The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Lucas

Condemned2bfree had made mention of this incident in a previous thread, and ironically, I had just started reading a book ( Donnie Eichar's "Dead Mountain" ) about it when I saw his post ..

Is anyone else familiar with The Dyatlov Pass Incident ??

While I hesitate to use the word "fascinating" because the story is so sad and tragic, what happened to nine hikers in 1959 while in the Ural Mountains is about as perplexing and interesting as a story gets ..

Just when this case seems to have a answer or be headed to a reasonable conclusion, there are other facts that will completely contradict what seems understood and solved ..

Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys anything mystery or conspiracy related ..

Here are the basics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

• Like 1

While there seems to be endless information and avenues to go down with this incident - not surprising considering that we are talking about a paranoid atmosphere of Cold War fear - this bit is the key:

Another group of hikers (about 50 kilometres south of the incident) reported that they saw strange orange spheres in the night sky to the north on the night of the incident.[2] Similar spheres were observed in Ivdel and adjacent areas continually during the period from February to March 1959, by various independent witnesses (including the meteorology service and the military).

• Like 1

Another bit of info that helps paint the picture is about 37 year old hiker Semyon (Alexander) Alekseevich Zolotariov:

Semyon “Alexander” Zolotarev: Born in 1921, 37-year-old Zolotarev stands out like a sore thumb in our group of tourists. He was the oldest of the hikers and the only one who wasn’t at the time and had never been a student at UPI. Introducing himself as “Sasha,” a nickname for Alexander, he spent time in the Russian military during WWII, between 1941-1946. He apparently impressed enough that he attained the rank of sergeant. In 1946, he transferred to the Leningrad Military Engineering University. Later, he moved to the Minsk Institute of Physical Education. He then began working as a guide at the tourist base Artybash in Altai in Southern Siberia. Later, he became an instructor at the Kourovskaya Tourist Base. There is some speculation that he quit this last job right before the trip that claimed his life, but I have been unable to verify this. Zolotarev was originally supposed to trek across the Urals with a different group, but his mother had fallen ill and he wanted to go visit her. His first group’s itinerary didn’t suit him, so the leader of that trip introduced him to Igor Dyatlov, who welcomed the seasoned tourist into his group with open arms. Many people suspect him of being a KGB agent due to his connections with the military, his constant and seemingly random moving around, his giving of the name “Sasha,” and/or his switching to Dyatlov’s expedition when the itineraries between the two groups only differed by a few days. Although his involvement with the KGB remains unproven, it is a definite possibility. He died on the eve of his 38th birthday.

http://dyatlovincident.com/the-hikers/

Edited by Lucas

I am about to depart the house shortly, but I will read this later. This incident is pretty wild IMO.

Also, I forget exactly which one it was but I play in a progressive rock/metal band and I wrote a set of lyrics based on this incident. Maybe we need to cut it and offer it for listening...

• Like 1

This thread kind of bombed didn't it? :LOL:

Oh man, I'm fighting a serious laughing fit, with tears, breathing trouble and all. :LMAO:

Scariest is the last picture taken by the Dyatlov group. :joker:

• Like 2

This thread kind of bombed didn't it? :LOL:

Oh man, I'm fighting a serious laughing fit, with tears, breathing trouble and all. :LMAO:

Scariest is the last picture taken by the Dyatlov group. :joker:

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/89/57/86/895786c950f502891df65b6f2966d0ad.jpg

• Like 2

I missed this thread when it first started but I do know about this incident. I've seen some stuff about it on TV before. The Discovery channel had a show on it a few years ago. They explored the theory that it was possible that a Yeti was responsible for the wounds that some of the people suffered. I guess there were reports of Yeti's being in that area, otherwise I don't know why they would see that as a possibility.

A number of interesting theories are out there about this. Something unusual definitely happened to these people. The wounds some of them suffered and how the bodies were scattered about shows that they appeared to running from something.

• Like 1

I missed this thread when it first started but I do know about this incident. I've seen some stuff about it on TV before. The Discovery channel had a show on it a few years ago. They explored the theory that it was possible that a Yeti was responsible for the wounds that some of the people suffered. I guess there were reports of Yeti's being in that area, otherwise I don't know why they would see that as a possibility.

A number of interesting theories are out there about this. Something unusual definitely happened to these people. The wounds some of them suffered and how the bodies were scattered about shows that they appeared to running from something.

J2112YYZ, since I posted this thread, I have read another book ( "Don't Go There" ) on the subject with a different theory ..

Both "Dead Mountain" by Donnie Eichar and "Don't Go There" by Svetlana Oss are very worthwhile .. But Oss' book has more researched history, and her theory makes more sense to me ..

The one thing that still remains unanswered is an explanation of the lights that were reported by numerous others around the same time .. Both authors go into some detail describing the lights and the various reports from both other hiking teams and military personnel, but neither has any explanation ... Which makes that last photo in Krivonischenko's camera all the more eerie ..

41CGXtyMytL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51amTaVNC6L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

• Like 1

A fascinating mystery. Remember that hypothermia will drive you to do some oddball things.
  • Like 1