New Sonata Arctica Song

Mr. Not

I really got to listen to more SA....so i could chime in more, lol

As soon as i emerge from the flower kings. wheneever that happens, lol

Mick

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them Mick.

Maybe you'll join me in being one of the few who ends up listening to their their prog metal albums more than their power metal albums!

This band goes from being completely structured & coherent for the first four albums and then BAM -- the mastermind of the band (Tony Kakko, lead vocalist and composer) decides to break all the rules and establish his own genre of metal, essentially. It's crazy, and old "fans" have been bitching about it non-stop ever since... But I love it.

Here's a sample of what's in store:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvmYAXXUWs

i just the first album....and the first thing i thought weirdly wow......Kansas on steriods. then i dropped em, lol.

not cause i disliked them......just forgot them, lol

honestly slipped my mind.

Mick

I really got to listen to more SA....so i could chime in more, lol

As soon as i emerge from the flower kings. wheneever that happens, lol

Mick

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them Mick.

Maybe you'll join me in being one of the few who ends up listening to their their prog metal albums more than their power metal albums!

This band goes from being completely structured & coherent for the first four albums and then BAM -- the mastermind of the band (Tony Kakko, lead vocalist and composer) decides to break all the rules and establish his own genre of metal, essentially. It's crazy, and old "fans" have been bitching about it non-stop ever since... But I love it.

Here's a sample of what's in store:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvmYAXXUWs

i just the first album....and the first thing i thought weirdly wow......Kansas on steriods. then i dropped em, lol.

not cause i disliked them......just forgot them, lol

honestly slipped my mind.

Mick

I font hear Kansas anymore...aside from maybe the bombast at times.

Reckoning Night I recommend to you.

Look up the lyric video for Don't Say A Word...and then you try telling me that isn't a masterpiece of a chorus...

• Like 1

Better yet, put two windows side by side.. In one window have the music video open, while in the other you read along with the lyrics.

Like so:

qF0HI.jpg

(also, to be honest.. you guys have always lost me with comparing Sonata to Kansas.. I recall you doing it way back months and months ago, and I simply don't hear it. Maybe you just had Kansas on the mind at the time :joker: )

Better yet, put two windows side by side.. In one window have the music video open, while in the other you read along with the lyrics.

Like so:

qF0HI.jpg

(also, to be honest.. you guys have always lost me with comparing Sonata to Kansas.. I recall you doing it way back months and months ago, and I simply don't hear it. Maybe you just had Kansas on the mind at the time :joker: )

I don't hear it anymore really...but there is a little something I sense that unites them

About the music video: one small detail I love about it is that at the very beginning every band member is still, as if they're an image.. But if you pay attention you can clearly see that Henkka (the keyboardist) tilts his head to the side...

(also, Jani's headbang at 0:41 is majestic)

i listened to the song.......um.....yea it's good.

arghhh.....not geared towards it yet, lol

So just give me time guys, lol

i promise when i've ejected The Flower Kings from my soul i'll have more open-ness.

Mick

• Like 1

i promise when i've ejected The Flower Kings from my soul i'll have more open-ness.

Mick

Before you go: try something a little less heavy and a little more melodic as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWq6cx6Dpxw

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Mick

Before you go: try something a little less heavy and a little more melodic as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWq6cx6Dpxw

that's better.......i guess i'm in less heavy mood lately.

but in the right frame of mind.....i could see me loving this band.

Mick

Here's what the band thinks about their own new song (they speak over an instrumental edit of the song, very cool!)

It is also revealed here that there will be two more singles in addition to "Closer to an Animal" - hopefully they're both released before the album hits and not after... Sometimes they release extra singles off of an album already released for whatever reason.

Tommy at 1:27 perfectly sums up my thoughts! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdvpl9e8aSY

I'm pretty sure that Pasi wrote the kick-ass riff they're talking about in the video. He contributed quite a few great ones to the Pariah's Child album as well. He's really doing great things for this band.

