Is Hemispheres the Best Rush Album?

winter17

all rush albums are great, there is no best one. it boils down to what your favorite one might be. my favorite rush album is a farewell to kings.
  • Like 3

I think Side 2 of Hemispheres ranks as high as anything in their catalog, but I'm not a huge fan of the Cygni. Book 2 gets a bit :beathorse: for me, as well as being a little silly lyrically/thematically for my tastes. I love Prelude, though.

The dude has spoken...and nailed it.
  • Like 2

all rush albums are great, there is no best one. it boils down to what your favorite one might be. my favorite rush album is a farewell to kings.

^^^ This. Any Rush is good Rush to me. My favorite album moves around. Lately I've been listening to Moving Pictures a lot and it's my favorite...again. Next month it may be p/g...again.

• Like 2

You have to listen to it on red vinyl.

So the LP being red makes it sound better?

Man, you have no idea. It is an audiovisual experience unlike any other.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Hemispheres is often my favorite album by them, but like many of us that changes occasionally.

2112 is probably their most important album, so in that sense it's their best. It's possibly why they had a career, after all.

Hemispheres is the overall better album compared to 2112, but like others I have to defend 2112 side 2. Twilight Zone is a terrific song, Passage to Bangkok is very good, and Something for Nothing is usually my favorite. When I was young Tears bored me, but I like it a lot now. I've always liked the simplicity of Lessons, a nice reminder that they are the same band that released Fly By Night even as they venture forward.

I'm not sure the discussion was initially intended to be 2112 vs. Hemispheres, though. I took that as an example of why Hemispheres was better (a reason I don't necessarily agree with).

So looking at the entire catalog you can use so many criteria to make the determination. I hesitate to put my stamp on it, but since I often do see Hemispheres as best I guess it certainly is always top 3.

The criticism of some silly overwrought passages in Book II can apply just as soundly to 2112. They were young and ridiculously ambitious and it definitely shows. I understand it was hard to make, but I've never seen one of the band members cite that as a note of derision. I always though they felt they had reached their potential with Hemispheres and therefore began to alter course and find other challenges.

Then again, Natural Science comes along one album later and tops everything they had done to that point. So already I'm making a case for PeW, and I could probably make a case for several other albums just as readily. It really does depend on what you're listening for at the time.

• Like 3

For the record, I really enjoy side 2 of 2112. Too many people give it short shrift, and that's a shame.

However, I do think that Hemispheres is more consistently great from start to finish.

Production? It's good...it's very good. But I think their best sound, was achieved on Permanent Waves, no question. That album's production, even compared to all of the other ones in the Terry Brown era, just has a certain X-factor, to my mind. Everything was just done perfectly.

Moving Pictures comes awfully close in that respect as well.

• Like 6

I, by no means, hate side 2 of 2112. In fact, The Twilight Zone and Tears consistently rank in my top 30 Rush songs, along with Something For Nothing and A Passage to Bangkok. However, what I'm saying is that Circumstances, The Trees, and La Villa Strangiato, in my opinion, are better than the side 2 2112 songs.

Honestly, I don't know that I've ever called a Rush song bad. That includes Tai Shan, Dog Years, and even BU2B2, if that counts. In fact, I listen to all of them and enjoy all of them. And, like many others have said, my favorite album/song changes with the day. It just comes down to the fact that all of the songs on Hemispheres are fan favorites among most fans, whereas on most other albums there's at least one song that some fans may consider "bad" or "not as good."

There are examples of "that" song from each album.

Rush - Take a Friend. Alright music, lyrics are painful at times.

Fly By Night - Rivendell. Once again, I love the song, it's just not nearly as interesting to the majority of fans, from what I can tell.

Caress of Steel - I Think I'm Going Bald. Same as Take a Friend.

2112 - Tears. Same as Rivendell.

A Farewell to Kings - Madrigal. Same as Rivendell.

Hemispheres - none.

Permanent Waves - Different Strings. I love the song, and by the standards of best overall song quality, this album would be second. But Different Strings is the only thing that makes me hesitate.

Moving Pictures - Vital Signs. It's a good song, just doesn't match up to Circumstances or The Trees in my opinion.

Signals - I'd say Losing It. I love the song, and it is usually in my top 5 Rush songs. But that's mainly because of the lyrics, so it doesn't quite equate to Hemispheres.

Grace Under Pressure - Red Lenses. It never kept my interest.

Power Windows - Big Money. Seems really repetitive to me.

Hold Your Fire - Tai Shan. Just weird.

Presto - Scars. Too many effects and synths.

Roll the Bones - Neurotica. Like Red Lenses, never caught my interest.

Counterparts - Alien Shore. The vocals never seemed quite up to par with most over vocals.

Test For Echo - Dog Years. The lyrics give a great metaphor, but aren't graceful if that makes sense.

Vapor Trails - Peaceable Kingdom. The vocals seemed crowded, like there is too much going on.

Snakes and Arrows - Bravest Face. The melody and guitar seem forced.

Clockwork Angels - BU2B2, for obvious reasons.

Once again, I like every Rush song, because each offers something another cannot. But in terms of complexity, musicianship, collaboration between all of the parts, and listenability, Hemispheres seems to take the cake.

Please don't turn this into a "worst song from each album" thread, I just figured since I created the thread, I'd offer my defense.

• Like 2

I, by no means, hate side 2 of 2112. In fact, The Twilight Zone and Tears consistently rank in my top 30 Rush songs, along with Something For Nothing and A Passage to Bangkok. However, what I'm saying is that Circumstances, The Trees, and La Villa Strangiato, in my opinion, are better than the side 2 2112 songs.

Honestly, I don't know that I've ever called a Rush song bad. That includes Tai Shan, Dog Years, and even BU2B2, if that counts. In fact, I listen to all of them and enjoy all of them. And, like many others have said, my favorite album/song changes with the day. It just comes down to the fact that all of the songs on Hemispheres are fan favorites among most fans, whereas on most other albums there's at least one song that some fans may consider "bad" or "not as good."

There are examples of "that" song from each album.

Rush - Take a Friend. Alright music, lyrics are painful at times.

Fly By Night - Rivendell. Once again, I love the song, it's just not nearly as interesting to the majority of fans, from what I can tell.

Caress of Steel - I Think I'm Going Bald. Same as Take a Friend.

2112 - Tears. Same as Rivendell.

A Farewell to Kings - Madrigal. Same as Rivendell.

Hemispheres - none.

Permanent Waves - Different Strings. I love the song, and by the standards of best overall song quality, this album would be second. But Different Strings is the only thing that makes me hesitate.

Moving Pictures - Vital Signs. It's a good song, just doesn't match up to Circumstances or The Trees in my opinion.

Signals - I'd say Losing It. I love the song, and it is usually in my top 5 Rush songs. But that's mainly because of the lyrics, so it doesn't quite equate to Hemispheres.

Grace Under Pressure - Red Lenses. It never kept my interest.

Power Windows - Big Money. Seems really repetitive to me.

Hold Your Fire - Tai Shan. Just weird.

Presto - Scars. Too many effects and synths.

Roll the Bones - Neurotica. Like Red Lenses, never caught my interest.

Counterparts - Alien Shore. The vocals never seemed quite up to par with most over vocals.

Test For Echo - Dog Years. The lyrics give a great metaphor, but aren't graceful if that makes sense.

Vapor Trails - Peaceable Kingdom. The vocals seemed crowded, like there is too much going on.

Snakes and Arrows - Bravest Face. The melody and guitar seem forced.

Clockwork Angels - BU2B2, for obvious reasons.

Once again, I like every Rush song, because each offers something another cannot. But in terms of complexity, musicianship, collaboration between all of the parts, and listenability, Hemispheres seems to take the cake.

Please don't turn this into a "worst song from each album" thread, I just figured since I created the thread, I'd offer my defense.

Well said

Narps and I have a thing for Side Two of 2112 ( .. note how S ide T wo is in caps, as it is something special ;)

Assuming that the OP's question / topic is about song quality and not sound / mixing quality, my answer is no. Definitely not. Not really close.

To paraphrase what other have said, side 2 is darn good (The Trees being the weakest song on that side - which is saying something as it is a strong song.). Side one however is really not special. At least not to my ears. Its ok. That all. So you have half the album which is just ok, Given the quality of many of Rush's other albums, it leaves Hemispheres trailing many of those albums.

For example, I would rank FBN, 2112, AFTK, MP, PoW, HYF & S&A all well above it.

• Like 1

While I don't think there is a single weak song on Hemispheres, and La Villia is in my top 5 Rush songs, IMO PeW reaches a bit higher. It has a superior sonic quality. If I could only have one Rush album this would be it.
  • Like 4

Assuming that the OP's question / topic is about song quality and not sound / mixing quality, my answer is no. Definitely not. Not really close.

To paraphrase what other have said, side 2 is darn good (The Trees being the weakest song on that side - which is saying something as it is a strong song.). Side one however is really not special. At least not to my ears. Its ok. That all. So you have half the album which is just ok, Given the quality of many of Rush's other albums, it leaves Hemispheres trailing many of those albums.

For example, I would rank FBN, 2112, AFTK, MP, PoW, HYF & S&A all well above it.

Albums I rank higher than Hemispheres:

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

A Farewell To King's

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Vapor Trails

Snakes And Arrows

• Like 1

Albums I rank higher than Hemispheres:

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

A Farewell To King's

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Vapor Trails

Snakes And Arrows

Wow!! Glad to hear others feel the same way I do about Hemispheres.

Good point about Presto & Grace Under Pressure. Yes, I would rank both above Hemispheres. Somehow I also overlooked Signals which I would rank above it as well.

Permanent Waves is a hard one to call. Its has some of Rush's best songs (e.g. Freewill & Spirit of Radio) but it also has Jacobs Ladder which does nothing for me. Also, the studio version of Natural Science is decent but not great. Live is another matter however (love it live). I would say the 2 albums are roughly on the same plane. Same with Counterparts.

CoS & VT - no thanks. Bottom of the barrel stuff (IMO).

Side two is flawless, up there with the greats, but it's side one that drags Hemispheres down. Prelude is pretty good, but the rest of the title track is disappointing. For that reason, no, Hemispheres is not the best Rush album.