Is Hemispheres the Best Rush Album?

winter17

Anyone who thinks CA is Rush’s best album is daft.

For one, the production lets it down. Copy and paste verses and ridiculous singing.

Couldn't agree more...

To the original question, short answer, yes. If you like that sort of thing. Edited by Rutlefan

I'm embarrassingly new to Rush and new to this forum, but have listened to nobody else in the six months since I finally discovered them...and Hemispheres is my favourite. I think it distils everything they do - the stuff they do better than everyone else - into four magic songs.
  • Like 4

I'm embarrassingly new to Rush and new to this forum, but have listened to nobody else in the six months since I finally discovered them...and Hemispheres is my favourite. I think it distils everything they do - the stuff they do better than everyone else - into four magic songs.

Welcome to the forum, and Hemispheres is a masterpiece.

• Like 2

Thank you! It is, and I really regret all my wasted years listening to, like, anyone else :doh:

• Like 1

You are wise beyond your years... "Magic", as you put it, describes the album perfectly. It is my runaway favorite!
  • Like 1

Mine too. No wisdom here though... I've listened to guitar bands and played since I was 13 but no Rush until last summer when I turned 43!!! Don't know how I did that, hearing Steve Morse's version of La Villa Strangiato years before the real one. I got to hear everything for the first time over the last six months and it has been the greatest experience... can you imagine, hearing Rush all over again for the first time??
  • Like 2

Thank you! It is, and I really regret all my wasted years...

Who will pay...?

:LOL:

Welcome!

• Like 3

In my opinion, you can't beat Moving Pictures. The songs, the sound quality... It's just a perfect album.

Most of the world agrees with this.

People, who haven't, and maybe, don't have all of Rush's c.ds, and albums, and listened to all of their music, and are only familiar, with "Moving Pictures" might say it's "Moving Pictures".

As would people who have been fans for nearly 40 years.

It's definitely their best 80s album but Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are better.

Two '70's albums! :)

Were you referring to PeW as a 70's album? PeW was released on Jan. 14, 1980. That was the root of my confusion. It was my impression that he said that MP was their 'best' 80's album, but then goes on to say that PeW is better.. Both MP and PeW can't occupy the same space as 'best' at the same time (both being 80's records) and if MP is the 'best' 80's album, then PeW necessarily could not be "better" than MP...

PeW is a 70s album. That is the decade of its creation.

Are you daft?

No, but thanks for asking.
  • Like 2

Mine too. No wisdom here though... I've listened to guitar bands and played since I was 13 but no Rush until last summer when I turned 43!!! Don't know how I did that, hearing Steve Morse's version of La Villa Strangiato years before the real one. I got to hear everything for the first time over the last six months and it has been the greatest experience... can you imagine, hearing Rush all over again for the first time??

Wow... You have been blessed to have discovered them, but I'm sorry you never got to see them live. My first show was on the Tour of the Hemispheres in Nov. 1978. Other-worldly! Welcome to the TRF ... :rush:
  • Like 2

In my opinion, you can't beat Moving Pictures. The songs, the sound quality... It's just a perfect album.

People, who haven't, and maybe, don't have all of Rush's c.ds, and albums, and listened to all of their music, and are only familiar, with "Moving Pictures" might say it's "Moving Pictures".

It's definitely their best 80s album but Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are better.

Were you referring to PeW as a 70's album? PeW was released on Jan. 14, 1980. That was the root of my confusion. It was my impression that he said that MP was their 'best' 80's album, but then goes on to say that PeW is better.. Both MP and PeW can't occupy the same space as 'best' at the same time (both being 80's records) and if MP is the 'best' 80's album, then PeW necessarily could not be "better" than MP...

Are you daft?

Touche' sir... Now I feel daft for inquiring after your being daft.

Wow... You have been blessed to have discovered them, but I'm sorry you never got to see them live. My first show was on the Tour of the Hemispheres in Nov. 1978. Other-worldly! Welcome to the TRF ... :rush:

Wow, must have been quite ride, following them live since then...they're one of the best bands to love if you did miss seeing them in the flesh, no shortage of DVDs etc. And I had to join TRF - not having anyone to talk to about them has been driving me crazy, at work and home! What I can see is how they command amazingly love and loyalty. I do feel blessed!

• Like 2

Wow, must have been quite ride, following them live since then...they're one of the best bands to love if you did miss seeing them in the flesh, no shortage of DVDs etc. And I had to join TRF - not having anyone to talk to about them has been driving me crazy, at work and home! What I can see is how they command amazingly love and loyalty. I do feel blessed!

You will find a TON of live recordings on Youtube as far back as 1974... ENJOY!
  • Like 1

Are you daft?

As well you should. Never provoke TRF's Holder of Sporks.

• Like 1

Are you daft?

As well you should. Never provoke TRF's Holder of Sporks.

lolol.... I will make it a point not to do that... :laughing yellow guy:
  • Like 1

In my opinion, Moving pictures is way better. Then Permanent waves.

Both great albums... The first 8 albums are my favorite block of their body of work...

I always thought Hemispheres was the best album. That was the point when their music got very proggy. I only wish there was some video of that tour. Saw them in Ottawa, Dec 21, 1978, which was my third Rush show... All I can say is...

Fill in the blank...

• Like 2

I always thought Hemispheres was the best album. That was the point when their music got very proggy. I only wish there was some video of that tour. Saw them in Ottawa, Dec 21, 1978, which was my third Rush show... All I can say is...

Fill in the blank...

"AWESOME" (blank fully filled in)... I saw them a month before you in Sacramento on November 10, 1978. Wicked good! :rush:

Both great albums... The first 8 albums are my favorite block of their body of work...

Absolutely not, for me.

I think CA is their best since PoW, at least. And is overall better than at least the first three albums.

• Like 2

Absolutely not, for me.

I think CA is their best since PoW, at least. And is overall better than at least the first three albums.

And That folks....is what makes this world go 'round... (Well, at least half the world ;) ) :rush: