Which book should I get?

YYZumbi

I've tried reading several of Neil's books and I am utterly convinced that he has some sort of social personality disorder. I've never seen someone whose writings are so far off base from what his buyer base desires. Halfway through Ghost Rider I skipped to the end because I was sick of reading "letters to Brutus". I know he's trying to reach a target audience that appreciates travelogues, but that number is so incredibly insignificant that he would never get more than one book published if he were some nobody. His publishers take advantage of the fact that there are enough delusional Rush fans who will buy anything with his name on it that they will still turn a profit. I got fooled once with Ghost Rider. Never again. Luckily I sold it on ebay for just under what I paid for it.
  • Like 3

I've tried reading several of Neil's books and I am utterly convinced that he has some sort of social personality disorder. I've never seen someone whose writings are so far off base from what his buyer base desires. Halfway through Ghost Rider I skipped to the end because I was sick of reading "letters to Brutus". I know he's trying to reach a target audience that appreciates travelogues, but that number is so incredibly insignificant that he would never get more than one book published if he were some nobody. His publishers take advantage of the fact that there are enough delusional Rush fans who will buy anything with his name on it that they will still turn a profit. I got fooled once with Ghost Rider. Never again. Luckily I sold it on ebay for just under what I paid for it.

Ghost Rider was moving, but boring and hard to get through. Roadshow is awesome. I learned so much about areas of the US I haven't been to and just a major rock tour in general. I loved reading the stories of his old bicycle rides as that is one of my interests as well. There are also old stories of Rush on the road and recording and everything else. Lots of inside drumming stuff. Just a great book.

• Like 1

Zu Zu????

Oh brother.....

What? Can you guys just leave me alone about that. I like to call Zumbi that. Sheesh.

Edited: The objection (in my case, anyway) is that it seems like it's something pretty personal between you and Zumbi that's being shared in the middle of a book thread. But it's already been hijacked by leathers and comas and I don't know what else so there you go! I just wish there was another book like "Contents Under Pressure" that would continue the interviews and photos with the guys after the R30 tour. Maybe in a few years someone will do one? (oh pleezepleeze :) )

I don't know. Obviously, I don't like Contents as much as you. Maybe I was expecting too much (probably) but I was hoping for a more in depth journey.

If they have trouble remembering what songs they play live (And I'm not calling them out on that because clearly (and probably rightly) trivial details of what note they may have played and when isn't the priority it once was.) While I do enjoy retrospective interviews (mostly for the details that they either didn't think was worth mentioning at the time or stuff that they didn't want out there for some reason that has been long forgotten about.) It's also fun to find out their rationalization or opinions about what they were doing.

I really like to find out what they may have been trying to shoot for or what context they were trying to do it in so I usually get more out of those "vault" interviews.

• Like 1

I've also read this one:

Rush And Philosophy

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1394327553i/12521693._UY200_.jpg

I had high hopes, but overall it was a disappointment ..... Each chapter is written by a different author, and while it is a fascinating idea, the writers, for the most part, have no chops or interesting insight .. I was hoping to learn something, or at least be entertained, but it is one to avoid IMHO

I've also read this one:

Rush And Philosophy

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1394327553i/12521693._UY200_.jpg

I had high hopes, but overall it was a disappointment ..... Each chapter is written by a different author, and while it is a fascinating idea, the writers, for the most part, have no chops or interesting insight .. I was hoping to learn something, or at least be entertained, but it is one to avoid IMHO

I've seen that at the bookstore. Too bad it's no good. Interesting idea for a book though.

I've also read this one:

Rush And Philosophy

I've seen that at the bookstore. Too bad it's no good. Interesting idea for a book though.

There are one or two chapters ( authors ) that have an interesting angle .. But overall, I was really disappointed

Being that it is not a history book or simply based on facts, the onus is on the writer to bring something of interest to the forefront - and for the most part, that doesn't happen ..

You know that I'm not one to put a big emphasis on credentials or education, but in this case, I was surprised at how little the writers had to offer ..

It was like taking a bunch of average fans and getting their opinion ... NOT that there is anything wrong with that, but I was expecting some more - I guess a LOT more - on the philosophical end ..

I've also read this one:

Rush And Philosophy

There are one or two chapters ( authors ) that have an interesting angle .. But overall, I was really disappointed

Being that it is not a history book or simply based on facts, the onus is on the writer to bring something of interest to the forefront - and for the most part, that doesn't happen ..

You know that I'm not one to put a big emphasis on credentials or education, but in this case, I was surprised at how little the writers had to offer ..

It was like taking a bunch of average fans and getting their opinion ... NOT that there is anything wrong with that, but I was expecting some more - I guess a LOT more - on the philosophical end ..

Well yeah I would too. Something a bit more deep.

I've also read this one:

Rush And Philosophy

I haven't gotten to that one yet. That's something I'd have to read with nothing else going on. Hopefully, I'll get to that soon.

There was another one I forgot on that list (probably because I haven't tracked it down yet.) Sounds like it would be something I'd be into, but I guess we'll see.

Neil Peart: Cultural Repercussions: An In-Depth Examination of the Words, Ideas

I've also read this one:

Rush And Philosophy

Agreed. I got about half way through and bailed on it.

• Like 1