Star Trek: Discovery

Del_Duio

Guys, just found out that they released a lot of new info about the show and it's pretty depressing.

Looks like the official word now is that STD (yeah, that's going to be mighty fitting I'll bet) is set 10 years before TOS. They're going to have a female lead but this time she's not going to be a Captain but instead a Lt. Commander. They're making a big deal about having a gay character on the show and will probably go way out of their way to shove it down our throats each week for no reason (giggity).

But my main concern is: WHY GO BACKWARDS AGAIN!?? Have they not learned anything from Enterprise? And they couple this with their streaming service only crap? And that terrible ship design?

Holy shit guys, I think they're seriously trying to kill this franchise. Wow.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery/

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 3

The good:

It's in the prime universe. After the Kelvin incident. (Whew... That's a load off my mind. I was worried that my Trek was done.)

It revolved around canon events. (Always good to tie up loose ends and reenforce the existing tapestry of Trek)

They've implied a flexible timeline. (I'm high on Time Travel stories as a way to expand the setting beyond a rigid construct.)

The neutral:

Ads and subscription service. (I'm not so down on this... if the franchise is profitable, that's good.)

So much emphasis on gender and sexual preference. (Star Trek has historically been very good at normalizing people of different stripes, not highlighting them as different. Tread lightly here.)

Only 13 episodes. (Nu-TV condensed season format. Sometimes less is more, sometimes less is less. They're gonna lost a lot of time to build characters.)

The bad:

Pre-TOS era. (Don't do what's been done, move forward. Don't put yourself in that box.)

No standards and practices. (Fuller bragged that the new series won't be subject to censorship. Star Trek should be family friendly: kids need to watch Star Trek. It's about a hopeful future. It's important for kids to get that message.)

Emphasis on the Klingon War. (We don't need another show about war and conflict right now. We need a show about exploration and humanity.)

Lead will not be Captain. (Why not? The shows are historically about the crews, and the captains are the leaders of those crews.)

Only 13 episodes. (Nu-TV condensed season format.)

• Like 1

Skimmed through some that and will go back for a full read. While I'm excited the show can be bolder don't make it something parents won't want their children to watch like Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica...

To be fair, they cancelled Enterprise just as it was finding its footing and telling good stories within the established universe. Hopefully Discovery will pick up on it. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

The bad:

Pre-TOS era. (Don't do what's been done, move forward. Don't put yourself in that box.)

No standards and practices. (Fuller bragged that the new series won't be subject to censorship. Star Trek should be family friendly: kids need to watch Star Trek. It's about a hopeful future. It's important for kids to get that message.)

Agree on these 3 points 100%.

Do you remember those ridiculous ENT shower scenes? Look, I get a jingle at a nearly nude T'Pol like everyone else but do we really need more crap like that in Trek? Isn't that covered on TV by.. oh let's see.. Nearly everything else already?! Only now we'll get to see some SHOEHORNED SPACE SAUSAGE ACTION. Oh boy, I can't wait to watch this with my daughter already........

Plus nobody tuned in each week to check out Janeway's ta-tas. They tuned in to watch episodes like Darmok, The Inner Light, In the Pale Moonlight, or The Visitor.. Stuff that makes you think and feel better after 60 minutes.

And something I thought of this morning too: They're already talking about how we might see TOS characters appearing in season 2 of this. Can you believe it? Recasting TOS crew members already again? It's the Spider Man movies of the Alpha Quadrant! I can go into a ST convention in a year or so an potentially see all three versions of Captain Kirk.

It's the watered down Borg all over again, and now they're here to wash away TOS completely!

Well maybe not, but it's not looking good.

Edited by Del_Duio

The bad:

Do you remember those ridiculous ENT shower scenes? Look, I get a jingle at a nearly nude T'Pol like everyone else but do we really need more crap like that in Trek? Isn't that covered on TV by.. oh let's see.. Nearly everything else already?! Only now we'll get to see some SHOEHORNED SPACE SAUSAGE ACTION. Oh boy, I can't wait to watch this with my daughter already........

Plus nobody tuned in each week to check out Janeway's ta-tas. They tuned in to watch episodes like Darmok, The Inner Light, In the Pale Moonlight, or The Visitor.. Stuff that makes you think and feel better after 60 minutes.

And something I thought of this morning too: They're already talking about how we might see TOS characters appearing in season 2 of this. Can you believe it? Recasting TOS crew members already again? It's the Spider Man movies of the Alpha Quadrant! I can go into a ST convention in a year or so an potentially see all three versions of Captain Kirk.

It's the watered down Borg all over again, and now they're here to wash away TOS completely!

The possibility of seeing established TOS characters doesn't necessarily mean recasting the original crew. It could just as easily mean (and I think MORE likely) recasting Harry Mudd, Trelane, Spock's dad, or characters like that.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

The bad:

The possibility of seeing established TOS characters doesn't necessarily mean recasting the original crew. It could just as easily mean (and I think MORE likely) recasting Harry Mudd, Trelane, Spock's dad, or characters like that.

They can use Pine and Quinto for a cameo. Who knows? All the characters are out there.

The bad:

They can use Pine and Quinto for a cameo. Who knows? All the characters are out there.

