My short book review of The Guns of August

Dread Pirate Robert

Extremely short book review: I had knowledge of the existence of a book called The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman for many years (a book concentrating on the critical first month of WWI) and its high reputation as a work of history, but never read it until recently after I found a copy in a used book store a couple of weeks ago and bought it.

I have to say, it deserves every bit of the praise that has been heaped upon it over the years. It is easily one of the finest, if not THE finest, history books I have ever read. Barbara Tuchman wrote a masterpiece with that book. It is wonderfully clear, lucid, deeply informative, and beautifully written with a downright poetic style and many a masterful turn of phrase or deep insight. Barbara Tuchman moves easily from the perspective of one participant to another, from the highest ranking political and military figures to that of that of the lowest ranking common soldiers or the ordinary civilians caught up in it, so that the whole thing is brought vividly to life.

I can't say enough about how wonderful a work of history this book is. Magnificent.

• Like 2

“So gorgeous was the spectacle on the May morning of 1910 when nine kings rode in the funeral of Edward VII of England that the crowd, waiting in hushed and black-clad awe, could not keep back gasps of admiration. In scarlet and blue and green and purple, three by three the sovereigns rode through the palace gates, with plumed helmets, gold braid, crimson sashes, and jeweled orders flashing in the sun. After them came five heirs apparent, forty more imperial or royal highnesses, seven queens - four dowager and three regnant - and a scattering of special ambassadors from uncrowned countries. Together they represented seventy nations in the greatest assemblage of royalty and rank ever gathered in one place and, of its kind, the last. The muffled tongue of Big Ben tolled nine by the clock as the cortege left the palace, but on history's clock it was sunset, and the sun of the old world was setting in a dying blaze of splendor never to be seen again.”

Amazing stuff.

• Like 3

“So gorgeous was the spectacle on the May morning of 1910 when nine kings rode in the funeral of Edward VII of England that the crowd, waiting in hushed and black-clad awe, could not keep back gasps of admiration. In scarlet and blue and green and purple, three by three the sovereigns rode through the palace gates, with plumed helmets, gold braid, crimson sashes, and jeweled orders flashing in the sun. After them came five heirs apparent, forty more imperial or royal highnesses, seven queens - four dowager and three regnant - and a scattering of special ambassadors from uncrowned countries. Together they represented seventy nations in the greatest assemblage of royalty and rank ever gathered in one place and, of its kind, the last. The muffled tongue of Big Ben tolled nine by the clock as the cortege left the palace, but on history's clock it was sunset, and the sun of the old world was setting in a dying blaze of splendor never to be seen again.”

Amazing stuff.

Now I definitely have to re-read this.

Thanks a lot, a-hole!

:-D

• Like 1

Amazing stuff.

Never heard of this, but on the basis of that magnificent piece of prose, I will definitely be checking it out.

• Like 1

Amazing stuff.

Now I definitely have to re-read this.

Thanks a lot, a-hole!

:-D

I will definitely re-read it this winter. :yes:

Amazing stuff.

Never heard of this, but on the basis of that magnificent piece of prose, I will definitely be checking it out.

That was the first paragraph of chapter I.

• Like 1