Which book should I get?

YYZumbi

Just don't get any of Neil's unless you're in the mood to go into a coma for a few months...

Let's not go there. If you don't like his books why comment? Sorry but I just get tired of all the Neil bashing.

I so agree with you. Neil get to much shit on this forum. He do not deserve it!

I also agree with you guys! He really does not deserve it!

Coma girl!

Can you not start this right now? If you do not like his stuff, then why post in this topic at all?

I think it's all in good fun

gotta love The Duck's sense of humor

These Peart fans don't see it as a funny subject. It's deadly serious like Neil's books.

Yes, this is not a funny subject.

It makes me laugh.

Why can't we talk about Neil's books without some asswipe coming in and hijacking the thread? Sometimes this place really has the mentality of a two-year-old. And that's not a good thing.

If you don't like my posts just ignore them, it's much easier than trying to tangle with me.

That's the problem with the world today.

Just don't get any of Neil's unless you're in the mood to go into a coma for a few months...

Let's not go there. If you don't like his books why comment? Sorry but I just get tired of all the Neil bashing.

I so agree with you. Neil get to much shit on this forum. He do not deserve it!

I also agree with you guys! He really does not deserve it!

Coma girl!

Can you not start this right now? If you do not like his stuff, then why post in this topic at all?

I think it's all in good fun

gotta love The Duck's sense of humor

These Peart fans don't see it as a funny subject. It's deadly serious like Neil's books.

Yes, this is not a funny subject.

It makes me laugh.

Why can't we talk about Neil's books without some asswipe coming in and hijacking the thread? Sometimes this place really has the mentality of a two-year-old. And that's not a good thing.

If you don't like my posts just ignore them, it's much easier than trying to tangle with me.

That's the problem with the world today.

I'm the problem with the world today am I? :16ton:

Roadshow is available in both hardcover and paperback on Amazon. A new hardcover is as cheap as $12 or $13.

Good to know.

Zumbi, Roadshow is cool because he writes it during a tour so you get a bit of insight as to how his days went while they were on the road.

Right on. If you want to about Neil's perspective on the band that's the one to read

I think I'll get Roadshow on Kindle for $4.99. I expect to find the Yukon Blade Grinder in the bibliography.

• Like 2

Traveling Music, because it's the one where he talks more about the music, not all Rush but his personal taste.

Traveling Music, because it's the one where he talks more about the music, not all Rush but his personal taste.

He also goes into great detail about how he became a musician and his time in London

I had forgotten about that one, it was very good! Neil does write a good bit about his childhood and growing up in St. Catherine's in it; London, as Union said; and its interesting to see what he likes to listen to as he is traveling. He's on a car trip by himself, so not so much about motorcycles. :)

• Like 1

None of Neil's books are "on English" so I'm not sure why you're looking at his books.

I wonder if Zumbi just means a book written in English. Prepositions are often some of the last things to fall into place for a multilingual speaker.

First I heard op doesn't have English as a native language.

I wanna start reading a book on english and was thinking a book about Rush would be the best start!

But Im not sure which book to get.

Either Im thinking about buying this one: https://www.amazon.c...pf_rd_i=desktop

Or one that Neil have written: https://www.rushback...ooks/index.html

But I have no idea which book that is best. Which one do you guys prefer and why?

What are you after? Books on lyrical interpretation? Philosophical and cultural discussions? Straight biography? Authorized? Unauthorized? Retrospectives?

There are four bios and if you're just into the 70's and early 80's stuff they might be worth a look. The last one "Chemistry" (unauthorized) is more than 10 years old. The others (written in 1982, 1984 and 1987 ( Visions was authorized at the time)

Then you have the books lyrical interpretations, and the deeper connection with culture and philosophy which I won't bore you with (Although I'd be happy to)

There's also a retrospective looking back with the band from 2004 by the ubiquitous Martin Popoff called "Contents Under Pressure" which has the band looking in the rear view mirror at their 30 year career (to that point)

Not sure what is still in print and what isn't after taking a quick look at the shelf.

There's also a book called Rush FAQ (Don't have it) which is from a series of band FAQ books.(I have no plans to get that one myself.)

