The Delain Thread

fraroc

I only got a single thing to say......WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T I DISCOVER THESE GUYS EARLIER?! They kick ass!

A few basic facts about this band, they are a female-fronted gothic metal band from The Netherlands that is about 11 years old, so a relatively new band. From what I've heard, they sound like a pentagram (lol geddit koz im goffik) between Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, and Nightwish. Charlotte Wessels, the band's lead singer sounds is absolutely f***ing AMAZING. She sounds a lot like Cristina Scabbia.

I was introduced to them literally yesterday with this amazing song named "Army Of Dolls", which seriously helped me fight through a bout of depression caused by self-image issues.

If anyone else is a fan of Delain, PLEASE send me your song suggestions! I love what I've heard so far and I want to hear more!

Edited by fraroc

They're decent. Singer is hot as f**k.

Saw them open for Nightwish twice and they were solid both times.

Overall, they're a mid tier female fronted band.

Did I mention how hot the singer is?

Yeah, that's the biggest thing they bring to the table.

My achievements seem so humble

While you're making wine from water

While my hand work the cold soil

All you toch turns into gold

And I don't wanna be like you

I don't wanna be like you

It seems like you outrun me every time

I want to be you

Why can't I erase you from my mind

I want to be you

If you don't think those lyrics and the way they're sing is amazing then I don't know what else to tell you.

I want to be you

I want to be you

If you don't think those lyrics and the way they're sing is amazing then I don't know what else to tell you.

What song is that?

And no, those lyrics aren't amazing just be reading them. But often times in music what makes lyrics amazing is how they are delivered by the singer and how the music helps the impact of the words.

I want to be you

I want to be you

What song is that?

And no, those lyrics aren't amazing just be reading them. But often times in music what makes lyrics amazing is how they are delivered by the singer and how the music helps the impact of the words.

The song is called Invidia off of the April Rain album.

I'm not a fan, although I like Lucidity a lot.

I don't really hear the Cristina Scabbia similarity, but Fraroc, I am so glad you took my advice and are trying more bands like this!

Try Within Temptation.

I'm gonna try more of their stuff.

I've heard a lot of it but it felt to much like stuff I already listen too without hooking me.

I've heard a lot of it but it felt to much like stuff I already listen too without hooking me.

Right now, my two favorites are Army of Dolls and Invidia.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's how I feel. There are bands out there who do this style better. Delain is like a dollar store Within Temptation.

I am glad that fraroc is getting into newer bands though and is finally off the whole rock is dead thing.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's how I feel. There are bands out there who do this style better. Delain is like a dollar store Within Temptation.

I am glad that fraroc is getting into newer bands though and is finally off the whole rock is dead thing.

Exactly, a poor man's WT. Charlotte Wessel isn't all that great to me. She lacks something the best female singers in metal have. She leaves me as cold as Simone Simons.

But yeah, he is slowly opening hos mind to a whole world of music!

I saw Delain open for Nightwish and liked them, although I've never listened to any of their albums. Singer Charlotte Wessel is also the singer of Phantasma and I did buy their album. It is okay, but understand that for me that is a compliment, as I usually do not like female-fronted bands. (Nightwish is a huge exception there for me.) Fraroc, if you like her then you should also check out Phantasma.

They are an interesting band and I've been following them for a few years. It's quality music, just some of the vocals are a bit hard to take. But Charlotte is just fine with the volume off, too :-)

I'm a follower on Facebook and the guitar player blew out a testicle a year or so ago and kept playing until the show ended.

I'm a follower on Facebook and the guitar player blew out a testicle a year or so ago and kept playing until the show ended.

Really? That guy is a fucking trooper....

Edited by fraroc

They are an interesting band and I've been following them for a few years. It's quality music, just some of the vocals are a bit hard to take. But Charlotte is just fine with the volume off, too :-)

Whaaaa? How does one do that whilst playing guitar?

The new Delain album, Apocalypse And Chill, is a really surprising joy for me. It sounds like a band truly moving the smyphonic metal genre forward, without denying the pomposity of the genres roots. It has the potential to break them big on the European market. This is the album I thought Within Temptation were going to unleash with the last two. It feels more hard rock than most of their peers, and the vocals are second to none.

We Had Everything and Burning Bridges are genre classics in the making. In fact, Burning Bridges could be one of the top ten greatest symphonic metal singles of all time.

That voice...Charlotte Weasels is challenging Floor Jansen for title of greatest female vocalist in metal today. How are they live?

Charlotte Weasels :LOL:

They're very good live. I've seen them three times (I think). I'm not particularly a fan, just like the odd song or two, but they have great energy on stage and the atmosphere at their gigs has been fantastic. I will be forever grateful to them for bringing Cellar Darling along for their first ever UK performance back in 2017, though.

I saw them headlining a show that also had Anneke van Giersbergen and Amorphis. I stayed for three or four Delain songs, until I had a vivid enough mental picture of their hot singer to remember later that evening. Musically, I was not impressed.
  • Like 1

Perhaps Charlotte Weasels should change the way she dresses live. When I saw them opening for Nightwish she wore tight leather pants and a top that I can only describe as looking like someone just wrapped a small towel around her to cover up her breasts. The rest of her upper body was exposed. Now your music better be damn good if you want the males in the audience to forget about that image. Unfortunately, their music is nowhere near that level.

Charlotte is a top level hottie though.

• Like 1

I think the new album is pretty standard Symphonic/pop/metal.

nothing amazing nothing awful......just solid.

Mick

That's what I have been saying about them for years.

i've played most of their stuff and it's enjoyable....but.......um......standard, lol

Mick

I think the new album is pretty standard Symphonic/pop/metal.

nothing amazing nothing awful......just solid.

Mick

That's what I have been saying about them for years.

i've played most of their stuff and it's enjoyable....but.......um......standard, lol

Mick

It's more enjoyable when you see them live, if you know what I mean lol.

I've seen them open for Nightwish twice and all I can think of afterwards is "damn! That singer is hot!"

• Like 1