Favorite to Least Favorite: Grace Under Pressure

Blue Baby Dragon

I've tried this before with a small group of friends before, and I think the overall idea works out great. I was curious how it would work on a big forum such as this.

Basically, I'll take all of the songs on an album (in this case, Grace Under Pressure), and we'll each list them from our favorite to least favorite on the album. Because you're ranking the songs on the album against one another, it doesn't matter how much you like/dislike the album against Rush's other albums.

I'll update the list of "scores" whenever I get a chance (hopefully every 4 or 5 posts).

Here's how scoring works:

When someone new posts their list, each song gets a number of points equal to (N + 1) - P, where N is the number of songs on the album and P is the song's position on that person's list. (It'll be easier to understand once you see it in action)

No songs ever lose any points; the songs that people (as a whole) dislike more simply don't gain as many points.

RULES

- Don't vote something low (or high) just because it's popular, and don't vote something low (or high) just because it's unpopular. Be honest to what you actually feel about the songs.

- Don't try to "beat the system" by putting a song that you really feel should be third in last instead because it's "winning too much" or something like that. It's kind of hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean. The point of this is for us all to be as "true" as possible, not to strategically make sure your favorite song is in first.

- Don't do anything like refuse to list tracks because they "suck so much," tie tracks, or put something "extra high." Every song on the album must be on your list; it doesn't matter how much you like/hate a song OVERALL, it only matters how much you like it compared to the other songs on the album. I know it's difficult to put something last (or if you love the album a whole lot, even to put something low), but that's part of the challenge and part of what makes this so interesting and fun.

- Please wait for me to make future topics in this "series." I'll gradually add more if this does well enough, but they'll seem less focused if too many begin at once.

Edited by Blue Baby Dragon

I'll put how many points each one is gaining to illustrate the concept, but you don't have to do that (though it does help me out a lot. smile.gif )

1. Distant Early Warning (+8)

2. Between the Wheels (+7)

3. Red Lenses (+6)

4. The Enemy Within (+5)

5. Red Sector A (+4)

6. Afterimage (+3)

7. The Body Electric (+2)

8. Kid Gloves (+1)

I imagine my opinion on this album is pretty normal except for the fact that I have Red Lenses so high, heh.

My favourite album btw. Despite Kid Gloves being bottom, I still like it. Its just the way the ranking worked out. I prefer live versions of Red Sector A, and as such its ranked a little lower, otherwise it would be higher up.

Afterimage

Between the Wheels

The Body Electric

The Enemy Within

Red Sector A

Distant Early Warning

Red Lenses

Kid Gloves

SCORES

Afterimage: 24

Distant Early Warning: 22

Between the Wheels: 22

The Enemy Within: 21

Red Sector A: 17

The Body Electric: 15

Red Lenses: 13

Kid Gloves: 10

In the future, whatever you put at the top is what I assume you're giving the most points. (I already cleared this up with Rolinda; hers are in the correct order she wanted them in and they got the correct amount of points.)

In fact, it helps me if you put the number of points each is gaining beside it.

QUOTE (Blue Baby Dragon @ Jan 13 2007, 10:30 PM)
SCORES

Afterimage: 24
Distant Early Warning: 22
Between the Wheels: 22
The Enemy Within: 21
Red Sector A: 17
The Body Electric: 15
Red Lenses: 13
Kid Gloves: 10

In the future, whatever you put at the top is what I assume you're giving the most points. (I already cleared this up with Rolinda; hers are in the correct order she wanted them in and they got the correct amount of points.)

In fact, it helps me if you put the number of points each is gaining beside it.

oh sorreh, i didn't realize that i was supposed to post the running total for each song doh.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 14 2007, 12:46 AM)
oh sorreh, i didn't realize that i was supposed to post the running total for each song  doh.gif

smile.gif

No, you don't have to give the totals. I was just pointing out how you putting the numbers in reverse order helped me out (but adding +3 after them or something and just numbering them normally in front might be less confusing).

SCORES

Between the Wheels: 38

Afterimage: 37

Distant Early Warning: 34

The Enemy Within: 30

Red Sector A: 27

Red Lenses: 18

The Body Electric: 17

Kid Gloves: 15

Here's my choices:

1. The Body Electric

2. The Enemy Within

3. Kid Gloves

4. Between the Wheels

5. Red Sector A (I feel differenly about this song since I now know the meaning behind it)

6. Distant Early Warning

7. Red Lenses

8. Afterimage

What a neat idea Dragon! I've been fiddling around with a Rush game for a while but have been unable to figure out a way to properly explain it. But you seem pretty eloquent there, I'm gonna ask for your help later in explaining my game.

Anyways, on to Grace Under Pressure...

- The Enemy Within

- The Body Electric

- Between the Wheels

- Afterimage

- Distant Early Warning

- red lenses

- Red Sector A

- Kid Gloves

What a great album. I don't listen to it nearly enough, but man, all of those songs rock! It was tough having to put everything in front of Kid Gloves, 'cause I actually think it's an incredibly underrated song, but, after considering it, I realized I still like everything else on the album more.

Cool game! I enjoyed it immensely!

Edited by Finbar

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 15 2007, 03:31 PM)
What a neat idea Dragon! I've been fiddling around with a Rush game for a while but have been unable to figure out a way to properly explain it. But you seem pretty eloquent there, I'm gonna ask for your help later in explaining my game.

Thank you, and I'll try to help you as well as I can.

You putting "Red Lenses" in lowercase is kind of funny, by the way- I almost considered putting it in lowercase (as well as making it red) on the list but I decided not to at the last second. I guess I thought it would look less uniform that way or something.

SCORES

Between the Wheels: 49

The Enemy Within: 45

Afterimage: 43

Distant Early Warning: 41

Red Sector A: 33

The Body Electric: 32

Red Lenses: 23

Kid Gloves: 22

Sorry if I'm updating it a bit too fast.

The Enemy Within

Red Lenses

Distant Early Warning

Between the Wheels

The Body Electric

Afterimage

Red Sector A

Kid Gloves

Nice thread. yes.gif

I will try to listen to this CD next week

and give you my list.

Being a newer 2.gif fan I still haven't

listened to EVERYTHING. But I will get to

this one and let you know what I think. yes.gif

Nice concept here though.

trink39.gif

Favourite: Afterimage

Red Sector A

The Enemy Within

Distant Early Warning

Kid Gloves

The Body Electric

Red Lenses

Least Favourite: Between The Wheels

Tough choice, as it's Rush's masterpiece. Everything from Afterimage to Kid Gloves is nearly equally perfect.

Only Between The Wheels falls clearly behind (blasphemy, I know), although it would still be the best track on Power Windows and the thrid best on HYF.

Edited by barchetta90480