Dream Theater Covers DSotM

progrush2112

Yes, Dream Theater and Pink Floyd fans, DT has indeed covered the entire classic prog rock album "Dark Side of the Moon." Yesterday (10/11/05) at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam, NE

Show notes from Dreamtheater.net: This show marks the third album that Dream Theater has covered in it's entirity - Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". There were two guests for this live performance - Theresa Thomason on vocals and Mike Kidson on sax.

Other albums DT has covered include Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" and Metallica's "Master of Puppets." Maybe sometime in the future they will cover Rush's "Moving Pictures."

1022.gif

Maybe sometime in the future they will cover Rush's "Moving Pictures."

Fingers being scratched down a chalkboard anybody?

Now come on, there are some bands out there whos coveres don't sound like the song at all. Deadsy's "Tom Sawyer" comes to mind. At least DT does it accurately in tribute to the originals.

I am looking forward to hearing it.

In my opinion, DT covering other groups is no different than Rush doing Feedback material live. If their fans dig it, who cares? Whats the harm? I personally think its cool when a group throws in another groups song in a setlist. It can make the show somewhat more memorable if that song is a one or two time deal.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 12 2005, 03:39 PM)

I'm not a fan of dream theater, but liquid tension experiment kicks ass.

I am a little confused by that statement. To me DT is LTE when Labrie is not singing. I am not much of a fan of Labrie but can tolerate him just to get to the solos. Does Tony Levin replacing Myung make that big of a difference to you in terms of the music? Just curious.

Two friends and myself are travelling down to London from Bolton (by plane! ROCK N ROLL!) to watch Dreamtheaters second night at Hammersmith Odean especially to see which classic rock album they cover. (and have two days on the lash as well!)

If anything this adds to the bands appeal for us - when they covered Iron Maidens Number of the Beast they were brilliant. It shows that they are extremely accomplished musicians who like to have some fun on the second date and pay a tribute to bands who have been an influence. As i've said before, on the topic about Dreamtheater covering Rush songs - in Classic Rock magazine when Lifeson was informed about them doing 2112 Grand Finale in their set he said "Cool, those boys sure can play!" Thats good enough for me.

And you don't honestly think that Rush never covered other groups songs do you?

QUOTE (Daggy @ Oct 12 2005, 04:34 PM)
Two friends and myself are travelling down to London from Bolton (by plane! ROCK N ROLL!) to watch Dreamtheaters second night at Hammersmith Odean especially to see which classic rock album they cover. (and have two days on the lash as well!)

If anything this adds to the bands appeal for us - when they covered Iron Maidens Number of the Beast they were brilliant. It shows that they are extremely accomplished musicians who like to have some fun on the second date and pay a tribute to bands who have been an influence. As i've said before, on the topic about Dreamtheater covering Rush songs - in Classic Rock magazine when Lifeson was informed about them doing 2112 Grand Finale in their set he said "Cool, those boys sure can play!" Thats good enough for me.

Neil loves Linkin Park and Madonna...Geddy is a huge fan of Bjork..doesn't mean I'm gonna like them...

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Daggy @ Oct 12 2005, 04:34 PM)

Have an awesome time, I wish I could be there.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 12 2005, 05:06 PM)

I am a little confused by that statement. To me DT is LTE when Labrie is not singing. I am not much of a fan of Labrie but can tolerate him just to get to the solos. Does Tony Levin replacing Myung make that big of a difference to you in terms of the music? Just curious.

Have you ever extensively listenind to LTE? They are MUCH better than DT. The Liquid Tension projects have the best material put out by Petrucci and Rudess (Read: BIAXIDENT!!!), and Tony Levin is wayyyyyy better than Myung.

As for the original topic... I absoluetly cannot believe Dream Theater would cover another band. How dare they! I mean, geez, come on! Nobody does that...

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 12 2005, 08:03 PM)

Have you ever extensively listenind to LTE? They are MUCH better than DT. The Liquid Tension projects have the best material put out by Petrucci and Rudess (Read: BIAXIDENT!!!), and Tony Levin is wayyyyyy better than Myung.

Suprisingly enough I have. I listen to mostly instrumental music so I especially like LTE.

I gotta say I have hard time wrapping my head around the idea that LTE is much better than DT, when LTE is 3 of the current 5 members of DT. I think that when Labrie is not singing, the music made by DT is more similar to LTE than anything else you will ever hear? Is that not right? No doudt Levin is the superior bass player and I never meant to slight him.

My favorite LTE song is Three Minute Warning.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 12 2005, 09:16 PM)

Suprisingly enough I have. I listen to mostly instrumental music so I especially like LTE.

I gotta say I have hard time wrapping my head around the idea that LTE is much better than DT, when LTE is 3 of the current 5 members of DT. I think that when Labrie is not singing, the music made by DT is more similar to LTE than anything else you will ever hear? Is that not right? No doudt Levin is the superior bass player and I never meant to slight him.

My favorite LTE song is Three Minute Warning.

I have the Dream Theater albums When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words, Falling Into Infinity and Octavarium. And I have Liquid Tension Experiment II. And in my opinion, LTEII sounds different (and much better) then any of those DT albums.

I've never heard LTEI, so I don't know the song "Three Minute Warning".

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 12 2005, 08:49 PM)

I can not say which is better but if you like 2, I think you would like 1 also.

3 minute warning is a 28 minute, one take improv that finishes out the disc.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 12 2005, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 12 2005, 08:49 PM)

I can not say which is better but if you like 2, I think you would like 1 also.

3 minute warning is a 28 minute, one take improv that finishes out the disc.

28? Shit man... And I thought When the Water Breaks owned...

As for the original topic... I absoluetly cannot believe Dream Theater would cover another band. How dare they! I mean, geez, come on! Nobody does that...

MD, i think the odd cover song is fine, or, 4 songs by DIFFERENT bands. But a whole album??? It's like they have to do that to reel the money in, and can't be proper artists in their own right, regardless of whether they release albums or not.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 13 2005, 12:41 PM)

MD, i think the odd cover song is fine, or, 4 songs by DIFFERENT bands. But a whole album??? It's like they have to do that to reel the money in, and can't be proper artists in their own right, regardless of whether they release albums or not.

Well, DT's shows are always very long. So if they want to add an extra 45 minutes to play some classic album, then it's fine with me.

And I'm sure the majority of Floyd fans on this forum would've enjoyed hearing them play Dark Side...

Here's my two cents on covers.

Retrospective covers like Rush did are good.

If your a band like dream theater, and you want to cover a lesser known song by a great band like "tears." Go right ahead.

BUT QUIT!..

Please QUIT

murdering classics....The band did it right the first time, it does not need to be done again.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 13 2005, 06:19 PM)
Here's my two cents on covers.

Retrospective covers like Rush did are good.

If your a band like dream theater, and you want to cover a lesser known song by a great band like "tears." Go right ahead.

BUT QUIT!..

Please QUIT

murdering classics....The band did it right the first time, it does not need to be done again.

I'm sure they played it exactly like Floyd did.

Archived