Is Hemispheres the Best Rush Album?

winter17

For me, Moving Pictures is the best rock album ever made. It is perfect in every way. Hemispheres is great, but it's not their best. Cygnus X-1 Book 2 was just taking the prog thing a bit too far. Hemispheres might be the best album for prog-rock fans but in my opinion, albums like Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Power Windows, are just better. After Hemispheres, Rush figured out how to put more emotion and more perfection in a 5-minute song, than they used to do in 20-minute songs.
  • Like 2

Hey, if it's your favorite, it's their best. It's not my favorite, though. Side one doesn't do much for me. Not too impressed with "Circumstances," either. "The Trees" and "La Villa Strangiatto" are both superb. I'd say that A Farewell to Kings is their best album. I love every second of that one.
  • Like 2

Hey, if it's your favorite, it's their best. It's not my favorite, though. Side one doesn't do much for me. Not too impressed with "Circumstances," either. "The Trees" and "La Villa Strangiatto" are both superb. I'd say that A Farewell to Kings is their best album. I love every second of that one.

Wow! You love every second of "Madrigal?" YYZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! A snooze fest song but hey you must be on to something. On the BEST ALBUM EVER Poll AFTK is beating "Hemispheres" 9-6.

This forum is crazy!

• Like 2

Wow! You love every second of "Madrigal?" YYZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! A snooze fest song but hey you must be on to something. On the BEST ALBUM EVER Poll AFTK is beating "Hemispheres" 9-6.

This forum is crazy!

Kids these days. ..

Of course i love aftk but imo the only way its better then hemispheres is the cover art but still minimal quality differences to me

• Like 1

Plus it's the only record with an awesome poster included as extra special bonus.

Absolutely Tangy! These damn kids have no clue! Of course AFTK is EPIC. But nothing on the planet touches "Hemispheres." The bonus poster inside is beyond amazing! Even Japan made a mini replica poster inside the Japanese cd cardboard pressing!

• Like 1

Plus it's the only record with an awesome poster included as extra special bonus.

The "Hemispheres" album cover blows AFTK away! Hell I did a music video shoot with the band I'm in and of course I'm wearing a "Hemispheres" tee. Duh! LOL!

• Like 1

This forum is crazy!

I noticed that too, Earl. I don't think AFTK ever beat Hemispheres in a poll between the two on here before.

• Like 1

This forum is crazy!

I noticed that too, Earl. I don't think AFTK ever beat Hemispheres in a poll between the two on here before.

I totally agree Lorraine. I'm actually in total shock or the first time on this board. Lol

• Like 1

In my opinion, you can't beat Moving Pictures. The songs, the sound quality... It's just a perfect album.

Most of the world agrees with this.

People, who haven't, and maybe, don't have all of Rush's c.ds, and albums, and listened to all of their music, and are only familiar, with "Moving Pictures" might say it's "Moving Pictures".

As would people who have been fans for nearly 40 years.

It's definitely their best 80s album but Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are better.

Two '70's albums! :)

Were you referring to PeW as a 70's album? PeW was released on Jan. 14, 1980. That was the root of my confusion. It was my impression that he said that MP was their 'best' 80's album, but then goes on to say that PeW is better.. Both MP and PeW can't occupy the same space as 'best' at the same time (both being 80's records) and if MP is the 'best' 80's album, then PeW necessarily could not be "better" than MP...
  • Like 1

Hemispheres is one of their best albums. I feel the same way about Power Windows, but I can't compare those to albums and say one is better than the other. Two brilliant incarnations of Rush at their best...in my world.
  • Like 2

Wow! You love every second of "Madrigal?"

I do! :D

• Like 1

In my opinion, you can't beat Moving Pictures. The songs, the sound quality... It's just a perfect album.

People, who haven't, and maybe, don't have all of Rush's c.ds, and albums, and listened to all of their music, and are only familiar, with "Moving Pictures" might say it's "Moving Pictures".

It's definitely their best 80s album but Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are better.

Were you referring to PeW as a 70's album? PeW was released on Jan. 14, 1980. That was the root of my confusion. It was my impression that he said that MP was their 'best' 80's album, but then goes on to say that PeW is better.. Both MP and PeW can't occupy the same space as 'best' at the same time (both being 80's records) and if MP is the 'best' 80's album, then PeW necessarily could not be "better" than MP...

PeW is a 70s album. That is the decade of its creation.

• Like 2

I used to think so, but Clockwork Angels takes the cake. It is a true culmination of their career.

:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

PeW is a 70s album. That is the decade of its creation.

Are you daft?

He's right about CA's mix and sound. Its a giant mush of layered guitars basses and vocals. If you love the songs that's cool but no way is it a better produced album than almost anything before it. Original VT is maybe worse. Or RTB for gutless pop tinnyness
  • Like 1

Anyone who thinks CA is Rush’s best album is daft.

For one, the production lets it down. Copy and paste verses and ridiculous singing.

I don't hear how anyone can disagree with this. I have days when I can enjoy it, but I often need to skip a good five or six once they get halfway through (it really is repetitive!).

• Like 2