Oh, and if you really like punishment, there are compilation books like ("Mereley Players" Typo on the front cover...nice!) and Rush Chronology which are kind of "This date in Rush history" books which compile release dates, memorabilia and other useless facts for the obsessed fan (like me!)

Here's a quick list. As I said there may be a few missing from here.

Rush, Brian Harrigan (Cherry Lane Music: 1984)

Success Under Pressure"", Steve Gett (Cherry Lane Books: 1984)

Visions, Bill Banasiewicz (Omnibus Press: 1988)

Mystic Rhythms"", Carol Selby Price and Robert M. Price (Wildside Press: 1999)

Merely Players"", Robert Telleria (Quarry Music Books: 2002)

A Simple Kind Mirror, Leonard Roberto, Jr. (iUniverse (vanity press), 2002)

Contents Under Pressure, Martin Popoff (ECW Press: 2004)

Chemistry"", Jon Collins (Helter Skelter Publishing: 2005)

Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class, Chris McDonald (Indiana University Press: 2009)

Rush and Philosophy, Jim Burti and Durrell Bowman, editors (Open Court: 2011)

Rush: The Illustrated History, Martin Popoff (Voyageur: 2013)

Rush FAQ, Max Mobley (Backbeat: 2014)

Rush: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Excellence, Robert Freedman (Algora: 2014)

Experiencing Rush, Durrell Bowman (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014)

Books: Neil Peart

The Masked Rider, ECW Press: 1996

Ghost Rider, ECW Press: 2002

Traveling Music, ECW Press: 2004

Roadshow, ECW Press: 2007

Far and Away, ECW Press: 2011

Far and Near, ECW Press: 2014

• Like 2

roadshow is the only book of neil's that has anything interesting about rush in it. traveling music is of some interest to learn about neil's early influences and experiences as a musician. the rest of them barely deal with music at all, except for neil generously quoting his own lyrics and interviews.

i enjoyed chemistry the most of the books about rush, because it had the most information about the recording of the actual albums in it. none of the books about rush are particularly fantastic, but any book about rush is kind of fun to read if you like reading about rush!

i read one Neil book and won't be reading anymore. I think it was the one he wrote during the R30 tour.

The best part about the book was the Carnegie castle (I think it was Carnegie's castle) he stayed in while visiting Treeduck in jolly old England.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents ( 'cause that's about all I have )

I think it is important to keep in mind that the forum is for discussing opinions and viewpoints - obviously based on what each member feels ... and when a topic comes up in regards to WHICH BOOK TO GET, I think it is completely understandable if someone posts that they felt a certain book was lacking - after all, isn't that what the original question was ??

Oddly enough, the informative posts here ( one from ytserush and my post with the actual photo of the book ) GO IGNORED ..

We come here to discuss .. NOT WORSHIP

Opinions were asked for in the original post ... so why is there a problem with opinions that don't necessarily match your own ??

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Just my 2 cents ( 'cause that's about all I have )

I think it is important to keep in mind that the forum is for discussing opinions and viewpoints - obviously based on what each member feels ... and when a topic comes up in regards to WHICH BOOK TO GET, I think it is completely understandable if someone posts that they felt a certain book was lacking - after all, isn't that what the original question was ??

Oddly enough, the informative posts here ( one from ytserush and my post with the actual photo of the book ) GO IGNORED ..

We come here to discuss .. NOT WORSHIP

Opinions were asked for in the original post ... so why is there a problem with opinions that don't necessarily match your own ??

Peart jacks off to these comments people in his biker leathers, so just let that sink in when you come to type in your opinions...

Zu Zu????

Oh brother.....

What? Can you guys just leave me alone about that. I like to call Zumbi that. Sheesh.

Edited: The objection (in my case, anyway) is that it seems like it's something pretty personal between you and Zumbi that's being shared in the middle of a book thread. But it's already been hijacked by leathers and comas and I don't know what else so there you go! I just wish there was another book like "Contents Under Pressure" that would continue the interviews and photos with the guys after the R30 tour. Maybe in a few years someone will do one? (oh pleezepleeze :) )

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1