Guess that could happen...but from a money pov it'd probably be too costly to go with those two, no? Since the show is supposed to be a decade before TOS, I guess they could even have Captain Pike in there at some point. (It had been mentioned that he & Spock served together for 11 years.) I don't think I really need any of TOS characters though

I think they're seriously trying to kill this franchise.

Just my opinion, but I think that Star Trek, as a television series, has run its course. The time periods may change, the main characters may change, but the series itself is condemned to be the same old, same old.....

- The crew will always be predominantly human, and all other species will be no more than humans with weird markings or faces.

- The same technology: warp cores, phasers, shields, etc., and of course, the non-stop technobabble.

- The same plot lines: dealing with other cultures, the occasional firefight with hostile ships, internal dramas and romances, etc.

I have no interest in Star Trek: Discovery. It's not going to offer anything new.

Just my opinion, but I think that Star Trek, as a television series, has run its course. The time periods may change, the main characters may change, but the series itself is condemned to be the same old, same old.....

- The crew will always be predominantly human, and all other species will be no more than humans with weird markings or faces.

- The same technology...the non-stop technobabble.

- The same plot lines: dealing with other cultures, the occasional firefight with hostile ships, internal dramas and romances, etc.

I have no interest in Star Trek: Discovery. It's not going to offer anything new.

Perhaps more accurately you think Star Trek has run its course, because theatrical films are more likely condemned to same old-same old by telling a similar tale every four years. Trek is best on TV being able to tell different types of stories, action packed two part episodes, the unknown, Federation politics, character pieces, etc.

This time around the focus is not the captain and more alien races will make the crew. Yes budget and other practical matters usually mean humans in make up and prosthetics. We don't know if a CGI alien or Farscape like puppet won't make the crew.

Yes the a Federation tech will be the same but the other races encountered might have different interesting tech. Technobabble is weakness among a writing staff, perhaps the new team will be sharper. That said the universe is too vast to think nothing new can be told. "New" doesn't matter as much as "good".

The bad:

Guess that could happen...but from a money pov it'd probably be too costly to go with those two, no? Since the show is supposed to be a decade before TOS, I guess they could even have Captain Pike in there at some point. (It had been mentioned that he & Spock served together for 11 years.) I don't think I really need any of TOS characters though

A 30 second cameo to promote the next film is doable. I think.

Pike is definitely a possibility. Bruce Greenwood is affordable. I think.

The bad:

A 30 second cameo to promote the next film is doable. I think.

Pike is definitely a possibility. Bruce Greenwood is affordable. I think.

Love is all, love is all?

As for item 2 from the Slash Film article: Trek fans need to understand this is being shot in 2016 not 1964. Things will have an updated look you can't ignore progress making something big and bulky because they didn't know better in the 60's. I expect a Kelvin Universe look perhaps slightly more faithful to the TOS look.
  • Like 1

Guys, just found out that they released a lot of new info about the show and it's pretty depressing.

Looks like the official word now is that STD (yeah, that's going to be mighty fitting I'll bet) is set 10 years before TOS. They're going to have a female lead but this time she's not going to be a Captain but instead a Lt. Commander. They're making a big deal about having a gay character on the show and will probably go way out of their way to shove it down our throats each week for no reason (giggity).

But my main concern is: WHY GO BACKWARDS AGAIN!?? Have they not learned anything from Enterprise? And they couple this with their streaming service only crap? And that terrible ship design?

Holy shit guys, I think they're seriously trying to kill this franchise. Wow.

http://www.slashfilm...trek-discovery/

I agree, this thing is gonna suck rocks. Big ones.

As for item 2 from the Slash Film article: Trek fans need to understand this is being shot in 2016 not 1964. Things will have an updated look you can't ignore progress making something big and bulky because they didn't know better in the 60's. I expect a Kelvin Universe look perhaps slightly more faithful to the TOS look.

"Kelvin Universe", hmmmm....... Wait, wouldn't that be the Kelvinverse? :cool:

I think they're seriously trying to kill this franchise.

- The same technology: warp cores, phasers, shields, etc., and of course, the non-stop technobabble.

"and all other species will be no more than humans with weird markings or faces"...

... to explore mostly familiar aliens, to seek out new forehead wrinkles and new eyebrow ridges, to boldly go where many makeup artists have gone before...

• Like 1

After voyager and enterprise, i have low expectations for discovery. I will give it a shot but honestly it would have to work very hard to make me happy.

I'm rewatching Enterprise and really enjoying it.

• Like 1

After voyager and enterprise, i have low expectations for discovery. I will give it a shot but honestly it would have to work very hard to make me happy.

it's a show of failed potential

• Like 1

I saw maybe half a dozen episodes in the 2nd or 3rd season. It wasn't terrible but I didn't care about any of the characters (some were annoying). Gave up watching because of that.

Voyager doubly so. A much better show than ENT but the setup was incredible and they hardly did anything with it.

Voyager- 150 crew members, infinite photon torpedoes and presses of the reset button.

Interesting one about the number of photon torpedoes. To my mind, a photon torpedo is a sizzling ball of energy, not a tangible thing that's stored somewhere. It should just depend on the energy available to the emitter.

I do recall that in one of the movies, McCoy and Spock open one up to work on it, and it looks something like a plastic suitcase. That strongly disappointed me.