New Metallica song out !

toscanobarga

I give this album a 6/10

I'm surprised by how good this is. But honestly, nothing new here. Which I don't really feel hurts this record one bit. I recommend it actually!

• Like 2

I think at this point getting four or five really good songs is better than I could've hoped for. Production on this one is above average for the times as well. Solid C to C+ for me...
  • Like 3

Solid effort...better than Death Magnetic for me. But I can't help but feel like these guys would rather be doing something else, and are focusing on giving people what they want. Does anybody else get that vibe?
  • Like 3

Solid effort...better than Death Magnetic for me. But I can't help but feel like these guys would rather be doing something else, and are focusing on giving people what they want. Does anybody else get that vibe?

I know what you mean. I played the new album for the first time today & must say it was far better than I thought. I have only heard it once but so far so good.

• Like 1

I liked what I heard on the first time through, but I had to stop listening about 4 tracks away from the end. I need to listen again tonight when I can do so without so many distractions.
  • Like 1

I'm not a huge Metallica fan. On my first listen only Hardwired and Moth to the Flame really stood out and found that about half of the songs sounded samey/cookie cutter metal... which is great when I need fast paced tracks and stay focused on a late night of work so I kept it playing.

Since then I'd say Spit out the Bone is fantastic. I love the section at the end where it goes "Stop breathing and dedicate to me...", Lords of Summer also being pretty good and Atlas Rise being part of the better half of the album.

I still think Moth to the Flame is the best song on the album but I think the hype machine is still in full force here.

• Like 1

Moth to a Flame, Atlas Rise, and the title track so far work for me. Still getting familiar with the rest. This may not see the same amount of play as Death Magnetic, which i found to be better overall.
  • Like 2

I'm diggin' about four songs still. The Dio cover shows this bands musical limitations big time. And for f**k sake can someone take that f***in' wah pedal away from Hammett! Lessons from Satriani? Why doesn't he remember any of them? Oh, and Lars trying to cover any drummer over the age of eight seems like an uphill battle...
  • Like 1

I lost interest after the Black album. YEARS AGO, lol. but after a full first listen. i was blown back that this band made a listenable effort.

but........that does not mean there are not some awful moments on here.

need more listens but........6/10 for me.

and folks......that is a great score for this band, lol

Mick

• Like 3

I don't hear anything awful. I don't. I hear some really great stuff...and some decent b-sides that should have been left as extras
  • Like 3

I'll give the album a 7.

As I said before, if this album was just disc one plus Confusion and Spit Out The Bone it would be much better. The other four songs, while they have some good moments in them just feel largely like filler. I get why they kept them and made it a double album though. After eight years, they probably wanted to get as much stuff out as they could.

My opinion on this album probably won't change much. Metallica is a band where I don't need a lot of listens to decide if what they've done is good or not.

Not sure I like this album as much as Death Magnetic. The production/mixing is certainly ten times better though.

• Like 3

I was just on iTunes and they have a deluxe version on there that includes live songs (old and new) from Berkley, CA from April 2016. It looks tempting, I might have to buy it later.
  • Like 1

I was just on iTunes and they have a deluxe version on there that includes live songs (old and new) from Berkley, CA from April 2016. It looks tempting, I might have to buy it later.

I got that one, and my version includes a few covers as well...most notably, Maiden´s Remember Tomorrow.

• Like 2

I'm quite digging this album - somewhat surprised. I'm an old school fan (up to the Black album) - I guess it's fitting because this album is (again) very thrashy. For me, Death Magnetic was a failed attempt to return to the roots - plenty of thrash, but meandering and non-memorable (not to mention horrid production.) The new album succeeds where DM failed. At first, I much preferred disc 1, but I have to say disc 2 has grown on me. Nice job, all around.
  • Like 1

I'll give the album a 7.

As I said before, if this album was just disc one plus Confusion and Spit Out The Bone it would be much better. The other four songs, while they have some good moments in them just feel largely like filler. I get why they kept them and made it a double album though. After eight years, they probably wanted to get as much stuff out as they could.

My opinion on this album probably won't change much. Metallica is a band where I don't need a lot of listens to decide if what they've done is good or not.

Not sure I like this album as much as Death Magnetic. The production/mixing is certainly ten times better though.

About where I'm at with the album. It's already left my regular rotation (faster than DM did).

• Like 1

I'm quite digging this album - somewhat surprised. I'm an old school fan (up to the Black album) - I guess it's fitting because this album is (again) very thrashy. For me, Death Magnetic was a failed attempt to return to the roots - plenty of thrash, but meandering and non-memorable (not to mention horrid production.) The new album succeeds where DM failed. At first, I much preferred disc 1, but I have to say disc 2 has grown on me. Nice job, all around.

I largely agree except the thrash part. This album to my ears has a mere two thrash cuts.

• Like 1

I largely agree except the thrash part. This album to my ears has a mere two thrash cuts.

Yeah, I'd agree with that - two complete thrash tunes - but I still feel like there's more a spirit of thrash in most songs. I'm not alone in hearing connections to KeA, RtL, MoP, or AJfA. The arrangements feel more crafted (detailed) than other more recent efforts; even if Lars is playing it straight.

• Like 1