New Sonata Arctica Song

Mr. Not

You know...

It's getting some flack...

But I seriously loved that!

Not a single rhyme, a sense of joy, A-ha style synths, really smooth vocals...

I thoroughly enjoyed that!

• Like 1

It's been a while since I binged on Sonata Arctica, but they are excellent!

Not really in love with the last couple of albums but I do enjoy them.

I only listened to like 1 record by them......remembered thinking supped up Kansas and kinda leaving it behind, lol

ok tune though.

Mick

Really? :o I thought you were a big fan like Segue :D

Although I shared it, I actually have yet to listen to this single. Saving the first listen for later tonight.

I only listened to like 1 record by them......remembered thinking supped up Kansas and kinda leaving it behind, lol

ok tune though.

Mick

Really? :o I thought you were a big fan like Segue :D

Although I shared it, I actually have yet to listen to this single. Saving the first listen for later tonight.

i can't really give a verdict i only heard 1 album, lol

Maybe i sould fix that.

Mick

Finished listening to it a second time, love it.

This is the third era of Sonata Arctica if you ask me, and if they do it right it has potential to be their best..

Power Metal

Ecliptica - Reckoning Night

Prog Metal

Unia - Stones Grow Her Name

Pasi Arctica

Pariah's Child - Present

There's no solo of any kind in this song, but there's so much else going on and it's all captivating, so I don't even mind for a change. I used to think of it a sin and a waste of talent for these guys not to include a solo section.

This is the most preachy environmentalist anthem of theirs (they have lots of those :) ) since "Respect The Wilderness".

That commentary at the ending... Holy shit. I love it. This might be the most powerful use of spoken word they've done in any of their songs. Yep, more than "Power Of One" or "Don't Say a Word"

I'm going to have to restrain myself from abusing this song, I would very much appreciate the album be released now :yes:

• Like 1

White Pearl, Black Oceans.

One of the greatest songs of all time. Read the lyrics...it's hard hitting and just so...beautiful.

• Like 1

One of the greatest songs of all time. Read the lyrics...it's hard hitting and just so...beautiful.

I remember I put those lyrics in my book Sophomore year of high school.. My mom found it got concerned, "What's going on in your life right now, Ken?" :facepalm: Still embarrassing to think about. Oh well

"A nightmare awakes me, blinking light!

There's no guide, blind ships in the night

Oh blood red moon, eat away the night

Darkness covers my lonely soul,

No one to feed the dying light..."

Also, there's going to be a sequel to White Pearl, Black Oceans on this upcoming album, so get excited for that :)

01. Closer To An Animal

02. Life

03. Fairytale

04. We Are What We Are

05. Till Death’s Done Us Apart

06. Among The Shooting Stars

07. Rise A Night

08. Fly, Navigate, Communicate

09. Candle Lawns

10. White Pearl, Black Oceans Part II – “By The Grace Of The Ocean”

11. On The Faultline (Closure To An Animal)

12. Run To You

I remember I put those lyrics in my book Sophomore year of high school.. My mom found it got concerned, "What's going on in your life right now, Ken?" :facepalm: Still embarrassing to think about. Oh well

"A nightmare awakes me, blinking light!

There's no guide, blind ships in the night

Oh blood red moon, eat away the night

Darkness covers my lonely soul,

No one to feed the dying light..."

Also, there's going to be a sequel to White Pearl, Black Oceans on this upcoming album, so get excited for that :)

01. Closer To An Animal

02. Life

03. Fairytale

04. We Are What We Are

05. Till Death’s Done Us Apart

06. Among The Shooting Stars

07. Rise A Night

08. Fly, Navigate, Communicate

09. Candle Lawns

10. White Pearl, Black Oceans Part II – “By The Grace Of The Ocean”

11. On The Faultline (Closure To An Animal)

12. Run To You

AAAAHHHHHHH I AM!

I love this band...it's finding the time to just listen to an album is not that easy!

Been binging since coming home from work.

Adore them so much!

• Like 1

I really like the new song.

Don't know how much weight that thought carries though since i'm a newer fan of the band. Only been through their catalog once so far. Saw them open for Nightwish back in February and they were great.

Definitely a band I want to get deeper into but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I really like the new song.

Don't know how much weight that thought carries though since i'm a newer fan of the band. Only been through their catalog once so far. Saw them open for Nightwish back in February and they were great.

Definitely a band I want to get deeper into but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reckoning Night is an awesome start.

And then get the rest of the first four albums...then get everything else.

I plan to finally buy them all soon. Adore this band...my only flaw about Nightwish last year is that we didn't get them as a support act when other countries did!

Yeah Reckoning Night is a great place to start w/older Sonata. Personally, you can't go wrong with any album from the first one Ecliptica (avoid the 15th anniversary rerecording at all cost!) up through Unia as I find that those are the ones I revisit the most. Not that the ones after it suck, (though personally I hate Stone Grows Her Name) it's just that their direction has been more of a hit and miss for me but I think with Pariah's Child and hopefully this new album there's new life in the band. Edited by PolarizeMe

All I've played is SA on shuffle for two days now!

I think Stones Grow Her Name is alright actually...a lot more commercial but I like it a lot.

I think this band is becoming another obsession. I already know I love them more than DT or KX.

I think Stones Grow Her Name is alright actually...a lot more commercial but I like it a lot.

I think this band is becoming another obsession. I already know I love them more than DT or KX.

Traitor... How can you even compare the two? ;)

For those who are just getting into Sonata Arctica I recommend starting with their debut, then just listening to the rest chronologically. They're one of those bands where doing this will actually reward you. Besides, their debut contains three or four of their biggest hits still to this day, so might as well.

So far they are pretty equal...I enjoy more of SA though

So far they are pretty equal...I enjoy more of SA though

They're about equal to me as well, though I think I'll give the edge to King's X due to their diversity and versatility among all members - with Sonata Arctica it's all down to Mr. Kakko (and previously Jani did some work too, but not enough).

In any case, the bands are so different that I never want to think about which one I really prefer. Apples and oranges sort of thing.

I've always been a bit of a Sonata fan boy, but this song is amazing and I've been listening to it every day at least twice... And this is me trying not to overplay it and wear it out before the album hits.

I won't be rash and give the song a 10/10 though - I'll give it a solid 9/10 :D

I really got to listen to more SA....so i could chime in more, lol

As soon as i emerge from the flower kings. wheneever that happens, lol

Mick

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them Mick.

Maybe you'll join me in being one of the few who ends up listening to their their prog metal albums more than their power metal albums!

This band goes from being completely structured & coherent for the first four albums and then BAM -- the mastermind of the band (Tony Kakko, lead vocalist and composer) decides to break all the rules and establish his own genre of metal, essentially. It's crazy, and old "fans" have been bitching about it non-stop ever since... But I love it.

Here's a sample of what's in store: