An Assessment Of Future Touring Prospects

tomhealey

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: Oh leave it to Alex. :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Since I only own the cheap-o version of BTLS, I don't have the full version of them at dinner. This is the first time I watched it. When Geddy gives out his little gifts and Alex says, "Oh my god, a stupid little guitar." I lost it. :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

• Like 1

I refuse to believe it's over until they don't tour.

And how long are you planning on waiting? Until one of them dies, or is that just replacement time?

Well...they haven't proved me wrong yet...

No that's true but Neil seems to be pretty adamant about it now. We haven't heard that since the Vapor Trails era.

Edited by EagleMoon

I still think that Neil was pissed off by the R40 tour and time will tell if he'll ease his thinking about touring someday. I'm sure he's got physical issues, but some of the interviews I've read about the tour made me think that he did not get the break he was promised after the CA tour and it annoyed him. His first response would have been "Ok...I'll do an R40 tour, but then that's the end". Maybe time will make him re-think it.

My point is...why would he say during the R40 tour that it's going to be his last tour unless he was a little angry about something?

Haha, he's been "angry" for the last 10 years! Angry because he despised touring, but had no other choice. But don't let that give you the impression that he was a pushover. Neil controlled nearly every aspect of their last tour, which in turn, pissed off a LOT of people in the organization.

The story goes that Neil first heard about R40 from a radio interview with Alex....old Al finallly floats a rumor and nails it.... :P

That's correct, and it's not like it was a big surprise to him. He KNEW that a tour was in the works. But when he stopped communicating with his band mates directly, how else was he supposed to find out?

• Like 1

My point is...why would he say during the R40 tour that it's going to be his last tour unless he was a little angry about something?

Haha, he's been "angry" for the last 10 years! Angry because he despised touring, but had no other choice. But don't let that give you the impression that he was a pushover. Neil controlled nearly every aspect of their last tour, which in turn, pissed off a LOT of people in the organization.

The story goes that Neil first heard about R40 from a radio interview with Alex....old Al finallly floats a rumor and nails it.... :P

That's correct, and it's not like it was a big surprise to him. He KNEW that a tour was in the works. But when he stopped communicating with his band mates directly, how else was he supposed to find out?

It's too bad he couldn't just quit and go write his books and travel if that's what he wanted to do.

If he really didnt want to do it/was uncomfortable with it, I'm more inclined to give him props for going along with it anyway. He delivered his usual monster performance.
  • Like 6

There's always another choice. Another choice that your bandmates will be happy with when everyone is just in their early 50's ? Another choice that will easily allow you to keep your current lifestyle without touring ten more years? I dunno, but when you say Neil is angry because there was no other choice, it seems to deflect all of the blame onto others. There were always other choices, just difficult ones. As I have mentioned before- if your reporting of his anger is accurate, what a sad tale.

Edited by blueschica

Kind of off-topic, but I watched a Genesis documentary a while back where the subject of Peter Gabriel's leaving the band came up (sometime in '74-'75). Peter said that his first child was premature and the others didn't seem to understand the time away from the band that was necessary to deal with that situation. In the present, both Rutherford and Banks admitted that they were a bit disrespectful to Peter over that situation. They just didn't understand that the band wasn't the most important thing in Peter's life at the time.

I can see some similarities in the current Rush scenario. We have three men who are roughly the same age, two of whom are free and clear for the most part and probably don't see a huge problem with dropping everything for three months to hit the road. Then there is Neil and his young family. Now I certainly don't think there is necessarily any disrespect going on between them (and some may argue that), but there does seem to be a little bit of friction. They all understand that time is ticking away for the "band" due to their ages. Neil just seems to be saying to all of them "I won't get pressured into another tour so, as of right now, don't even ask". Will he still feel that way after three or four years, who can say?

It's possible that Neil's simply a little miffed that Geddy and Alex aren't coming out and saying "You know what, Neil's right, we're finished". Just that small hope that the other two are leaving out there may put unwanted pressure on him.

• Like 1

If he really didnt want to do it/was uncomfortable with it, I'm more inclined to give him props for going along with it anyway. He delivered his usual monster performance.

Sure, everyone should thank the guy for gracing us/them with his presence one last time.

Now you've got it.

• Like 1

Poor Neil didn't get a break? What did he call Sept 2013 thru all of 2014 then???

I wouldn't be surprised if he was promised, or expected, a five year break after the CA tour.

It's not like Ged and Al to lie to someone's face let alone do it to someone they care about.

Edited by fraroc

Poor Neil didn't get a break? What did he call Sept 2013 thru all of 2014 then???

I wouldn't be surprised if he was promised, or expected, a five year break after the CA tour.

It's not like Ged and Al to lie to someone's face let alone do it to someone they care about.

I doubt they lied to him, but there's a bit in Roadshow where Neil talks about how he always has difficulty directly stating what he wants and has a tendency to instead hint around it and hope that people pick up on it. It's not hard to imagine something like that happening here.

• Like 2

Neil clearly doesn't want the end of Rush pinned on him alone. He's hoping the other two get around to his way of thinking. The problem is that it's not going to happen. If Neil was indeed done forever beyond all doubt he'd give the others his blessing to continue in any capacity they saw fit from here on out.
  • Like 1

I don't understand why Neil doesn't just put out a statement confirming that he's officially retired if that is indeed the case rather than just a few soundbites which seem to wind everybody up including his band mates! Surely somebody must know the real truth of what's going on?

And how long are you planning on waiting? Until one of them dies, or is that just replacement time?

I'm willing to wait 5 years before giving up hope and accepting that they are truly finished with touring.

Me now: NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!!

Me in 5 years: ......fiiiiine.

• Like 1

I'm willing to wait 5 years before giving up hope and accepting that they are truly finished with touring.

I agree with what Cygnify said in another thread, Neil has nothing left to prove. He's perfectly happy to retire. The other two still seem to want to play music and I can see them doing something together. But as far as Rush touring again? I would see the chances as being close to nil. It takes them all months and months to get ready to tour and I just can't see Neil in particular wanting to do that anymore.

• Like 2

I agree with what Cygnify said in another thread, Neil has nothing left to prove. He's perfectly happy to retire. The other two still seem to want to play music and I can see them doing something together. But as far as Rush touring again? I would see the chances as being close to nil. It takes them all months and months to get ready to tour and I just can't see Neil in particular wanting to do that anymore.

Oh, I'm not saying he hasn't served his time. Nor that he doesn't deserve to retire. I'm just saying I'm not giving up hope that they may decide to tour again, whether that includes Neil or not. Give it 5 years...a good long break. See how bored they get. ;)