucks to them but that's much less than the per-minute charges that the Canadian cell carriers will charge you. They pick up on your signal and welcome you to their coverage area even before you cross. I used to live about 2 miles from the river and my cell would announce my "welcome to Canada" at least a couple of times per day when I was at home.

Xanadu, if you can get to Detroit, we can take the train out of Windsor on Thursday. It's a 4 hour ride and about US$100 for the round-trip. The YYZ station is about 1.5 miles from the hotel so I plan to walk once I arrive in Toronto. I hope you make the trip. This will be my fourth RushCon and I've had a grand time each time...always well worth the trip, eh!

Rock on!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202013%20Hamilton%20ONT%20%206%20July/IMG_3890_zpsc723ee85.jpg

Edited by Huge Ackman

Canada is really similar to the USA, except most people will say "sorry" a lot. :LOL:

If you're using a credit card, the bank will take care of the exchange and when you get your statement, your bill will be in US dollars.

If you bring cash, I'm sure there is a money exchange at the airport for you to get some cash. I would guess that 100 USD will probably get you about 130 Can dollars, give or take the fees for the exchange, but don't exchange too much, because if you go back and exchange your Canadian for USD the difference will likely be a net loss - 130.00 Canadian dollars will allow you to buy 95.00 USD.

My first RC I went by myself - you won't be alone for long. (Barney Rebel showed me the ropes!) Most people are so very friendly - and go to the mixer, a little liquid courage, and you're going to have all kinds of friends to hang with.

Don't be shocked by our 13% sales tax, and extraordinary liquor prices -

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Canada is really similar to the USA, except most people will say "sorry" a lot. :LOL:

If you're using a credit card, the bank will take care of the exchange and when you get your statement, your bill will be in US dollars.

If you bring cash, I'm sure there is a money exchange at the airport for you to get some cash. I would guess that 100 USD will probably get you about 130 Can dollars, give or take the fees for the exchange, but don't exchange too much, because if you go back and exchange your Canadian for USD the difference will likely be a net loss - 130.00 Canadian dollars will allow you to buy 95.00 USD.

My first RC I went by myself - you won't be alone for long. (Barney Rebel showed me the ropes!) Most people are so very friendly - and go to the mixer, a little liquid courage, and you're going to have all kinds of friends to hang with.

When are you coming to Duckcon Sunny?? :16ton:

• Like 1

Tell me about Duckcon, Patrick.

Tell me about Duckcon, Patrick.

It's like RUSHCON only there's many many ducks instead. :LOL: :smoke:

• Like 3

Actually, don't even bother exchanging money. Just take it out at a Canadian ATM.

I've never been to one, and I have to say, it's something I'd love to do. I hope I'll be able to make it happen sometime.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Another amazing time with fantastic people :heart: I haven't made it since 06, and the love was there from the minute we arrived (Baskin with the Biggest (Lift me off the floor) hug of the weekend!)

We couldn't get there for the entire thing, but we made it up for Saturday - the tour at Anthem (Epic FTW) and for the tribute band (Lotus Land) at the Hard Rock

Good Times

• Like 5

I never made it out for a Rushcon. I kinda always considered every tour a Rush convention of sorts. I hope they one day decide to do another one. I think now that they don't tour....it is even more meaningful IMO.

So hopefully it lives on, post Rush. Because the band is now officially over. But we still listen and love the music. Even more reason to get together to celebrate our joy for their music.

Here is hoping I make it out to a future RushCon to meet some of you.

• Like 2

I never made it out for a Rushcon. I kinda always considered every tour a Rush convention of sorts. I hope they one day decide to do another one. I think now that they don't tour....it is even more meaningful IMO.

So hopefully it lives on, post Rush. Because the band is now officially over. But we still listen and love the music. Even more reason to get together to celebrate our joy for their music.

Here is hoping I make it out to a future RushCon to meet some of you.

I agree 100%, Todem!