Passing the Rush torch to your kids--Tell your story

Tombstone Mountain

My oldest son came home from school last week and showed me something that made me smile.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/6007_zps6pvqaaeq.jpg

He's 11 and really loves to listen to Rush. In the car, at home, wherever...he's up for anything I put in the player.

He enjoys Feedback a ton. Sadly, I deny him most of the time when he asks to crank up "Time Stand Still". When I played "I think I'm going bald" for the first time, he covered his ears and said "make it stop!" Spirit of Radio get's the air drumming juices flowing.

His absolute favorite album though is Signals, with Fly By Night a close second. He loves every groove of those records. Knows all the words. Can sing the melodies. Red Barchetta is his favorite song, but Rivendell is hot on it's heels. He's all about the stories they tell.

Hopefully, one day I can take him to a show...though that seems like a pipe dream. So guys, share your stories.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 15

I've been able to turn my kids on to Rush a little bit. My older son (he'll be 13 in January) has a couple of favorite tunes- YYZ and Freewill. He likes a couple of other things in particular, and sometimes it surprises me when he says so (but that's a good thing). My younger one, I'm not too sure about. I don't think he cares much.

I remember playing Clockwork Angels when we were in the car one time, not long after it was released, and I told them that they guys who made that music are almost as old as their grandparents. They were floored.

Other than that...well, when I have a live DVD on, they both love to watch Neil's solos. :)

• Like 2

My oldest son came home from school last week and showed me something that made me smile.

What does "Gotta Getty Me Lee" mean?

It means something. What exactly I don't know.

I was a minor Rush fan up until when I saw them live, and now I find it difficult not to listen to them every day. I don't think my dad was ever obsessive over Rush, but he didn't have to do much to get me into their music. My older brother was of the same opinion as me before seeing them, and he got into them a little more after seeing them live, but never really too much. I'd say it really depends on the musical taste that they develop, but they're bound to like a song if they hear it enough early on in life (or at least it wouldn't hurt to try and force them into liking Rush!).
  • Like 3

He's 11 and really loves to listen to Rush. In the car, at home, wherever...he's up for anything I put in the player.

He enjoys Feedback a ton. Sadly, I deny him most of the time when he asks to crank up "Time Stand Still". When I played "I think I'm going bald" for the first time, he covered his ears and said "make it stop!" Spirit of Radio get's the air drumming juices flowing.

His absolute favorite album though is Signals, with Fly By Night a close second. He loves every groove of those records. Knows all the words. Can sing the melodies. Red Barchetta is his favorite song, but Rivendell is hot on it's heels. He's all about the stories they tell.

Hopefully, one day I can take him to a show...though that seems like a pipe dream. So guys, share your stories.

Just make sure you tell him tales of old! BTW frame it! Edited by robertrobyn
  • Like 1

Just make sure you tell him tales of old! BTW frame it!

He'll probably have three dozen frames by the end of this year.

I say make a file of all of his Rush stuff...then show him that file in say 10, 20, or X-many years.

• Like 1

Maybe it means he needs his Geddy/Rush fix. Haven't spoken "11" in too long.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

My son absolutely adores 'subdivisions'. Its one of the tracks that stand's out for him. He will always ask for it. He calls it the flying car song, as he knows it from the heaven below cover/video, hes seven yrs old so, things may not stick yet.

I was going to start a thread similar to this. With a slightly different perspective of 'what rush videos do you show your kids'

Say this as there are loads about, that really capture my kids imagination, and help introduce them to great music,

Like this one, rockets and Rush, it doesn't get much better :)

• Like 2

My daughter now 29 and son 26 appreciate Rush enough for me. I have taken each to a Rush show and they loved it. My daughter almost always gets me something Rush for Christmas each year which is cool. I don't and never did expect Rush to be their favorite band but they know them and respect and enjoy their music and that's enough... Edited by Narps
  • Like 6

My step kids aren't fans, nor would I expect them to be.. With that said, they LOVE Tom Sawyer, YYZ and Limelight and my oldest comments.. "Not all people are huge fans of theirs but I challenge anyone to find more talented musicians". :)
  • Like 3

My stepdaughters are not really Rush fans, but the music is so ubiquitous in our home, since my wife also loves Rush, that they cannot escape it. They love all kinds of music, including a healthy dose of classic rock, and Rush falls into that. But as a favorite? No, and probably never will be. They do surprise me, though, with the songs that stick with them. From time to time they will hum along to a song that is playing and I turn and look at them as if to say, "You like that one?". For example, my oldest stepdaughter, who is now almost 17, is obsessed with "The Wreckers". Why that song, I have no clue. And they like many of the "hits" - "Tom Sawyer", "Closer to the Heart", "Fly by Night", and the like.

