Teeth Talk

Saint NIck

This is gonna be a weird one for Y'all, but how many of us still have our wisdom teeth; mine were removed this past Wednesday morning. I have a super bad gag reflex, so my dentist-friend referred me to an oral surgeon. Not having dental insurance didn't help matters; but I was able to come up with the funding; fortunately the prescribed medication were covered, and didn't cost me an arm & a leg...only teeth. So, I arrive in the exam room, they hook me up with monitor pads, check my blood pressure, get an IV started through my left hand, put some eye shields on me and finally also hook up a nose-gas hose. I hear, "Alright, Nick, take a couple deep breaths through your nose..." and I did, and I was out. I'm telling you, it was so very much like travelling at warp speed into a dark tunnel into a large black hole...kinda like our Cygnus X 1. I was in big-time serious dreamland; I knew something was going on; I could hear and at one point I was awaken and just saw personnel in the room. That might've been the time when, I was told afterwards, that I somehow had a reflex while the surgeon had the scalpel in his hand; nothing bad. Fortunately, I couldn't feel anything, but I could hear a whole lot going on...almost like a tornado going through my mouth. A few minutes later when they done, I was feeling big time loopy, droopy and seeing double; I was all messed up...but on my way to making things right...taking care of myself. I'm on some big-time heavy meds and they're helping with the post-op & recovery process; go back for a follow-up visit Wednesday afternoon. On a late Friday night, there's soreness and the only pain is that snacks & foods that I crave have to wait...about a month.
  • Like 2

I had all four cut out. There were totally horizontal. It was a horrible experience.

And then, right afterwards, they asked me if I wanted to take the teeth home with me. HELL NO!!! I barked at them..... :facepalm:

• Like 2

I had all four out in my twenties. I had a job with insurance at the time, otherwise I'd still have 'em. Not really, I probably would have saved up like you because they were really pushing on my molars and it hurt like hell. 3 healed fine right away, the other kept hurting. I went in two weeks later and the Dr. said, "Oh! I left gauze in there! I'll take it out and you'll be fine." And my parents wonder why I don't like to go to the Dr., any kind. :D Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Take it slow Saint Nick

I had mine out Also in my 20's about 20 years ago, I had 2 I think, that were horizontal.

I had an IV and was out, I remember waking up halfway thru it, and although I know this wasn't the case it appeared the oral surgeon was standing and had a tool similar to someone digging for gold in the rocks.

I swear he was chiseling like an old miner in the old west.

I also apparently asked the hygentist out for drinks when I woke up...probably all blooded ..etc...HA

My Dad had to drive me home, I was in la la land.....

• Like 2

This is gonna be a weird one for Y'all, but how many of us still have our wisdom teeth; mine were removed this past Wednesday morning. I have a super bad gag reflex, so my dentist-friend referred me to an oral surgeon. Not having dental insurance didn't help matters; but I was able to come up with the funding; fortunately the prescribed medication were covered, and didn't cost me an arm & a leg...only teeth. So, I arrive in the exam room, they hook me up with monitor pads, check my blood pressure, get an IV started through my left hand, put some eye shields on me and finally also hook up a nose-gas hose. I hear, "Alright, Nick, take a couple deep breaths through your nose..." and I did, and I was out. I'm telling you, it was so very much like travelling at warp speed into a dark tunnel into a large black hole...kinda like our Cygnus X 1. I was in big-time serious dreamland; I knew something was going on; I could hear and at one point I was awaken and just saw personnel in the room. That might've been the time when, I was told afterwards, that I somehow had a reflex while the surgeon had the scalpel in his hand; nothing bad. Fortunately, I couldn't feel anything, but I could hear a whole lot going on...almost like a tornado going through my mouth. A few minutes later when they done, I was feeling big time loopy, droopy and seeing double; I was all messed up...but on my way to making things right...taking care of myself. I'm on some big-time heavy meds and they're helping with the post-op & recovery process; go back for a follow-up visit Wednesday afternoon. On a late Friday night, there's soreness and the only pain is that snacks & foods that I crave have to wait...about a month.

I still have my wisdom teeth and being in my mid 50's, I imagine I'll be dying with them (hopefully not any time soon). At the other end of my dental life, the first time I had a filling, they gave me the Nitrous Oxide. The only thing I remember is the procedure seemed to go much faster than it did. As I walked with my mom to the car, I asked her how long it took and she said about 20 minutes but it seemed to me it took just a few minutes.

Never had it since or any other anesthesia other than local.

• Like 2

Had surgery to remove all four. Don't recall anything about it, just had chipmunk cheeks for about two days and dry socket, very painful. (Means no blood clot in the hole) Had to have them repacked with clove smelling dressing. And that was that.
  • Like 2

Had surgery to remove all four. Don't recall anything about it, just had chipmunk cheeks for about two days and dry socket, very painful. (Means no blood clot in the hole) Had to have them repacked with clove smelling dressing. And that was that.

The mention of dry socket just made me wince! :o :hug2:

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought it was because I smoked at the time, but have had teeth removed since and I always get dry socket. Come to find out by accident (having a blood test for something else) that I am anemic and most likely the reason why I don't clot well.

Exciting. Not.

Yeah, I thought it was because I smoked at the time, but have had teeth removed since and I always get dry socket. Come to find out by accident (having a blood test for something else) that I am anemic and most likely the reason why I don't clot well.

Exciting. Not.

Ouch.....! :o

• Like 1

Still have ever single one of my teeth. At my age, my dentist said that's amazing. Smile. Smile. Smile. :D

That is amazing.

I had three of mine out in 1997 on a dark January afternoon, after waiting in a dark and empty ward with an episode of Quincy playing on the TV. The one where he finds a human jawbone in the desert...

The one I still have, bottom left, doesn't give me any problems. The x-ray revealed that's blocked by the tooth next to it way below the gumline.

I had all four cut out. There were totally horizontal. It was a horrible experience.

And then, right afterwards, they asked me if I wanted to take the teeth home with me. HELL NO!!! I barked at them..... :facepalm:

I've got mine! There's a piece of my jaw stuck between the roots of one. Looks like a little piece of cement.

• Like 1

I had all four of mine removed because they were squeezing my teeth together and there wasn't enough room for them.

Don't you just have a beak?

That actually took me a minute to figure out. :LOL: Well played sir, well played.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I had all four of mine removed because they were squeezing my teeth together and there wasn't enough room for them.

Don't you just have a beak?

That actually took me a minute to figure out. :LOL: Well played sir, well played.

:LOL: