Gigantour: Megadeth and Dream Theater

barney_rebel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seen Megadeth, and they put on a great show, but I am no longer going to ever go to a DT concert again. The DT show at Concord last year with Yes was so utterly disappointing, that I cannot justify spending any kind of money to help further thier career.

I've heard so many mixed things about DT -

I don't own a single album from them so I can't really comment.

One hand I've heard they're the worst band ever, on another hand I heard they put on the greatest show possible, especially their instrumentals. I guess I'll see for myself and make an honest opinion.

Mind you, I've never been to a metal oncert, ever. All my favourite metal bands no longer exist.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 7 2005, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 7 2005, 10:06 PM)
I've heard so many mixed things about DT -

I don't own a single album from them...

Keep it that way.

exactly.

geeze people here don't much like DT, do they MD?

well really i hear a lot of mixed things about their newest album, Octavarium. i guess a lot of people don't like it. i think it's decent, but not their best. it'll prolly grow on me though.

but seriously most of DT's other music is AMAZING. this is a GREAT band, i don't get why you guys dislike them. Images and Words is am amazing album, one of my fav albums of all time.

barney_rebel: don't listen to 1-0-0-1-0-0-1. well, don't go out and buy one of their albums without even hearing them. but at least check out some of their songs sometime. you may like them better than the other people here.

as for the tour: I'm not a huge fan of megadeth but simply cuz of DT i would LOVE to go to this tour.

I don't know, I don't think much of DT, though Images and Words is a great album (I hate the singer) but I'd go for Megadeth, Nevermore and especially The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Barney, if you want to hear DT, there are a few legal mp3s here.

Try "Learning to Live"

All I know is my buddy is great friends with the singer, and I keep hearing how amazing Portnoy is. Like I said, I'll see for myself.

I'm tired of hearing, "this band sucks" etc. "This movie sucks" etc. Ususally when anyone says that, I end up enjoying the show. May be my music tastes really suck, but we'll see.

I like Megadeth BUT I was very very disapointed with the show I saw them at it was awhile ago on the Countdown Tour they were headlining at the Worcester centrum and only played 42min it took us an hour to get there. I don't know if Dave was still on the "junk" then or what but man it was a very sloppy show.

Let us know how it went I might change my mind I have wanted to see Dream Theater.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 7 2005, 11:23 PM)
In all honestly, DT = a band full of Yngwie Malmsteens.

That's kind of true. Except Malmsteen's a stuck up bastard who thinks he's better than every musician on the planet.

I know DT may not have "soul" or whatever, but they still had some good tunes. Here's my opinion on each member of the band...

James LaBrie - Everybody hates him, but I like his vocals.. They're not special or anything, but I think he's pretty good. He's certainly not overrated heh.

John Petrucci - A good guitarist a lyricist, but he's just not the God everyone makes him out to be. He's good at playing, he can shred, and his riffs are pretty cool, but everyone says he's a "Guitar God" and the best guitarist ever. Which is not true. Plenty of prog and power metal guitarists sound like him.

John Myung - Probably the least known of the band, he's a pretty good bassist and wrote a few songs for DT. I like his basswork, and he can play pretty fast, he just doesn't do so on most of DT's material for some reason. He also loves Tool so much he ripped the 46 & 2 bass line.

Mike Portnoy - He's the most overrated of the band in my opinion. He's not Drum God at all. And he compares himself to Peart, which he should'nt. He's nowhere near as good. I understand that he may have been heavily influenced by Peart, but he's nothing compared to him.

Kevin Moore - Keyboard player for the first two albums, he's pretty good. I like his solos and leads. He never does anything really incredible though.

Derek Sheri-what's it - Keyboardist for Falling Into Infinity. He doesn't do much at all, he's the worst of their three keyboard players.

Jordan Rudess - Current keyboardist, also plays for Liquid Tension Experiment. He's the best keyboardist they've had in my opinion. He's very good, and I would compare his playing to Rick Wakeman and Jon Lord.

All in all they're a good band, some of the musicians are a bit overrated. Especially Portnoy. But hey, you can't please them all...

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 8 2005, 10:46 AM)
He also loves Tool so much he ripped the 46 & 2 bass line.

I realised that when I heard 46&2 laugh.gif

"Home", isn't it?

I really like LaBrie's voice.. Guess I'm in the minority there.

DT is a bit of an enigma... Everything I've heard from them I love.. (Which consists of the Albums Images and Words, Awake, and the 23 minute song "A Change of Season")

I can see why some don't like them, and I can see how some would say they are just overrated musician.. But still, I like them. I'll need to hear some of there more recent stuff before I'd go and see them.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 8 2005, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 8 2005, 12:42 AM)
what all have you heard by DT?

Everything but Octivarium.

really? and you don't at least think their older stuff has soul? hmm....wel to each his own i guess.

MD: what the hell? You don't like James's voice? geeze, i'm with Earthshine, i think his voice is AMAZING!

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 8 2005, 10:46 AM)
James LaBrie - Everybody hates him, but I like his vocals.. They're not special or anything, but I think he's pretty good. He's certainly not overrated heh.

It says that I like his vocals. I don't hate him at all, he's a very good vocalist. Plus, he's Canadian!

I've said this a million times, but this is turning into another DT bashing thread, so I'll have another go...to me, DT seems like they want to BE Rush...especially Portnoy. And they WOULD be a good fourth-rate tribute band, if the only albums Rush had ever made were 2112 and Hemispheres...DT basically focuses on the 20-minute-epic/odd-time-time signature aspect of prog rock, but none of the innovations, or the creativity. The genre is called "PROGRESSIVE" rock MEANING evolution or forward movement, and DT stiffly and expertly recreates things that other people have already done. Kazz is right....DT is really a band of Yngwie Malmsteens, just soloing all the time for the sake of showing off.

LeBrie...on their Change of Seasons live album, he really proves my point of him having no voice of his own. They do a Zeppelin medley, and he sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. They do Bohemian Rhapsody, and he sounds EXACTLY like Freddie Mercury. They do Journey, Genesis, etc. and he sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry/Phil Collins/whoever. HE HAS NO VOICE OF HIS OWN. HIS voice? Generic, insipid operatic-metal voice...worse than Ronnie James Dio, if that's possible.

Archived