Blair Witch is back

custom55

"A new beginning for horror films"

Err.. Was that quote stolen from a review for the original? :D

I never liked Blair Witch in the slightest, and although it popularized the found footage genre, it was in no way the first... People actually apparently believed that the movie was "real", which I find hilarious. At least with Cannibal Holocaust (the very first major found footage film which even to this day holds up in being one of the most graphic horror films) was believable in being based completely in reality.

Screw The Blair Witch Project and screw Hollywood for doing nothing but rehashing and remaking previous films. Remakes have effectively killed the horror genre, it's rare we get any new and interesting horror films anymore.

I thought The Blair Witch Project was awful. I walked out of the theater regretting my decision.

Same here. I thought it was awful and the camerawork gave me a headache.

I love the original - simple and independent, with one of the best endings ever

In hindsight, it is easy to find fault because it is so simple, but it was an ingenious little film, much more effective IMHO than Last Broadcast or Cannibal Holocaust ..

The Blair Witch Project owes more to Algernon Blackwood's The Willows than it does the other films

Anyways, not too excited about this remake / whatever it is .... The original was a exciting moment in film history and made its mark

• Like 3

In hindsight, it is easy to find fault because it is so simple, but it was an ingenious little film, much more effective IMHO than Last Broadcast or Cannibal Holocaust ..

The Blair Witch Project owes more to Algernon Blackwood's The Willows than it does the other films

Anyways, not too excited about this remake / whatever it is .... The original was a exciting moment in film history and made its mark

I was in my late 20s or early 30s when it came out, and I was still completely freaked out by it. The last 5 minutes were completely nerve wracking. And that last scene was amazing.

• Like 4

I was in my late 20s or early 30s when it came out, and I was still completely freaked out by it. The last 5 minutes were completely nerve wracking. And that last scene was amazing.

I agree completely ... The ending was psychologically very disturbing, and with all that lead up to it, I think initially it went over a lot of people heads ( even though the entire film is so simple )

I remember seeing it in the theater, and after it was over and the lights came on, some people next to me were saying how bad the entire movie was and "Why was he just standing there ?" in regards to the end

Oh well

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

I agree completely ... The ending was psychologically very disturbing, and with all that lead up to it, I think initially it went over a lot of people heads ( even though the entire film is so simple )

I remember seeing it in the theater, and after it was over and the lights came on, some people next to me were saying how bad the entire movie was and "Why was he just standing there ?" in regards to the end

Oh well

I know, it's amazing, isn't it?

Most people completely missed the subtletities about the last few minutes of the film which made it so chilling, and it's only when you explain it to them, they go "oh yeah, right enough"

• Like 2

I saw it in the theater. During the day hours. I remember walking out feeling creeped out. I'll always defend Blair witch.

• Like 3

Oh well

One of the best endings to a horror film. Completely chilling and effective.

I have found that folks who saw it in the theater upon its release have a more positive opinion about it.

• Like 2

I went to see it on hype alone, knowing nothing about it. It totally had me fooled, and by the end I was freaked the f&*^ out. Mind you, I was a bit of a horror buff at that point in my life (was in my early 20s).

But I've not seen it since. Why would I? It's all about the ending, and knowing the ending spoils repeat viewings.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Oh well

One of the best endings to a horror film. Completely chilling and effective.

I have found that folks who saw it in the theater upon its release have a more positive opinion about it.

My then girlfriend, now wife, and I saw it over in Cambridge. I think I put every light in the apartment on after we got home. For 3 days.

• Like 1

Oh well

I don't understand how you CAN'T see why that last shot, sideways no less, is so f-Ing scary.

• Like 2

BWP was a complete waste of 90 minutes that I will never get back. It's worse than when your uncle video tapes his camping trip and makes you watch it because at least you're watching a family video about a pointless camping trip.

The quality of your uncle's camping trip home video is better as well.

The original was rubbish.

Sequel was worse.

Who even cares?

• Like 1

The original BWP has to be the most profitable film in history. I was curious, so looked up the exact stats on IMDB.

$60,000 budget. Over $140 MILLION earnings in the US alone.

That is utterly insane!

The original BWP has to be the most profitable film in history. I was curious, so looked up the exact stats on IMDB.

That is utterly insane!

How in the hell did they spend $60,000 making that? I could have done it with less than $100. (Use a borrowed GoPro, gas, food, sticks for the fire, hire some kids to make scary sounds and tell the "actors" you'll take them out for pizza when it's done.)

That is utterly insane!

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

• Like 1

"A new beginning for horror films"

Err.. Was that quote stolen from a review for the original? :D

I never liked Blair Witch in the slightest, and although it popularized the found footage genre, it was in no way the first... People actually apparently believed that the movie was "real", which I find hilarious.

I assume you were too young to remember when BWP came out, right? From an advertising and marketing perspective, it was smart. The Internet was still pretty new then so that helped too.