Passing the Rush torch to your kids--Tell your story

Tombstone Mountain

I may not have any kids, but I can tell the story of how my dad got me into Rush. I remember being young and hearing Snakes and Arrows in the car and telling my dad "That guy can't sing!" :LOL: But then one fateful day we stopped at the store after school to get some groceries and saw Retrospective III sitting on a CD rack. My dad decided to buy it and we listened to it all the time in the car and that's where my love of Rush began believe it or not. I basically memorized every song on Retrospective III and when I got my first MP3 player the only two albums I had on it and listened to were Snakes and Arrows and Retrospective III. Then one day in 2010 my dad asked me "How would you like to go to a Rush show later this year?" I of course said yes, because at that point I really liked their music. So in August 2010 (I was only 9 at the time) I went to my very first Rush show on the Time Machine Tour in Omaha, NE. It happened to be on the night before the first day of 4th grade. :LOL: That night I was absolutely blown away by how incredible they sounded live. After that, my obsession had started. I began buying all of their albums on iTunes and listening to them. I loved each one and ended up becoming a total Rush nerd, unlike my dad who is less hardcore. I would often times spend time in school doodling Rush stuff (mostly Clockwork Angels stuff :LOL:) Since that first show I've been lucky enough to go see them 3 more times. There usually isn't a day that goes by without rush being listened to for me.
  • Like 8

I started my daughter Sam out on Rush concerts during the T4E tour. She was 5. She saw them with me on every tour since culminating in a road trip to Toronto and Montreal for the R40 tour. In the middle of all that was her Make-A-Wish with Rush in 2008. In all, I think she we saw them together close to 30 times. To this day, Rush is her favorite. Followed closely by Macklemore (I don't understand that one!). This is a sign she made during the Vapor Trails tour. Another drawing she made for Alex during the T4E tour made it onto Geddy's refrigerator.

http://www.jd-photography.net/pics/IMG_3354.JPG

Needs a frame....

It really does. I haven't framed it because I don't have a place to hang it. Sam graduated with her Master's degree last may and just landed a great job. She is going to be looking for a new place to live very soon. I plan on framing this, plus a few other things of hers I have, and giving them to her as a "house warming" present.

• Like 4

I started my daughter Sam out on Rush concerts during the T4E tour. She was 5. She saw them with me on every tour since culminating in a road trip to Toronto and Montreal for the R40 tour. In the middle of all that was her Make-A-Wish with Rush in 2008. In all, I think she we saw them together close to 30 times. To this day, Rush is her favorite. Followed closely by Macklemore (I don't understand that one!). This is a sign she made during the Vapor Trails tour. Another drawing she made for Alex during the T4E tour made it onto Geddy's refrigerator.

Needs a frame....

It really does. I haven't framed it because I don't have a place to hang it. Sam graduated with her Master's degree last may and just landed a great job. She is going to be looking for a new place to live very soon. I plan on framing this, plus a few other things of hers I have, and giving them to her as a "house warming" present.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers the original thread a few years ago with your daughter Sam and how the Make-A-Wish foundation made meeting Rush possible. Touching moment to say the least. And it's pretty cool to hear that she's doing really well these days. :)

• Like 4

Needs a frame....

it's pretty cool to hear that she's doing really well these days. :)

Agreed. A great thing to hear! Happy for Sam
  • Like 1

The two of my kids that are into Rush are 22 and 17 (my 16 year old doesn't get them even a little bit). They were exposed to Rush simply because I listen to them a lot and over time they came to like many of the shorter "classic" Rush songs. They are certainly not fanatics like I and still don't understand the appeal of Rush's "epic" longer songs.

I took both of them with me to see the R40 tour and the songs they looked forward to were pretty typical of casual Rush fans (Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart, Roll the Bones). Needless to say, there weren't disappointed in the show. The one song in the show that stood out for my oldest was Distant Early Warning. He thought they performed that really well.

I wonder sometimes what it would have been like to be exposed to 30+ years worth of Rush all at the same time the way my kids were. Every album, song and style that the band had gone through on an even keel. Would my favorites be different?

