Radio Preview of Headlong Flight April 11th?

rushgoober

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/04/04...-release-update

We learned last week that Headlong Flight is the title of the first single that will be released from Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album. Roadrunner began shopping the single out to various folks in the radio industry last Wednesday setting the Twittersphere abuzz with reactions - all very positive. The track is about 7.5 minutes long and has been described as epic by those who have heard it along with some comparisons to By-tor and the Snow Dog and mid-70s Rush. You can read all the reactions in this post. I'd initially heard that the single will be released to radio on April 19th but now have some more details. Apparently there will be a very limited (probably just a one-off spin) preview release on select stations next Wednesday, April 11th. Then the track will be released on a limited number of stations April 19-20th. The general radio release along with a digital release on iTunes and other formats will occur on Tuesday, April 24th. More information as I learn it.

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. Now I have to figure out how to justify taking the day off work. "I have to scan the radio for the new Rush single! I might be in if they play it early in the morning." Don't see that going over well. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 4 2012, 06:11 PM)
Great. Now I have to figure out how to justify taking the day off work. "I have to scan the radio for the new Rush single! I might be in if they play it early in the morning." Don't see that going over well. laugh.gif

Just find someone who will be home who will be able to record it off an internet broadcast and who will send it to you. wink.gif

Seriously though, I know I won't be available that day either, but if this really does happen, SOMEONE will capture it and make it available somehow, someway, don't ya think?

I can appreciate them not letting the song leak prior to this, but once it's out there to this degree, it'll be hard to put the genie back in the bottle...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 4 2012, 09:16 PM)
It'll be captured and uploaded to sharing sites within minutes of the first play on radio - and it'll be from an online streaming source, not holding up a tape recorder to an FM radio wink.gif lol

laugh.gif goodpost.gif old.gif

It'll be captured and uploaded to sharing sites within minutes of the first play on radio - and it'll be from an online streaming source, not holding up a tape recorder to an FM radio wink.gif lol

I know, I'm not THAT technologically backwards! (We do have color TV).

I just want to hear the "official" debut.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 4 2012, 05:23 PM)

laugh.gif goodpost.gif old.gif

No sh**,

Why waste your time waiting to hear it on a station that is not in the loop to play it. It should be on all the stations that want to play it. Not just a selected few. biggrin.gif

Edited by troutman

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2012, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 4 2012, 06:11 PM)
Great.  Now I have to figure out how to justify taking the day off work.  "I have to scan the radio for the new Rush single!  I might be in if they play it early in the morning."  Don't see that going over well.    laugh.gif

Just find someone who will be home who will be able to record it off an internet broadcast and who will send it to you. wink.gif

Seriously though, I know I won't be available that day either, but if this really does happen, SOMEONE will capture it and make it available somehow, someway, don't ya think?

I can appreciate them not letting the song leak prior to this, but once it's out there to this degree, it'll be hard to put the genie back in the bottle...

Hey Goober, you're a DJ where's your copy?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Apr 4 2012, 10:32 PM)
This is just another reminder of how antiquated the record industry's promotional techniques are. The minute it gets premiered on one radio station it'll be all over the internet and the "regular" radio release date will be meaningless.

Tru Dat!

yes.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 4 2012, 08:16 PM)

Don't laugh...I have a cassette with Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly, and Rush doing Force Ten that I got off the radio when they debuted them! (although it was 'DI' not by holding a cassette player up to the speakers) rofl3.gif

I'm looking forward to people posting it onto the internet. Of course I'll buy the single when it becomes available, but the sooner I can hear this song the better.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Apr 5 2012, 07:10 PM)

Don't laugh...I have a cassette with Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly, and Rush doing Force Ten that I got off the radio when they debuted them! (although it was 'DI' not by holding a cassette player up to the speakers) rofl3.gif

Heck, I still have cassettes of top 40 radio I recorded in 1982-1984 when I was 14-16 before I was really able to buy my own music. Quite a time capsule. At the time I hated having to fast forward through all the commercials and DJs talking and all that but after all this time that's actually the best part! laugh.gif Pure nostalgia.

Oh, I'm not laughing, believe me. I've got very strong memories of the basement of the house I grew up in, recording things off the radio onto a black tape recorder. To this day, I can describe that tape recorder in great detail - from the shape of the buttons to the orange Record button set into the Play button that you had to push simultaneously. Two songs come to mind: Genesis' That's All and Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, so I guess that puts it at about 1983, when I was 8.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 5 2012, 07:30 PM)

Oh, I'm not laughing, believe me. I've got very strong memories of the basement of the house I grew up in, recording things off the radio onto a black tape recorder. To this day, I can describe that tape recorder in great detail - from the shape of the buttons to the orange Record button set into the Play button that you had to push simultaneously. Two songs come to mind: Genesis' That's All and Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, so I guess that puts it at about 1983, when I was 8.

Haha! I'm pretty sure That's All is one of the songs on my tapes, always loved that song. smile.gif Like you said, I could look them up but I'm pretty sure both of those were in 1982/1983.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 5 2012, 08:12 PM)
I'm looking forward to people posting it onto the internet. Of course I'll buy the single when it becomes available, but the sooner I can hear this song the better.

yes.gif

As soon as the single is released to radio, it will be on the internet pretty soon after that. There's really no point in listening to the radio on the off chance they play it because the odds are very good, at lest in my area, that they won't play it at all. Which is sad because 20 years ago the one local station used to play everything from Rush, old or new it didn't matter, if it was a single from Rush it got played to death.

"If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails."

HAHA, easily my two least favorite Rush albums by a fair margin (though I do LIKE CoS). Still makes me excited to hear the album.

I have been gladly putting up with the marketing of CA by Roadrunner records until I read this on RIAB

" It sounds like only the radio-edit will be available for digital purchase until the album itself is released."

Are you f***ing kidding me? We have to buy a shitty edited down version then wait for the album to buy the album version? I mean I'm not buying it, I will just let one someone else buy it and post it online then listen to it. But to want us to buy the edited version THEN buy the long version on the album? That kinda annoys the shit out of me.

For some reason it didn't bother me as much after I thought about it that we would hear the radio edit, then have to wait for the album for the real song, but to make the radio edit available so we will all want to buy it just to have it, then get the original version. I think they are going overboard on this. I would think it would be reasonable to have the radio edit out their, but don't sell it. Enough people will record it and leak it out to us. But to sell the f***ing radio edit? f**k off RR.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:32 PM)
You don't have to buy the radio edit. wink.gif

Because it will be on Youtube of course!

I know, but of course I'd want it on my mp3 player, computer and burned to CD.

It's just getting annoying at this point. And I have been one to say "hey, let them do their thing (RR), RUSH deserves this". But making the fans, which I damn well know I will drop the $ for the "radio edit" and then buy the album, is just is annoying. I'd rather them not have released the radio edit for sale, just let it be out there for people to put on youtube. But to have a shitty edited version for sale? Then again, some idiots who only have an attention span of 4 mins will probably only want the radio edit. If they downloaded the song and it was 7 mins long, they'd be "what's all this drumming and solo stuff".

Oh well. It just pissed me off for a second. I know I'll end up buying it and I think that is what pisses me off.