Dream Theater

RushRevisited

I asked the exact same question on CP in June - I'd never heard them before, but noticed the name coming up again and again so made some enquiries.

I bought two albums, which were superb

Metropolis 2 - Scenes from a Memory & Images and Words.

Excellent stuff

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 13 2005, 07:15 PM)
I asked the exact same question on CP in June - I'd never heard them before, but noticed the name coming up again and again so made some enquiries.

Excellent stuff

Metropolis 2 - Scenes from a Memory & Images and Words. Is this two albums? Mtropolis 2 and Scenes?

Are there any other DVDs of them out?

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 14 2005, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 13 2005, 07:15 PM)

Excellent stuff

Metropolis 2 - Scenes from a Memory & Images and Words. Is this two albums? Mtropolis 2 and Scenes?

Are there any other DVDs of them out?

"Metropolis 2 - Scenes from a Memory" is one album

http://www.dreamtheater.net/covers/sfam.jpg

Official site discography-

Dream Theater Discography

Wow RR! I just did the same exact thing this week! I borrowed my brother-in-laws' copy of "Images and Words" and have been listening all week in the truck! Never had the opportunity to hear them before. I had the same reaction... WOW! Very talented indeed!!

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 13 2005, 07:58 PM)
Wow RR!  I just did the same exact thing this week!  I borrowed my brother-in-laws' copy of "Images and Words" and have been listening all week in the truck!  Never had the opportunity to hear them before.  I had the same reaction... WOW!  Very talented indeed!!

AFan you have GOT to see this dvd!

I'm not a big DT fan, but I love Portnoy. The guy is astounding.

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 13 2005, 07:58 PM)
Wow RR!  I just did the same exact thing this week!  I borrowed my brother-in-laws' copy of "Images and Words" and have been listening all week in the truck!  Never had the opportunity to hear them before.  I had the same reaction... WOW!  Very talented indeed!!

Check this out - I will prob. remove it tomorrow (or tonight if it kills bandwidth), but this is a little clip I captured. It may take a while to download, its 9 megs.

http://www.therushforum.com/AV01132005_220145.mpg

This is the DVD

Imo We must dinguish between 2 bands:

The old Dream Theater,with Kevin Moore,who created a masterpiece called "Images & Words"

The current Dream Theater,an average prog-metal band.

P.s:Red Barchetta sung by LaBrie is awesome.

QUOTE (hap @ Jan 14 2005, 03:18 PM)
Imo We must dinguish between 2 bands:
The old Dream Theater,with Kevin Moore,who created a masterpiece called "Images & Words"
The current Dream Theater,an average prog-metal band.
P.s:Red Barchetta sung by LaBrie is awesome.

Well, to each his own. I tried to get into the old DT stuff many years back and just didn't like it at all. By contrast, I LOVE their newer stuff, '97 onwards, and would highly recommend them to anyone who is into challenging music played by overwhelmingly talented musicians.

That said, I have two big complaints:

1. James LaBrie seems like a decent guy and certainly has a passion for what he does, but I just really do not like his vocal style. (But the music is strong enough to appeal despite his vocals.)

2. There's at least one completely lame cheesefest ballad on every album. I literally find at least one track on almost every album completely unlistenable. But I LOVE the rest!

BTW -- I saw these guys open for Yes a couple years back, and they played "Machine Messiah." Sweet!

Awake. A f*ckin' masterpiece.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/87/Dream_theater_awake.jpg/200px-Dream_theater_awake.jpg

In case no one noticed, this is an old thread that tangy bumped. R.R. is a big Dream Theater fan, this thread had me scratching my head for a minute.

Archived