• Like 2

Needs a frame....

it's pretty cool to hear that she's doing really well these days. :)

Agreed. A great thing to hear! Happy for Sam

Ditto here. Sam is so lucky in so many ways, but the time she spent with the band I hope will be a high point in her life forever.

• Like 1

They've heard some rush here and there but I've made no effort to get them to be fans.

Same here. If my daughter some day "discovers" Rush, well that'll be pretty cool. Whatever musical taste my daughter ends up with, I want it to be her musical taste.

God, what if my parents had decided to make me an Ink Spots fan?!

• Like 1

I'm VERY glad that my parents weren't Rush fans, otherwise I would have automatically hated them....

I in turn have made no effort to turn my stepchildren on to them.....they are all adults now, and I don't think we've mentioned them more than fleetingly over the years.

• Like 2

I'm VERY glad that my parents weren't Rush fans, otherwise I would have automatically hated them....

I in turn have made no effort to turn my stepchildren on to them.....they are all adults now, and I don't think we've mentioned them more than fleetingly over the years.

Indeed. My son appreciates and has seen rush but has sought out and found his own favorites.

• Like 1

Indeed. My son appreciates and has seen rush but has sought out and found his own favorites.

I certainly appreciate (and agree with) those who say they want their kids just to become who they're going to be- with their own tastes, likes and dislikes, etc...absolutely.

But I also like the fact that mine take a liking to certain things that I expose them to- and especially Rush.

It isn't a matter of trying to make them like all the same things I do. But it's really cool to find out that they like some of the same Rush songs that I love, too. That's all.

• Like 4

I certainly appreciate (and agree with) those who say they want their kids just to become who they're going to be- with their own tastes, likes and dislikes, etc...absolutely.

But I also like the fact that mine take a liking to certain things that I expose them to- and especially Rush.

It isn't a matter of trying to make them like all the same things I do. But it's really cool to find out that they like some of the same Rush songs that I love, too. That's all.

Amen brotha man. Nothing like jamming Seven Cities of Gold on the way to school with the lads. As they say, "that song really kicks butt Dad!"
  • Like 4

Amen brotha man. Nothing like jamming Seven Cities of Gold on the way to school with the lads. As they say, "that song really kicks butt Dad!"

No it doesn't. He's just buttering you up because he wants something. Smart kid. ;)

• Like 1

No it doesn't. He's just buttering you up because he wants something. Smart kid. ;)

Yeah he wants to jam Headlong Flight next.
  • Like 1

Yeah he wants to jam Headlong Flight next.

That bit I can believe!

• Like 1

If I had kids, I'd like to think they'd at least respect Rush, if they didn't become fans.

Its something I am very wary of, not just matters of Rush, but things generally, where my kids are concerned. What I mean is, I dont want to push my children too hard in any given area. Gentle encouragement, prompting. Its tough, but Rush are not pushed onto my children, its a goal to let them generally find their place...autonomy et cetra. And If my kids don't like the music of Rush, I too do hope at least, they respect Rush, along with the many other great people out there.

• Like 4

i took my son to his first concerton 5 28 2015 which was RUSH on the R40 tour in greensboro.he loved it,and so did i. he is off now doing his part to watch over is in the USAF now.i always listened to classic rock rush,led zep,,johnny cash,waylon and willie,and my kids know how much i love all of them.
  • Like 1

i took my son to his first concerton 5 28 2015 which was RUSH on the R40 tour in greensboro.he loved it,and so did i. he is off now doing his part to watch over is in the USAF now.i always listened to classic rock rush,led zep,,johnny cash,waylon and willie,and my kids know how much i love all of them.

I was at that show...pretty freaking awesome. Alex looked like he had the runs during TCE though

My son recently turned 6, and has been hearing much of the contents of my iPod his entire life (it's a very broad variety of stuff, including a healthy dose of rush songs). I try to watch what he reacts to, and I'm convinced he hates 95% of what I listen to, but he loves KISS, and Queen. Seems thoroughly disinterested in Rush, but there's always hope. He is interested in playing around with my drums and the crappy keyboard my brother gave him, or whatever else he can make noise with. He already imagines he and his friends are starting a band, and tells my wife and me who will be playing what. So far creative things seem to be his forte.
  • Like 1