Again:

Power Arctica (Ecliptica - Reckoning Night)

Prog Arctica (Unia - Stones Grow Her Name)

Pasi Arctica (Pariah's Child - Present Date)

Sonata Arctica are gonna boot Within Temptation out of my top three favourite bands...I can sense it.

Well i have to be honest.......i've been slowly working my way through this band.

and Nothis from them was working........like at all. not one spark.

until.........Unia.

What an album...........Maybe i like their prog leanings a little more cause that's what this album has. the power metal phase like has no room breath for me.

It's like.......YEA BITCH HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. much prefer the style change up. the keyboaard player have a very Jordan Rudess DT sound to him

Mick

• Like 2

Well i have to be honest.......i've been slowly working my way through this band.

until.........Unia.

What an album...........Maybe i like their prog leanings a little more cause that's what this album has. the power metal phase like has no room breath for me.

lol. much prefer the style change up. the keyboaard player have a very Jordan Rudess DT sound to him

Mick

Aww makes me feel better for all the bands you love that I am "meh" too!

Haha!

• Like 1

until.........Unia.

Mick

Haha!

it's nightwish all over again, lol. it's just a case where i'm just not to fond of 1 era.

Cause Unia was/is amazing to me.

Mick

until.........Unia.

Mick

Haha!

it's nightwish all over again, lol. it's just a case where i'm just not to fond of 1 era.

Cause Unia was/is amazing to me.

Mick

See...I don't even like Power Metal...I know they have all the tropes but like Nightwish...there is something special about them that stands out.

I would even go as far as to say I sense a strong folk vibe. Strip away the metal and these songs may work even better!

I may even like SA more than Nightwish in time. As in...more than Tarja era (likely not Century Child though).

• Like 1

Although Reckoning Night is already proving to be level with Century Child in my affections...and growing!

until.........Unia.

Mick

Another Unia fan :notworthy:

• Like 1

until.........Unia.

Mick

Another Unia fan :notworthy:

that Album really impressed me. the power metal stuff was like A horny dude wanting to get his rocks off as quickly as possible. it's fun but not particualarly meaningful.

i don't know why that analogy popped up but that's what was in my heart, lol

but.....unia's brilliant.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I really love the song Love, from Pariah's Child.

Uh-oh

That's the only song of theirs which I find to have no redeeming quality... But, then again, I've only listened to it a few times, and it's been a long long while.

Tony himself said that the song was totally out of character for him (and hey, so is Running Lights, lyrically -- but I love that one... musically :LOL: )

I really love the song Love, from Pariah's Child.

Uh-oh

That's the only song of theirs which I find to have no redeeming quality... But, then again, I've only listened to it a few times, and it's been a long long while.

Tony himself said that the song was totally out of character for him (and hey, so is Running Lights, lyrically -- but I love that one... musically :LOL: )

I love a soppy love song.

I want this to be my wedding song lol

It also sounds like an Idlewild ballad, and they are one of my very favourite bands.

Edited by Segue Myles

Easily in my top five European bands of all time now. (Not counting UK bands).

Top two (equal):

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

3. HIM

4. Within Temptation

5. Sonata Arctica

All these bands have killer discographies. Within Temptation and HIM are interchangeable, depending on my mood.

Edited by Segue Myles

Gonna rank the SA albums I am currently most familiar with:

1. Reckoning Night

2. The Days Of Greys

3. Pariah's Child

4. Ecliptica/Revisited

5. Silence

Still have plenty to throw myself into. It is gonna happen so no need to recommend: I am buying it all come payday!

• Like 1

I think My Selene is my current favourite SA tune.

That one was written by Jani Liimatainen, if I'm not mistaking all the other Sonata Arctica songs are written by Tony.

You know what this means, right?

It means you've got another band to check out, this is essentially Jani's power metal solo project since leaving Sonata Arctica after Unia:

https://en.wikipedia...'s_Offering

http://youtu.be/w1s8zvFUbfI

(and since I know you love the symphonic stuff:)

http://youtu.be/4XFECvWQ5ks

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1