They will, from time to time, sit and watch a little of the live DVDs. The oldest said one day about a year ago after watching a Peart solo, "Doesn't he make you tired watching him??"

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

I started my daughter Sam out on Rush concerts during the T4E tour. She was 5. She saw them with me on every tour since culminating in a road trip to Toronto and Montreal for the R40 tour. In the middle of all that was her Make-A-Wish with Rush in 2008. In all, I think she we saw them together close to 30 times. To this day, Rush is her favorite. Followed closely by Macklemore (I don't understand that one!). This is a sign she made during the Vapor Trails tour. Another drawing she made for Alex during the T4E tour made it onto Geddy's refrigerator.

http://www.jd-photography.net/pics/IMG_3354.JPG

• Like 14

I started my daughter Sam out on Rush concerts during the T4E tour. She was 5. She saw them with me on every tour since culminating in a road trip to Toronto and Montreal for the R40 tour. In the middle of all that was her Make-A-Wish with Rush in 2008. In all, I think she we saw them together close to 30 times. To this day, Rush is her favorite. Followed closely by Macklemore (I don't understand that one!). This is a sign she made during the Vapor Trails tour. Another drawing she made for Alex during the T4E tour made it onto Geddy's refrigerator.

^^^ ***this is so many different kinds of awesome*** ^^^

• Like 7

Just make sure you tell him tales of old! BTW frame it!

He knows about Neil joining on FBN, and he likes 2112, though the instrumental sections tend to bore him at the moment. Xanadu fits in the same category for him...gotta work on that!

My daughter now 29 and son 26 appreciate Rush enough for me. I have taken each to a Rush show and they loved it. My daughter almost always gets me something Rush for Christmas each year which is cool. I don't and never did expect Rush to be their favorite band but they know them and respect and enjoy their music and that's enough...

A parent can only do so much right?
  • Like 1

Mine have been "exposed" but most aren't into them. They do recognize many songs and can even quote lyrics, for what that's worth. My 11 year old daughter does like some Rush but I am not sure of she has any favorites. Well, okay she likes Signals but that is mostly because of the doggy on the cover. She is a big animal lover and dogs and horses are the favorites. My oldest daughter is 31 and she likes a wide variety of music; there are some prog bands she likes; Rush is one of them but I wouldn't say she is anywhere near as crazy about them as I am.
  • Like 1

Mine just went off to college and his first show was when he was 4. He saw them 12 times since. He's not a geek about them like I am, but he sure likes them a lot.

He was pretty stoked when one of the Doctor Who bonus features used Countdown as the audio track a number of years ago.

And he didn't grow up a Rangers or Yankees fan so think it was mostly a success.

• Like 3

I've been able to turn my kids on to Rush a little bit. My older son (he'll be 13 in January) has a couple of favorite tunes- YYZ and Freewill. He likes a couple of other things in particular, and sometimes it surprises me when he says so (but that's a good thing). My younger one, I'm not too sure about. I don't think he cares much.

I remember playing Clockwork Angels when we were in the car one time, not long after it was released, and I told them that they guys who made that music are almost as old as their grandparents. They were floored.

Other than that...well, when I have a live DVD on, they both love to watch Neil's solos. :)

One thing I impress upon my oldest as well. These guys are grandparents and kicking much ass!

There's hope for all of us

• Like 2

Maybe it means he needs his Geddy/Rush fix. Haven't spoken "11" in too long.

It doesn't get cooler than this! How gracious of them Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Mine have been "exposed" but most aren't into them. They do recognize many songs and can even quote lyrics, for what that's worth. My 11 year old daughter does like some Rush but I am not sure of she has any favorites. Well, okay she likes Signals but that is mostly because of the doggy on the cover. She is a big animal lover and dogs and horses are the favorites. My oldest daughter is 31 and she likes a wide variety of music; there are some prog bands she likes; Rush is one of them but I wouldn't say she is anywhere near as crazy about them as I am.

Show her this and see what she thinks

Needs a frame....